Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

NEW clutch not engaging!!!

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  yousername 
#1 ·
I just put in new clutch plates. Fired it up and went to go and now it won't move at all! Someone please tell me what the deal is.

#2 ·
is the pressure plate centered correctly (the part with the 5 bolts and springs)
are the bolts (with the springs) correctly torqued?
is the rod from the left side of engine that passes thru the basket to release the pressure plate correctly installed?
is the clutch adjusted correctly?
did you soak the clutch disks (frictions) in clean motorycycle oil before installing? (note, I said motorcycle oil, or other oil that's safe for our wet clutches)
did you offset the last plate one tab? (most of the tabs line up, last plate is offset 1 tab)

last but not least, are the rear splines in good order? (if they are stripped, you aint going anywhere). note: REAR splines, the ones at the rearmost bevel gear where the driveshaft connects to the rear final drive

#3 ·
What year bike? It makes a difference how the friction plates are installed. Did you install the chamfered spacer with the chamfer facing inward?

#4 ·
Any drag at all, like it's trying to pull?

What does the clutch lever feel like? Normal and springs back? Or loose and doesn't spring back?

Didn't place a steel at the bottom of the stack, did you?

Could be the clutch rod is stuck in the released position. The rod that crosses through the case to the clutch.

#10 ·
I'm hoping that I just need to adjust the cable. The lever is very firm with no play. Before I put in the new plates the clutch would engage but slip under load. Now I have nothing. I started with a friction pad and ended with a friction pad. The last pad is offset from the rest. I'm going to put slack in the cable and hope that I get results. If not I'll be pulling the cover to double check that everything is installed correctly.

#12 ·
Hope the cable adjustment helps. Plates 1-7 have their tangs into the outer clutch housing groves. Plate 8 has the tang into the secondary grove. Sounds like you did this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.