Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

What is the bikers wave?

7K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  dutter 
#1 ·
I got my 750 Aug. of 2005, my first bike. I want to know more about the bikers Wave. When I ride and a bike comes from the other direction He/she gives me this low pointing straight armed kind of wave or greeting. I do not know what I am doing, but I return the gesture. When 30 Hard Case riders come form the other direction it seems very wise to gesture back. I just copy what they do. Please help as I do not wish to piss off the wrong gang or any gang for that matter. Maybe someone out there can give me some biker manors training. :confused:

#3 ·
The way it was explained to me was that it's an indication to another follow rider that you're looking out for each other. Kind of like a secret handshake to an exclusive club. In other words, no waving to the cages unless they have you in the crosshairs and refuse to hang up. But then you have other problems to deal with.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's happened before and will happen again.

#4 · (Edited)
You`ve got it right. It is just a friendly greeting between fellow riders. It`s less wind resistance to point your finger or stick your hand out to the side, than it is to raise your hand up higher. At least that`s my reasoning for the very casual aknowledgement of the other rider. If you do a search on the biker wave, there are a couple of threads in the past 6 months or so, where members commented on the response they get from different types of riders: ie. sportbikers, Harley riders etc. It varied quite a bit, from getting a fairly equal number of waves from all riders, to some who felt that Harley riders only waved to others on Harleys too. You aren`t going to get beat up for waving, or neglecting to wave back, if you miss seeing a wave at you. Sometimes traffic demands more attention than waving back does. It`s not a gang sign, or anything of the sort.

It`s kind of like a truckers wave. Almost every trucker I pass will respond with 1 or 2 fingers just raised off the steering wheel as we pass. If 3 or all 4 fingers are raised, thats a big wave!! I think someone here mentioned that Jeep driver all wave to each other too. So enjoy your rides and feel free to give the bikers wave to to all the others when it`s safe to do so.

#29 ·
I think someone here mentioned that Jeep driver all wave to each other too. So enjoy your rides and feel free to give the bikers wave to to all the others when it`s safe to do so.
Yes, poeple who own Jeeps wave at other Jeepers. They're called "Jeep brothers". Its also common for other Jeeps to slow down to create room in front of them to let another Jeep in that lane. People have done it for me and I them. The slogan for Jeepers, as pompous as it sounds, is: "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Told ya it was pompous.

As far bikes go, I wave to everyone if and when its safe. The only place I don't see it happening, in and around Philly, is on the highways separated by a wide median. I guess speeds are too high and you're too far from on coming traffic to be seen waving. I've noticed most HD riders wave if you wave first but they don't initiate...

#5 ·
here in texas, 90% of the riders wave at each other, the one that don't wave usually are to busy looking at the rode or just didn't see you. It seems like the riders brotherhood is pretty strong here....glad it is too.
eg: i stopped under a brigde on day, cause my wife has been buzing my phone for the past 20 minutes, while i was on the phone there were about 5 bikers driving by and slowed down to make sure i was ok...
I have heard that there are different way to wave, for Harley dude, they point down to the road and do the "peace sign", i just kinda do the same too, it's easier to point down instead of waving with your hand at shoulder level, especially on faster speed....
other like sports bikers just shake their heads down (twice) according to a fellow crouch rocket rider, others just don't wave ;)

#22 ·
Agreed. Nearly all of the bikers wave to each other here in Texas (well, North Texas, at least. I can't speak for any other part). The only folks that I've ever had not wave back are loud chopper riders. Most of them will wave back, too, but there are a few...

--FA

#6 ·
a buddy of mine who rides a sport bike says he always does a quick beep beep on the hrn.... i see it as a sign of agnoledgment.... i see them and say whats up.. nice bike and say safe all in one hand gesture... i mean its been pretty well summed up by all the others so i can say much more... just no middle fingers.... big macho harley riders dont like that!!!

