Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Black and orange VN750 project

9K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  tzrwesku 
#1 · (Edited)
So far so good. Engine, frame, triple tree, rear fender, tank, forks (lower part :)) and some small part painted black. Some other parts, like valve covers painted orange. Also started the "Ear shave" mod. Carb rejetted and pods installed. I used those rubber pipes from airbox to carb. Cutted them half and but them between carb and pod. IMO it looks kinda cool . Last pic is when bike was untouched... More to come, new head light (purchased), turn signals, tail light, handle bar (lower than original and also purchased), front fender from fibreglass, saddle shave and of course lowering set. Exhaust are going to be "self made" one sided with one or two muffler.

#7 · (Edited)
Last weekend I changed wheel bearings... what a pain in the a..e:mad:
Little updates. Pods end caps painted orange and crank filter end caps painted black (by the way, I hate chrome....)
I ended up to order a single speedometer with indicator lamps and fuel gauge. Drive gear for speedo was broken (stuck)
And what becomes to plug wires, they might be orange...
Few pics more and few pics of my first project bike EN500

Attachments

#8 ·
hurry up i wanna see it complete lol. looks good I'm excited to see it when its done.

#9 ·
Well, me too! Still lots of jobs to do and because of winter I have approximately 4 months time to get this project done before :motorcycl

#10 ·
Interesting way of doing the filters. I would replace them with oiled foam Uni filters. Those wire mesh things aren't very effective at actually stopping dirt.

#11 ·
That is true and thats why I am going to try/use a secret weapon... which is a oiled foam insert inside cone filter (made from real foam filter material). If this combination is too restrictive I will change filters to K&N or UNI pods.

#13 ·
Little by little it´s coming back together. Radiator and hoses connected. Battery case and all electrical components installed. Handle bar switches cable sleeves changed to red ones and also spark plug wires covered with same red cable sleeve. Also head lamp "installed". Head lamp bracket made from handle bar clamp centre "piece" (pics tells more).

Attachments

#14 ·
Slow progress. Brake calipers cleaned inside out and painted black. Brackets painted orange. New EBC semi sintered pads installed. New water temp gauge purchased and going to be installed where ingnition key was. New ignition key on the way and going to be installed some where, maybe "under" tank near thermostat housing. Rear footrest brackets painted black and left side plate modified little. Exhaust pipes under construction, just bought a Emgo two to one slash cut muffler. Tail light also purchased an it is a "maltese cross". (Pics tells more) And baby is on it´s feets again and it´s been named "The Painkiller"
(Thanks Judas...:rockon:) (Tank text "The Painkiller" ordered).

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Project "The Painkiller" going forward. Lowering brackets done and installed. Ended up to do the left side so that it is same time a bracket for lisence plate.
Also doing an oil change for rear shocks, I "tear them down" (remove spring) so it was lot easier to get old oil out (you can pump shocks). Also ended up to paint the upper and lower part of shock to black. Exhaust pipes almost welded and when this is done I am going to wrap them black. Coasters made and installed. More to come when these jobs are done, next is going to be MCCT. I am going to use 5mm thick steel plate and weld a nut for both side of plate and rest is obvious. New speedo arrived and if possible I`m trying to install it to old speedo housing. Added few pics.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Muffler itself contains two pieces. That two to one head (which I ended up to weld on to place) and the muffler "cone". Muffler "cone" slides on to that end piece and it have a "built-in" clamp. There are going to be clamped connection under frame where left side pipe connect to that what seen on pic. Have to do this to ensure easy remove of pipes if necessary. Pipes and muffller are going to be supported in two places. One is going to be just before that "two to one piece" and second in muffler itself.

#18 ·
I really like all the little accents you are adding.. its the small touches, the attention to
detail, that really make a bike stand out. The way you did the heads on the rotor bolts,
the calipers, the rear brake arm, etc.. very nice and very cool! Keep it up!

#22 ·
From Finland. And that mufller is made by EMGO (don´t know do they sell "two to one" piece only..) and for clearing my nick: My first name is Vesa and "tzrwesku" comes from Yamaha TZR250 which was my first bike ( 2 cylinder two-stroke with 50hp and dry weight 128kg, little devil:)) + my first name (little bit tangled)

Attachments

#25 ·
Some updates for my project. Installed a diy MCCTs. Turn lights fabricated from old EN500 lights by shorten the stalk. I removed the hollow bolt from rubber and cutted it a little bit so it fits inside lamp holder. Then I removed rubber stalk and J-B Welded the bolt inside lamp holder, voila, now I have a very short stalk blinkers!! Also done a little frame shave. I removed that UGLY tail piece and welded a new support brackets for rear fender. Idea is to use this bike as a "single seat" version but with possibility to use suction cup passenger seat. Also started to install new speedometer, neutral light, fuel meter, RPM works fine (or I assume because I havent fire this baby yet, just cranking) but, speedo is showing nothing but zero, maybe the hall sensor is broken or... have to clear this or otherwise I have to send it back to seller and demand new. Added few pics

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
I have been wondering if you realize Black and Orange were Harley Davidson's racing colors? lol :)

#33 · (Edited)
Yes, this is very safe way to ride and this also allows me to ride mid winter :)

But, setback to my project. Oil is leaking some where, I tried to figure it but could not find the source (fresh oil is so clear), F#¤K! Oil is dripping from front left, could be left side cover gasket which, ofcourse, means engine removal, double F¤#K...

#35 ·
Yeah, I will fix it, thank's for encouraging me! It's only one day job...

#36 ·
Check the o ring on the spark plug cover.also check the front left crankcase vent.with the ears it vented to the air box with a hose.it should have a breather on there.will leak oil without one.don't ask me how I know that;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.