Painting engine question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Painting engine question

I had an accident last month and since I'm having to replace a few things (rip Vance and Hines pipe) I decided that this is the perfect time to paint the engine. I'm basically doing a complete tear down and re-painting/polishing everything down to the last bolt. So that brings me to the engine. I'll be using the VHT high temp gloss black paint and taping off the fins/all chrome. I would also like to keep all the bolts on the bike chrome. So short of meticulously taping off every bolt, what's the best way of doing this? I was think about doing a rough tape round all the bolts and then completely finishing the rest of the engine and then taking off tape, unscrewing bolts slightly, taping them off and then spraying around/under bolts. I already have a non leaking solid engine so in the process of unscrewing each bolt one by one and painting I would hate to cause any issues and I'm aware that some/ if not all bolts will need to be torqued to specs, which is fine but would prefer to not have to replace any gaskets and such if doing the above process warrants it. Also, what about the cylinder head gasket and other rubber parts on the engine, can those be hit with the VHT or should they be taped off? I'm looking to turn this VN to near showroom quality so everything will be meticulously cleaned/replaced and when I'm done I don't want to look back at 1 bolt and go "should have taken more time on that" so response from that standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:05 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
We didn't bother with the 'every bolt' thing. It would have taken forever!

If you're loosening 1 bolt at a time and re-tightening, it won't affect the gasket. If you have an entire covers set of screws loose, it could mess with the gasket.

We hit the rubber parts of the valve cover gasket with the VHT, seems fine so far.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

only way I can think of would be to tape all the bolts, OR, get new replacement bolts, and change them out after painting is done. doing one at a time *should* retain all the gasket seals and such.

might look into some sort of coating to put on the bolts that can be peeled off after painting, but I dont know of one off hand

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
only way I can think of would be to tape all the bolts, OR, get new replacement bolts, and change them out after painting is done. doing one at a time *should* retain all the gasket seals and such.

might look into some sort of coating to put on the bolts that can be peeled off after painting, but I dont know of one off hand
I've never tried it, but maybe Vaseline or other oil base substance....brushed on bolt heads with a very fine paint brush ?

Originally WilliamTech
Since May 2011
86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock -Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
Jardine Fwd Controls, Custom Fenders w/Rails
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery, Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !

...have a Vulcan good day !
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The time it would take to carefully coat each bolt with Vaseline or some easy to remove coating would likely take longer than just painting them, them backing them out and stripping the paint off (with a wire wheel in a dremel tool, or just solvent and a rag)

I'd likely remove each, one at a time ....then replacing, after polishing the heads to a mirror finish. Just chuck the bolt in a drill and use a pad with a fine metal polish. That against the black cases would look awesome
thtanner likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:05 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The time it would take to carefully coat each bolt with Vaseline or some easy to remove coating would likely take longer than just painting them, them backing them out and stripping the paint off (with a wire wheel in a dremel tool, or just solvent and a rag)

I'd likely remove each, one at a time ....then replacing, after polishing the heads to a mirror finish. Just chuck the bolt in a drill and use a pad with a fine metal polish. That against the black cases would look awesome
I agree with KM.....then clearcoat or clear finger nail polish to prevent future rust.

Originally WilliamTech
Since May 2011
86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock -Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
Jardine Fwd Controls, Custom Fenders w/Rails
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery, Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !

...have a Vulcan good day !
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech3 View Post
I agree with KM.....then clearcoat or clear finger nail polish to prevent future rust.
X2 on both of these! It kinda sucks but its the best way if you're going for quality.

- "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

'92 VN750
AGM battery, Iridium Spark plugs, Repaired/upgraded wiring per Mcinturff method, RLU removed, Repaired shift linkage, Exhaust baffles removed, Black ISO grips installed, installed SH775 R/R, Ignition coil relay mod, replaced stator housing.

Future projects: whatever it takes to keep riding

Currently working on: Light bar, LED upgrades, Dash cleanup/paint
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
clean,decrease,clean,decrease AGAIN,clean,and sand any corrosion. oh, did I say clean?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
thtanner likes this.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This is how I'm going to do it, thanks. Since you made the Torque Value thread, I have a question for you. I'm about to do the tuxedo mod and replace the dampers while I have the engine out and I cannot find anywhere between the two manuals where it mentions the torque values for the mounting bolts on the inside alternator cover. I have some dificulty decifering the different terminoligy for the engine section of torque values.

Last edited by Knifemaker; 12-19-2017 at 02:08 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIronTyson View Post
This is how I'm going to do it, thanks. Since you made the Torque Value thread, I have a question for you. I'm about to do the tuxedo mod and replace the dampers while I have the engine out and I cannot find anywhere between the two manuals where it mentions the torque values for the mounting bolts on the inside alternator cover. I have some dificulty decifering the different terminoligy for the engine section of torque values.
You say you looked here?:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-...ue-values.html

Do you mean stator?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement