Any trick to this? I took it off a few months back to repaint the frame and I'm trying to find a decent way to attach it - can't get it anywhere near where it needs to be. Center stand was easy, it folds back all the way up to where the spring just about fits.
I removed my side stand over the winter to clean and grease it. Here is how I removed and replace the spring.
- Extend the side stand to the full open position.
- Insert coins, quarters worked best, into the openings in the now fully extended spring. As many as you can force into the opens. Double them up if possible.
- Retract the side stand.
- The coins keep the spring extended and the spring will fall off before the side stand is fully retracted.
- Reverse to install.
- Slowly extend the side stand while holding the spring with coin extension setup in place.
- Continue fully extending the side stand and the spring will fall into place.
- Remove the coins.
You can do the same thing with the spring removed.
- Bend the spring into a U shape.
- Insert coins in the large openings at the base of the U.
- Flip the spring over.
- Bend the spring into U share.
- Insert coins.
- Repeat until you can't insert any more coins. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to really stuff them in as much as possible.
- Install as outlined above.