#8 ·
#7 ·
The important one the helmet tap... remember this its sometimes acompinied with a hand down (like slow down) it means COPS I used to ride sport bike so the wave was below the handle bar and now the vulcan i just stick my hand out and give a rock on or thumbs up.... (its usulally below the bars out of habbit) we gotta look out for each other cause u know the other driver arnt...

#11 ·
I shoot my hand out to the side like 90 degrees from my body and shoot 'em as half ass peace sign. If I can't wave due to traffic, maneuvering, working all the controls at once, etc, I do just the simple head nod.

Some wave, some don't, some wave specific, some wave however. I've been waved to and ignored by all types of riders, on all types of bikes equally. Their ego problem or whatever, not mine.

It's just a fellow rider thing. You're out there together taking the same risks, for the same enjoyment, and your watching out for each other. There's likely more too it, but just keep it simple. ;)

#15 ·
OK now, what are the "rock-on" and "hang loose" signs? I know I`m out of the loop, so can someone clue me in here please?

#18 ·
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

#20 ·
I was reading somewhere about group riding. It mentioned that a rider in front of you knocking on his helmet with his knuckles or brushing back with hand in a sweeping motion, was telling you to cancel a signal light.

#21 ·
Thats good to know OHC, but my riding buddy is notorious for leaving his signal light on and I always ride the rear of our group and he is usually right in front of me, so I get up close and beep my horn and that usually works, if it don't I just forget it and figure its his Vance & Hines pipes to blame...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#23 ·
In minnesota just bout everybody waves. never noticed a difference in wave styles from one bike style or brand. Some do the single finger, devil horns, peace, or just a hand down. once in awhile you get guys that don't wave, but there are times i haven't either. if Im in a corner i'll just pop one finger up. (not THE finger)
I WONT wave at dudes on scooters though, no matter how big the engine. but those dudes trick you, cuz some of those bikes look like rockets or goldwings strait on. so sometimes i wave, then after they pass and I see what they are riding i kick myself.

#32 · (Edited)
In minnesota just bout everybody waves. never noticed a difference in wave styles from one bike style or brand. Some do the single finger, devil horns, peace, or just a hand down. once in awhile you get guys that don't wave, but there are times i haven't either. if Im in a corner i'll just pop one finger up. (not THE finger)
I WONT wave at dudes on scooters though, no matter how big the engine. but those dudes trick you, cuz some of those bikes look like rockets or goldwings strait on. so sometimes i wave, then after they pass and I see what they are riding i kick myself.
I wouldn`t choose a scooter as my ride, but I know a few people who ride them as their sole means of transportation because their fuel costs are $5-10 per week. How is it different for us to not aknowledge a rider on a scooter, than it is for a Harley, BMW or Goldwing rider to ignore a rider on any other brand. I will give the biker wave to anyone on two wheels, including scooters and even bicycles. It doesn`t cost me anything, and if they get a little kick out of it, so much the better. JMHO OlHoss :smiley_th

#26 ·
...just not scooters right?....

#30 ·
Thanks for this bigrep, I was only familiar with the left, right and stop signals. The motorcycle specific ones, while somewhat intuative, were all new to me.

I believe another signal to cancel blinking turn lights is to hold your hand up and extend all fingers and thumb, then pinch them all together and repeat 2-3 times, imitating a flash.

#28 ·
If they're on two wheels and have a motor, I wave.

#34 ·
found this while searching for other signs...

HELMET....ATTENTION ! ! !
A HELMET ON THE SHOULDER OF THE ROAD indicates a motorcyclist has a problem and may need assistance. Help make this a universal signal by spreading the word and by stopping when you see a " HELMET ON THE SHOULDER ".

#37 ·
what if just the head is still in the helmet?

#40 ·
Thank you, That was interesting reading. There was more to it than I thought. Here in Iowa about 90% wave. People are quick to wave or say hello to any stranger or friend. I think its kind of fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.