Jumping into the shallow end - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Had a great ride with some good friends today, probably one of the last as the wet autumn descends on western Washington. Our threesome rode along with about thirty other bikes on a poker run for a few miles which was fun

Got my license plate moved. Cut and welded a new mounting bracket for it since the 'universal' one it came with didn't fit well. Not going to show you the weld, it was my first one. It's an ugly weld, but it's mine I need to weld a rib on the bracket, it was doing a bobble head kind of thing on the ride today

In a couple of weeks the real work begins! Cut down the seat even more, cut off the frame that supports the passenger, shorten the fender (if I can get rid of all the holes and weird geometry from the stuff I'm removing) or get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess the shallow end is becoming the deep end rather quickly! Today marks the first irreversible mod to the bike: the first frame cut for the bobber project! Up until this point all I would have needed to put her back to stock glory was a seat. No going back now!

The seat will get a bit of padding, but not much. The frame will get cut back farther once I get my lights in the mail and know exactly where to cut to mount those. I'm going to try to use the existing mounting point to mount the shortened fender, we'll see if that works out.

I'd like to paint the rear hub assembly while I have the back end all tore apart. Anybody painted theirs before?

The axle is in the middle and obviously the suspension mount at 11 o clock, but I don't know what all the bolts and whatnot are at 2, 3, and 6 o clock. Can I partially or fully remove those for painting? I certainly don't want to paint them closed.

Thoughts and advice welcomed!

Landy

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 AM

Garage
3 and 6 are your gear oil access and drain plug 3 access 6 drain plug. I have painted my hub and motor using vht paint with 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch artist brush. sand with wet sand 15 to 2000 paper between coats. puddle the paint on tin foil and it works fine use small amounts of paint at a time if you go this route.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Vulcan View Post
3 and 6 are your gear oil access and drain plug 3 access 6 drain plug. I have painted my hub and motor using vht paint with 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch artist brush. sand with wet sand 15 to 2000 paper between coats. puddle the paint on tin foil and it works fine use small amounts of paint at a time if you go this route.
Thanks, Brooklyn! Do you mean that you hand painted yours on the bike, so you didn't want to spray it? Or that you hand painted it to avoid painting the bolts and whatnot shut?

Could I just back those bolts out a bit to tape them off and then spray?

Anyone know what the little hex head bolt is at 2 o'clock?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 03:22 PM

The hex head bolt is probably installed in assembly and never needs to be removed again. You can just go ahead and change the gear oil in there and paint 'em shut, you won't have to go back in for years to come.

If you're that worried, though, yeah screw them out slightly and then tighten again after the paint has cured. Wrenches and sockets are gonna marr the paint on those anyhow, and paint isn't gonna stick the small or big ones badly enough to keep them hostage forever.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, after a long winter with the bike tore apart in the garage, got her buttoned up and took her out for a spin tonight. Finally got her street legal again! (Assuming a bare seat pan duct taped to the frame is street legal!)
Ive got a date with a MIG on Saturday to weld on the seat mounts and start welding up the frame in the back. Fun times!

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:32 AM

Garage
Looking good. What lights did you use?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Looking good. What lights did you use?

Thanks!

The lights are Electraglide OEM replacements with the Kuryakyn bezels (I wouldnt recommend, btw. Look cool, but I expect them to break at some point)

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 03:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandyLou View Post
Thanks!

The lights are Electraglide OEM replacements with the Kuryakyn bezels (I wouldnt recommend, btw. Look cool, but I expect them to break at some point)

Well that's a cryin' shame. At least they'll look sexy until they don't!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So an update on the build: got the rear end pretty much finished. Welded the frame shut, cut out the old tail light bracket and welded a plate back in its place. Got the seat pan finished up and the original foam cut down to where I want it. Decided to ride around this summer with black duct tape covering the seat to make sure I like it before exerting the effort/cash to make a proper vinyl cover.

I have a big ride (all the way around Mt Rainier from Bremerton) with some riding buddies this weekend, so Ive been working on making my little bobber project a little more comfortable on a long ride. The back rest is still in prototype mode. Need to adjust it to be a little less straight up and down. The backrest has forced a seat pan rebuild if I want to keep it (Im only $15 and a day of metalworking with a buddy into it). The windscreen was a good amazon find at $40. Keeps the wind off my chest but does increase wind noise a bit.

Added the usb voltmeter combo yesterday. Some of the readings concern me a bit, but not sure if they are low because of where I wired it in. Its connected to the front right turn signal running light lead (I wanted it off when the ignition was off since it has the digital readout for the voltmeter). It reads low 11s when shut off and fully charged (I usually keep it on a tender). It reads 12.9-13.1 when up to speed. I did the blue wire mod and two wire mod this morning which actually decreased the at speed voltage to 12.7-12.9. Thoughts? I dont have a multimeter to check the charge at the battery, but Im hoping that Im getting such low numbers because Ive got the voltmeter hooked up so far downstream.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement