Gevo's everyday ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Gevo's everyday ride

Hello everyone. This thread is meant to document my bike, it's servicing and most importantly it's transformation from what it is today (bone stock) to whatever ti ends up being as time goes on.

The only things I have done to it now is.... clean some of the chrome to a shine and installed a cell phone holder. Removed existing and ugly windscreen.

On order, new LED headlight and housing.

In research, which windscreen to install! As this is my daily transportation to/from work, it needs to stay comfortable! I used to ride a CBR600RR for a few years.. and as much as I loved that bike, I can't lie and say it's comfortable past 20 minutes of riding

I own a 2007 CRF450X, I love that thing!

OK. Here is how she stood day 1, and day 2 without the windscreen.

Last edited by Gevo; 08-21-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 PM

I have yet to see a windshield on a VN750 that I did not consider a eye sore. Even the rare OEM windsheild fairing. As the VN750 takes it's styling from the mid 1980's, so too do the windshields offerings. If you want a "more" stylish windshield you see on later model cruisers, chances are your going to have to find one you like made for a different bike OR "universal" application, get detailed dimensions, and see if it can be reasonably modified to fit the VN750.

Windshields are IMO a sacrifice of aesthetics for comfort (function over form). Designed in mind for the guy who daily commutes, rides often in cold and or wet weather, OR who wants one for the occasional long distance ride. Touring bikes are the only style of bike I feel a windshield looks good / appropriate on. I've seen very few cruisers (of any time period) that I felt the windshield looked good on the bike.
TR_Irish likes this.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter

Last edited by Iceshot; 08-21-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

I agree that the bike looks much better without the windshield!

I DO daily commute, although that alone wouldn't be cause to get the windshield as I'm mostly in traffic (thus the reason for the bike) and not too many bugs to worry about getting on me. The main reason I will end up with one is that in Southern CA you may have mild winters, but still it is cold in the mornings once Fall comes around. I prefer the windshield over layers of clothing.

I should add also in research is a seat that I can use without the sissy bar.

If you haven't figured yet, I got this bike not because I was searching for it, but because it came to me via a too good to pass deal I'm happy with it though! Just few changes to make it mine and... better?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevo View Post
I agree that the bike looks much better without the windshield!

I DO daily commute, although that alone wouldn't be cause to get the windshield as I'm mostly in traffic (thus the reason for the bike) and not too many bugs to worry about getting on me. The main reason I will end up with one is that in Southern CA you may have mild winters, but still it is cold in the mornings once Fall comes around. I prefer the windshield over layers of clothing.

I should add also in research is a seat that I can use without the sissy bar.

If you haven't figured yet, I got this bike not because I was searching for it, but because it came to me via a too good to pass deal I'm happy with it though! Just few changes to make it mine and... better?
Hard to relate to a "cold" Southern CA morning living in Minnesota! You may find using a versatile 3-4 season jacket and gloves OR specific summer and Spring / Fall gear the better way to go. I have a Summer and a different Spring/Fall jacket & gloves. No need to layer with the colder weather gear, I stay plenty warm down to 30 degrees. No winter motorcycle riding here, too cold and dangerous (sub zero temps, high winds, lots of ice & snow).

As for seats, search the forums, lots of thread on seats from other bikes being modified to work on our bikes. Check out VulcanMKE video where he shows a few different seats on the VN750...

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 PM

My Spring / Fall jacket (down to 30 degree's). Should easily cover you for the coldest mornings Southern CA will throw at you. A lot of bang for the buck for $135 new shipped.

Joe Rocket Mens Ballistic Revolution Waterproof Textile Jacket 2014 | eBay

Video reviews of the Joe Rocket Ballistic Revolution jacket...

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Garage
memphis shades have nice ones that fit around headlight and are not too big, pricy but nice
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
+1 on the Memphis Shades....I had the "Hellcat" and I believe contrary to your opinion that the bike looked better with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/knifem...7602271287132/

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 AM

Slipstreamer S-03 installed for reference

I like the "almost a fairing" size and the fact that it's all clear, so it doesn't really stand out on the bike too much visually. Also does a great job of deflecting wind, makes the 3+ hour rides I take to get to my dad's much more comfortable

Slipstreamer S03 on VN750

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. Iceshot, I can add the liner in my jacket and it would keep me warm enough... afterall it is CA This is the jacket I have.

I definitely like the look without the windshield, but thats not to argue with those who like it with the windshield, it's just preference/taste. I have been riding a few more days now without a windshield and i find at speeds over 60mph, it's annoying. Again, if this was a weekend ride it would not be a problem, but I use this everyday now. I commute about 50-60 miles a day (depending which office I report to).

I will check out the windshield suggestions by everyone, thanks!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:08 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I used to have a 2x size set of leather bibs and a 2x leather jacket that I'd add layers under.one day at a gas station a guy hollers out" hey look,it's the black Michelin tire guy.".
I returned with" nope.I'm the burnt Stay-puff marshmallow man"

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird