Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stator replaced, 2 R/R's and still not charging

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  tprender 
#1 ·
Well I replaced my stator and am getting 30 VAC at idle up too 120+ VAC nearer red line at the three stator leads. I believe that is what I should be getting. My problem is I have tried 2 r/r's and all I get is about 13.5 volts when any RPM is sustained for an amount of time. The battery is at about 12.6 volts when disconnected, and it drops to about that when given throttle, but when held at any RPM it levels out at 13.5. The second R/R was verified working on another bike. I'm thinking that maybe I have bad connections on one or more of the non yellow wires going to the R/R, Does this sound reasonable? How can I verify those three wires are going where they need to be going?

Thanks
-ryan

#4 ·
How old is your battery? Is it an MF or regular? Have you had the battery load tested?

#7 · (Edited)
here is a colored schematic of the charging system to help determine where the yellow wires are supposed to go.

here is a picture of the R/R connector pin colors

I would check all connections in the charging system for good connections, also check the male plug to the R/R for corrosion. Have you relocated the R/R? Most people move it for heat reasons, but there are also issues to its stock location due to battery acid dripping down on it from the batter box, which causes corrosion.

Do you have the TS Proceedures for the charging system?

if not here is the "Clymers" guide to trouble shooting the charging system.

#8 ·
here is a colored schematic of the charging system to help determine where the yellow wires are supposed to go.

here is a picture of the R/R connector pin colors
Thanks that exactly what I was looking for.

It's a Brand New mf battery
The R/R is just sitting on the rear fender behind the battery a bit until i can get everything sorted out, then I will finish my bracket and mount it between the side cover and rear wheel.
I had no plug for the R/R I was sent one that I soldered on.

From what I have been told the voltage should raise with RPM's. I get the highest voltage at idle (13.5) or when I keep a constant RPM for a few seconds or more, that could be 1000 rpms, or 4500, it levels at 13.5.
But when accelerating it drops to 12.6. and That is what has me most concerned.

thanks
-ryan

#10 ·
I agree with Slim and Corbin your readings should be more than 13.5. Above 2000 it should be easily in the 14's. May still be a bad connection. Your reading at the stator wires or great. It seems after that you are loosing a good connection. Just a little corrosion can cause this. I had that problem and it causes the wires to heat up because to much power is trying to go through less wire, or the RR gets hotter than normal also.

#11 ·
Agree with weh44att. You'd be surprised at how a minuscule amount of corrosion on a connector can screw up the charging system. Make sure the MOLEX connector going to the R/R is clean and all the internal connectors are clean before you plug it in to the R/R. You should also check and see that the blades on the R/R are clean as well. I replaced my MOLEX connector because battery acid had gotten on it and pretty much destroyed it. I used individual spade connectors crimped onto the wires.

#12 ·
I just replaced my stator and r/r with new aftermarket units. Cleaned all of the terminals when putting the bike back together on Sunday. When I started it up it only read about 13v at all rpm's. Put dielctric grease on all of the plug ins. Did ride it to work today with no problems, have not checked it for voltage today yet.
It is an 86 with 19,000 miles. This is the 2nd stator on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.