Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

White smoke oil fill cap

993 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  crowley1027 
#1 ·
After a 20 mile ride to work, an 8 hour shiftI, and 20 miles home, I opened the oil fill cap for the third time and noticed for the third time, a light white smoke in the crank case. Very similar to water about to boil, where the vapor just wisps on top of the water.

Coolant level hasn't changed (that I know of - - the overflow hasn't moved, but that's not to say I'm losing coolant.... However, no heating issues at all) and I don't know what else it could be.

Next move is to remove the crankcase vent breather and route a tube up to a clean place and leave it open.

#2 ·
I had the same thing happen a few times after an oil change. Some wispy smoke came from the vent breather, but it went away shortly after and has not returned.

It could also be the stator cooking..

#4 · (Edited)
Note the outside temperature, humidity and pressure. More than likely, it's just atmospherics and will go away in a day or so. Probably not Global warming.

Water vapor condenses into the oil and sometimes when it gets hot you see this. On Harleys, you really have to get the oil up to above the boiling point of water to make sure the internals stay corrosion free. However, some ding dong put my boiling oil tank directly under my ass on my Sportster. What were these engineers smoking?

#8 ·
Aside from oil blackening (lol) no. And I haven't checked coolant color. I'm going to do a total coolant system flush (again) when I can buy a jug of water... Maybe this week or next. I'll post results.

I seem to remember a bit of wet fouling on the rear plug... But it was long ago lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.