Life at 30k+: Modify to fit or sell to move up? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Life at 30k+: Modify to fit or sell to move up?

Hey guys, It's been a long time since I've been on the boards! They got a face lift and 234234234 new treads since last I was here.

I'm looking for opinions on a course of action. I'm $100 bucks away from paying off my 2004 VN750, she's at 32k and I've already replaced the stator (@#[email protected]#$) and I'm considering doing some work on her to make her fit better. I'm 6 foot 6 and she gets rather cramped when I'm riding for a long time or have the GF on board.

I want to be able to take day trips or even weekend trips, but even an hour and a half gets uncomfortable because I have to sit back on the "hump" of the seat with my knees above the gas tank, destroying any kind of "riders triangle" or other ergo-fluff-stuff and my legs are locked into one position during any given ride. Highway bars don't really work, because I'd need them to go about 4-6 inches forward of the radiator to stretch out my legs proper.

The two options as I see it are thus:

1) install forward controls and get a custom seat set about 1 inch higher and an inch back so my a** doesn't go numb after sitting for 20 minutes and throwing forward controls on her to give me room for floor boards and some flexibility.

2) Sell the bike to avoid 30k maintenance and the upgrades and buy a "bigger" bike. I haven't seen many bikes short of a touring bike or electra glide at 1500cc that is actually physically bigger in the leg room department than the vn750.

So two questions are:
Is there something I missed in my options and secound, what kind of money can I expect to be spending on maintenance over the next 10k?

I know these babies can go 90k if you treat them right and I really like the Vulcan, actually fitting on it just becomes a nuisance so If I can get around that I'd be quite pleased.

-Kettlecorn

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
My first ride- June 2013 @ 22k miles
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"- Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:59 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
For forwads try Wolfie at [email protected].try a sportster two piece seat and a little higher bars. Wolfie can do floorboards on forwards as well.mine has close if not more than 40k on her with 150psi both cylinders

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 01-30-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I don't know of any specific "30k maintenance". There's no valve adjustments, etc, so as long as you keep the electricals in good shape and oil in her, you're fine.

That being said, you're taller than me. I'm around 6'2 and very comfortable, but being taller may be past the line of comfort. I do not like forward controls, stretching out forward when riding, etc, as it feels very counter-intuitive. I like stock peg location as it feels 'relaxed' without sacrificing control. You may just be happier with a bigger bike. I'm a fan of the VN750s, but there are other options out there that are a quality ride. I'm even considering a Yamaha Bolt R-Spec to put my VN in retirement..

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

They can indeed last 90,000+ Mine's past 96,000 right now. I'm 6' 240 and the Vulcan is a perfect fit for me. At 6'6", I'd be looking for a much larger bike, maybe a Nomad, Roadstar 1700, Honda VTX 1300 or 1800, especially if you carry a passenger. I tried to carry my 140 pound daughter on mine, and the rear suspension completely bottomed out. You mentioned 30,000 mile service. Is your bike actually stock? I thought I had the only stock bike here. I do maintenance on mine much more frequently than the book says. The hardest maintenance there is to do is the final drive splines, and I do that every 10,000 miles. I bought my 2002 new, and financed it, but after a year I got tired of paying $900 a year for full coverage insurance and paid it off. I switched to minimum liability insurance at $85 a year.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

My motorcycle is indeed stock! I have lubed the splines recently when I did the stator replacement (might as well while I had her all opened up). some of the wiring harness needs to be replaced and a radiator hose leaks, but those are easy fixes.

One thing I noticed is that I've lost about 6mpg out of her since i got her. I'm thinking this might have to do with how I ride. MPG has gone down the longer I've had her and the more comfortable I've gotten.

I know the manual says to replace the front forks at 30k, but the seals look good?

One consideration I have for moving up to a bigger bike is that this one is my commuter and I'll be going to graduate school in a year and the city i'm hoping to go to has a lot of start-stop traffic. That being said I don't want to heavy of a bike, where control and get-me-the-f***-out-of-this-spot traffic avoidance is going to be important.

I'll check out the sportster split seat, a freind of mine just inherited a sporster so I can see if I like the seat. I agree in that I like the controls where they are, but I might have to just try out forwards to see how they go. If I like 'em I can always move them to the next bike with some modifications.

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Vulcan is perfect for running around town. Not only is it light, handles well, and has plenty of acceleration, but it is comfortable, compared to lean forward low bar bikes. Those can be absolute misery in stop and go traffic. Every time I see a sport bike rider at a light, he has both arms up in the air, probably trying to get some circulation back in them, while I sit there relaxing, bike in gear, clutch pulled in. I have also ridden all over the country with it, solo, most of the miles are highway miles. It easily cruises at a GPS 80 mph all day. But there is a HUGE difference in mpg between 60 mph and 80 mpg. Mine will drain the tank in 100 miles of cruising at 80 mph. At 60 it goes past 130 mpg. I have never done anything to the forks, they still have the original oil in them. I will leave them alone unless the seals start leaking. Same thing with the steering head bearings. I check them for looseness, but have never had them apart. If I ever do need to take them apart, I would replace the bearings anyway. Same thing with the swing arm. Never had it off. It's still tight. If I ever find play in it, I'll replace the bearings when I have it off. All not doing maintenance like that can cause is damaged bearings and seals, over a looong period of time.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 PM
Vintage bike addict

A little higher seat may go a long way to making the ride more comfortable. A little added width doesn't hurt either.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:35 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiq View Post
A little higher seat may go a long way to making the ride more comfortable. A little added width doesn't hurt either.
then I would say get you hands on a Mustang seat. it's a little higher and much more comfy than the stock seat.

I agree with DOC, check out Wolfies forward controls.

also, just so you know Jerry, outside of a Mustang seat, my VN750 is all stock!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
here's a two piece sporty seat on nine

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback!

Does the mustang seat come costum or are they ordered stock? I saw the 3 side by side comparison and it looked like it was the highest (that would really help with the knee to but angle) but the corbin was deeper? I'd rather keep the pegs in a stock position and just move my a** back 3 inches.

Eventually I'll just get the gainfully-employed-and-no-longer-a-student option and just buy two motorcycles I can't afford for the price of 3, instead of just having the one

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement