Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Tire Balance Weights

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
This is the first time I've had a ride with balanced tires. In another thread it mentioned using temporary tape-on TEST weights. I'm replacing my tires, and noticed the only weights appear to be taped on the rim near the spoke ends rather than clipped on at the bead like automotive weights. Have I been running on test weights, are there tape on weights that are supposed to remain on for the life of the tire, or am I looking at weights added to balance the rims? I'd post pictures, but no camera! These things look sorta like a piece of Chicklets chewing gum, but thinner and made out of what appears to be lead. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
no pictures neccesary they make tape on weights for wheels, they are usually for the fancy automotive wheels with low pro tires to keep the weights hiddin and protect the rim the key to these weights are clean the wheel but should last the durration of the tire...

#3 ·
Great! I'll try to pick some replacements up soon.

#4 · (Edited)
They are not realy "TEST" weights, they were developed for use on "MAG" Magnesiun wheels because standard steel rim weights would not would not stay on. After MAG Aluminum wheels became popular Manufacturers made clamp on weights to fit but most consumers prefered the stick on weights because the looked better and did not damage the surface, even with the higher cost.

Plus stick on weights have an added advantage over clamp on weights. When properly installed on the inner surface of the rim centrifugal force will keep it in place and the foam adhesive acts as avibration dampener. With clamp on weights on the verticle lip of the rim centrifugal force and vibration works against it and tries to throw it off. Some stick on weights now use a clear vinyl tape over the weight as a precaution if the foam adhesive were to seperate from the weight. Also some clamp on weights now have the foam adhesive to help keep it in place.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. Once again, the Clymer manual has been a source of confusion for me. They recommend using the tape on weights as temporary (test) weights to determine how much weight is needed, then replacing them with "permanent" automotive type weights.

#9 ·
I was just reading that section yesterday fc, and what I read was to "tape on a test weight", not to use "a tape on test weight". I don`t recall any specific reference to a permanent automotive type weight. Perhaps this is because I have been familiar with the stick on weights for 30+ years, for use on mag wheels, and did not even think about the clamp on automotive types for the bike wheels. I`ve got to get ready to go out right now, but will double check what I read, when I get back.

#7 ·
When I had mine mounted they used sticky weights in front and clips in the rear. I think I am going to get some Ride-on in there anyhow.

#8 ·
Yeah, after reading the pros and cons, I ordered some Ride-On for the new tires. Should be here early this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.