Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Looking for someone in Maryland to help with Carb cleaning.

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
Anyone in maryland interested in helping me out with some carb cleaning ?

I just picked up a 2001 VN750 with 2900 miles that has sat for the last 3/4 years.

I am located in glen burnie. I have cleaned carbs before but none on a new bike with out alot of room. so I am looking for someone to be bale to assist me in getting them off and pointing out things that I may not to know what to look for.

So if anyone can help or maybe even link to to a walk through or something that would be great.

#2 ·
Contact Crobins365 She lives outside of frederick and I believe she works Rockville, she may be able to help. :beerchug:

#5 ·
Funny you say that corbin is the one who directed me to this site. thanks for the reply.

#3 ·
Get a Clymer Manual it will assist in removing the carbs, but you will need a case of beer, a big hammer and alot of four letter words to get them back in. :doh:

#4 ·
In the mean time you could drain the tank, fill it with fresh gas, add a 1/2 can of seafoam and either start the bike if possible, or open the carb drains until you flush some of the new gas through, then let it sit and soak for a few days and then give it a go and see what happens. I've seen several seafoam miracles in my time that kept riders from having to remove and clean the carbs. Just a suggestion!

#6 ·
Ok here is what I have done....

Drained the tank, then treated the tank.

Filled tank with new gas (87 octane) and did 2oz of seafoam for every gallon of gas (so 6oz total)

ran fine on the 87 octane, just didn't have full 100% power ( Think this was due to the air filters)

I then filled tank up with 93 octane (what I planned on using to begin with, took it for a small ride to notice the bike really didn't have the full power. on the way home the bike stalled out on me (thank god it was a service road)

the bike then did not want to run right at all, (almost like a flooding deal) I then seen gas dripping out of the right air box ( it stop dripping) bike started out got about another mile down the road and cut out again (no gas dripping this time) finally got it home, and now it will start but as soon as I give it gas it stalls.

Now after reading on this forum I have found a thread where people claim after using seafoam treatment there bike does the same thing. This from what I read from you helpful members here is most likely because the Seafoam knocked lose some gunk and could be clogging the fuel system from feeding fuel.

anyways I changed the plugs and as soon as I did when I start the bike I now get a lite white like smoke coming out of the right pipe. I don't know if this could be a gapping issue or because it is clogged.

Corbin gave me something to try so when I get free time and a nice day I will try that. and post back.

I hate to be one taking shortcuts, and like to do the job correct, however after looking at how the carbs are on, I don't think beer and 4 letter words will help me :)

#9 ·
Corbin, LOL I left the hammer part out because me doing it by my self and having a hammer close by could be very dangerous! :)

#13 ·
The carbs on the vn750 are great carbs and aren't problematic. Traditionally, motorcycle carbs don't have issues that are manufactured into them. In a perfect world, if you could always get clean gas from a station, and your carb is adjusted correctly from the get go, you would never have an issue. The stories you will read on this site are ones where owners, or previous owners introduced issues to them. If the previous owner let the bike sit for long periods of time with gas in the tank and condensation was allowed to build up, gas got old, etc. and they didn't have something like Seafoam in the tank, the gas would have globbed up in areas, turned to varnish, and even rusted the interior of the tank and those problems are a pain, but can be resolved. The worst thing for a bike is for it to sit for long periods of time, and not be prepared for it. Diaphragms in the carbs can get stuck, and ports and valves can get clogged, to the point where they have to be removed and cleaned/rebuilt to get them back in usable condition. You can get a tank of bad gas once in a while and there's just about nothing you can do to prevent this. However, if you install inline fuel filters in both fuel lines you can prevent the garbage from getting into your carbs and causing issues. You may have to drain a tank of gas, but that's much easier than pulling and cleaning carbs.
It is normal for someone to see a bunch of carb related threads on this forum and think, this bike must have carb issues. Remember, this site is used primarily for folks solving issues. You won't see the thousands of us who never have carb issues opening a thread called, "My bike has never had carb problems". ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.