Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - View Single Post - Tell me about fork oil / very soft front suspension
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
OlHossCanada
Linkmeister Supreme

Sorry to hear about your bike getting knocked over and subsequent problems with the front end suspension. It`s especially a PITA when you rely on the scoot for transportation. I do not know what the difference is, and I`m not 100% sure about this, but I do not believe that there is any automotive oil to substitute for the fork oil. I`m sure someone else will respond soon to confirm or refute this.

As regards your front wheel misalignment, I may be able to offer some helpful info, if it should be needed again in the future. My forks were twisted about 25* out of line last June, when I hit the guardrail and ditch. My buddy rode the bike 4 miles home like that for me. I eventually put a jack and piece of 1x6 under the engine, to jack the front end up just enough to take the weight off the front wheel. I then loosened the two clamp bolts holding the fork tubes on each side. My adult daughter held the handlebars while I gripped the tubes and twisted them back straight again, (eyeball straight anyway). Knowing you can do this may allow you get yourself and the bike home, if it should happen again.

I hope you can get the problems with bike and careless/incompetent bike shop resolved soon and too your satisfaction. Good luck.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome