Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

lowered bike 2"

6K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  slimvulcanrider 
#1 ·
I just finished lowering my 750 by 2". I used the brackets listed on this forum. I only had to make minor changes, The axle diameter was larger than the drawings and I had to make room for the shock by triming the bracket down on top about 3/8". The ride is stiffer because the shock is at an angle more horizontal than before. Other than that, everything fit very well. I can get on and off easier now. I can live with the stiffer ride for now but I think when I can afford them I will get the shorter shocks. Next the goats belly comes out.

#3 ·
I took the drawing to a machine shop. The owner was once a rider. He made them out of 5/16 aircraft grade aluminum. Took them in one afternoon and got them the next morrning. Also had the axle made 3/4" longer. That way I didn't have to grind the swing arm or grind the castle nut in half. I thought everything was there for strength and I didn't want to grind it away.

#11 ·
Didn't work for me either.All that came up was a join now page.

#12 ·
Your the host. Log out of the page & try the link then. If it remembers you, it will open your stuff. Any joe shmo won't get the same results. You can still copy the pics location from the the pic properties & post it here as usual. I did it last night. I don't know how photobucket is set up but with shutterfly I had no problem.

#13 ·
inside photobucket, every pic has several code lines, one for email and instant messageing, a direct link, HTML code for places like Hi5 and myspace, and then they have the image code wich we use for here.

when you click the image code it automatically coppies the code to your clipboard so you can just come into the forum here and type your post then press "CTR+V" . After that you should see something like this [ IMG ]http://http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/slimcowboy1978/BaseChopp.jpg[ /IMG ]. I put spaces between the [ IMG ] and [/IMG] so that you could see what i was talking about... if you close the spaces this is what you would see

I hope this helps you out.

#16 ·
looks good.. what's the approx. cost to have these brackets done?

#20 ·
I made mine from 1/4" steel. A friend gave me the iron plates and another friend cut them for me with a torch. Then I ground them down with my grinder. No $ out of pocket. I took bman's idea and changed it a bit. And with his advice got them to fit.

#22 ·
Got just as much into mine:) But if you don't have the tools to do it yourself it could be cheaper to buy shocks.

#21 ·
Yes, I see the Harley shocks you point out on e-bay. Shice our shocks are 12.5 " center
of the eye to center and the Harley shocks are 11.5" that is only 1". and are the eyes 9/16"? don't look it but could be. When I get shocks some day, I will get the ones for the bike at 10.5". Thanks anyway.

#23 ·
I just posted the link from ebay, cause i was using my laptop...and just had to reinstall the os on it and hadn't reconfigured the wifi card yet...I just got a set of 11 1/2" shocks of off ebay for 25 bucks...the shocks are all the correct dimensions for our bike...also I have 35 bux invested in my lowering brackets...You guys need to hit up the recycle-centers for scrap metal...and get some friends with a torch...I own my own so that helps...another must have tool is a 4 or 6" grinder.

#24 ·
Yes, you are all right, it could be done cheaper, but some of us don't have the resources
to do every thing our selves. As far as shocks, I think I would have to see them to know if they would fit. A picture just don't always do it for me.The problem I have now is the side stand. After lowering, the bike sits up straighter than before and I am afraid it may fall over. Have any of you ever bent the side stand? If I would heat it, would it bend or break? It looks like a cast piece of steel. I don't know my metals well enough to know what it will do. If I could find one for little or nothing I would try it. May have to go to junk yard and see what they have. Problem with that is it's like 1 1/2 hrs. from my home.
If any one has a suggestion I need all the help I can get. I've gotten loads of information
so far, and appreciate it all. My mods have been done by direct suggestions or from post on this forum. Thanks guys.

#28 ·
I ground down the foot pad on my stand.Marked it with a sharpie while it was down and groun it down to the mark so it matched the angle I needed for the proper "lean".

#30 ·
It wasn't alot it was mostly on the inside towards the bike were it's the thickest and works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.