Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Dealing with asphalt prepped for repaving

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Spencer1 
#1 ·
I've run into asphalt that has been stripped by machine as prep for a new layer. Sometimes, they aren't even kind enough to put up a warning sign. Very disconcerting to ride on! Front wheel wants to track in the grooves. Whole bike seems to shimmy like it doesn't have great traction. Probably doesn't due to it bouncing up and down on the rough surface. I wind up cutting my speed from 55+ down to 30 and even then its just less than white knuckles and no fun.

Anyone got any suggestions for dealing with roads like this? Am I just a pansy worrying about nothing? Don't remember dealing with this when I was younger but we didn't have roads like this either. Dirt roads weren't a problem with a smaller bike.

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with slowing down to a point where you are more comfortable as long as you move over to the right side if possible. I work on a road crew doing that kind of work and other things but it does make me nervous when I ride on that surface. I also dislike "grated" bridges.

Try to loosen up on your grips a bit and that helps you get a better feel. Try to relax and look for any waver in the grooves ahead. Be sure your tires are inflated to the correct pressure so they flex just right without riding too high on the grooves. Good luck.

#3 ·
The bike will be fine. It is unsettling sometimes but the more you get used to your bike the less it will bother you. I dont fight it since the bike wants to go straight. But yeah, i hate that ****, specially when you hit it in the rain.

#4 ·
I staggered thread pattern on the tires helps , more or less I just power through it and let the bike do its thing

#5 ·
yup, its unsettling a little but the bikewill ride through it fine. its the uneven lanes I really hate

#6 ·
If you mean where they have removed most of the asphalt and cut deep grooves in what is left (there's a name for that, but I don't remember what it is) I don't ride on it. If I run into it unexpectedly, I slow way down, and get off asap, even if it means doing a U turn. I've even had cars tossed all over the road by that. It's 10 times more dangerous than a dirt road, even a washboard dirt road, because the grooves are parallel to the bike. Even "rain grooves" can be dangerous on a bike. Earlier this year I rode 93 all the way across Nevada, and it was the most miserable trip I can remember. Over half of it has rain grooves, and between the grooves and the wind, the bike was all over the road.

#7 ·
I've been dealing with this recently. They just re-did rt 4 on my commute to DC.

You know what is worse than that? In my neighborhood they recently put tar over all of the cracks in the road. It's EVERYWHERE. For some reason it is 1/4 deep and 2 inches wide in some spots. When it gets hot, it's like the road is covered in chewing gum.

#8 ·
And then don't forget the manhole covers that are several inches deep after they put down the new asphalt. My city has been sued (and lost) more than once due to these causing motorcycle accidents. Fortunately no fatalities that I know of.

#10 ·
Ok, Now does anybody have any tips on riding on a well maintained gravel road??? The roadbed it tightly packed with some medium sized gravel evenly spread across it and very level with no slope.
I'm asking because I'm considering buying a house 4/10's of a mile down the road.

#14 ·
You're going to have a pretty dirty bike, that's for sure! As long as that doesn't bother you, just take it slow.

#12 ·
A lot depends on the bike, and yes, tread pattern on the tires can make a big difference to... Cruisers generally don't like gravel roads...it's not the fat rear tire, it's that skinny front one that seems to "swim".

Stay loose, keep your weight (as much as you can) on the pegs. Use your rear brake going downhill on gravel...

A few years riding off road/dirt bikes does seem to help....but best advise has been given- Trust the bike. Don't make sudden moves and keep your speed down...(but not too slow, as this can make you "sink" more in loose gravel)

I have a rather steep driveway that's 1 inch white rock. Pucker moment going up or down when I had my FJR...I can pretty much fly up the thing now on my Bonniville....

#17 ·
Generally when riding on gravel I keep my feet off the pegs unless going downhill when I may need my rear brake. I rarely get above 15 mph but I can see that if end up with that property I'm going to have to "man up" and learn to ride on the courser surface.

#13 ·
Gravel does suck. I live on a gravel road, and have 2 miles of it going one way and 5 the other. Just slow down, loosen your grip on the bars, and let the bike do its thing. Also, wear long sleeves whenever possible. The front tire likes to throw up tiny rock chips that aren't big enough to cause damage to paint or skin, but they sure sting a bit. Take corners and curves VERY SLOWLY. Stay on top of the bike's COG rather than leaning into curves. Not fun, but you get used to it.

#15 ·
I only see gravel as bad if it is deep, or if it is scattered on pavement. I ride a dual sport bike with street oriented tires 70 mph on dirt roads with no problem. A large heavy bike will need to be ridden slower, but gravel is not directional like those grooves. My Vulcan is dirty. I do clean it up once in a while, but it is impossible to keep it clean and ride it at the same time, especially in AZ, where even paved roads are covered with a layer of dirt.

#16 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with slowing down to a point where you are more comfortable as long as you move over to the right side if possible. I work on a road crew doing that kind of work and other things but it does make me nervous when I ride on that surface. I also dislike "grated" bridges.

Try to loosen up on your grips a bit and that helps you get a better feel. Try to relax and look for any waver in the grooves ahead. Be sure your tires are inflated to the correct pressure so they flex just right without riding too high on the grooves. Good luck.
For the same reason I imagine - that wandering feeling. Ark, I agree with Tom, loosen up and just let the bike do it's thing. You'll get that wandering feeling on the grooved asphalt and on open-grate bridges. It is disconcerting and even though it doesn't feel like, you'll be fine. The best advice I can give in that situation: relax. Don't use any big operator inputs, if you have to stop on an open-grate bridge; when you get going again, easy on the throttle and let the clutch lever out nice and easy. Just relax, you'll be fine. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.