Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Ok. I know, I'm a pain

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sky Rider 
#1 ·
I went to remove the carbs today. I looked at the Clymer and looked at the bike. After about twenty minutes I gave up. What am I supposed to do with the black (air?) box covering my carbs? Any ideas? I can't get the carbs out with it in....:-(

#2 ·
related question

I am also interested in what to do with the black airbox, as I ned to change the fuel lines on my 91. I have a related question, what size fuel lines go on this bike? 3/8"? or is it a metric size line? I had a fuel line crack the other day, I sliced off the end where it was cracked, and put it back on to get me home, but now I'm thinking I should really replace all the fuel lines coming off the tank into the carbs. There were no clamps on the lines, they are just pushed onto the petcock. Should I put clamps on? and what is the correct size fuel line so the size is correct?
And, how do I remove that black airbox so I can reach down to the carbs and replace those lines?
Thanks.

Steve
Chelsmford, MA

#3 ·
Originally ,the gas lines should have a wire spring clamp on them. My guess is the black airbox can only be removed with an engine pull. When I looked at replacing my gas lines (on the 95), it looked like too much work so just trimed them up a little and used a high quality screw clamp on them. I would read up on how to remove the carbs if you really want to replace the gas lines.

#5 ·
There is no way to remove the surge tank without removing the engine. However, if you follow the Clymers manual, it tells you to remove some stuff so that the tank can be lifted. Make sure you follow the removal steps to the letter!
Once all the clutter is removed you can lift up the rear of the surge tank. The ducts it refers to are the black tubes that connect to the carbs. These can be removed from the surge tank and it opens up a whole new world for you to get the the rest of the hose work and clamps so you can remove the carbs. It's a tight fit but it can be done. If the diagrams aren't enough help, the Kaw website or even Ron Ayers has the micro fiche online for you to look at. I know it helped me.

Believe me, you don't want to drop the engine unless you absolutly have to. It's an even bigger pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.