what im doin this winter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

what im doin this winter

Got this a little while back. It sat at least 8 yrs acording to the guy I got it from.
I did manage to get it to start with a little gas and a fresh battery. Only for a couple of minutes . Tank was full of crap and was feeding it fuel by hand. After sand blasting inside of tank and reinstalling found out it was dumping fuel. I then removed carbs and cleaned them. decided to change oil and found clutch pcs in drain pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	20729  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

this what i found in the drain pan
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	89
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	20737  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Parts needed to put back on road. clutch I just got off ebay basket and flywheel included was 14 bucks plus 15 shipping. Thought that was a pretty fair deal. Still need inner and outer gaskets. petcock just ordered the tw200 I think it was called. All four turn signals thought I might be able to shave and reinstall but no such luck rubber way to far gone.High idle adjustment screw broke as did one of the choke plungers when removing carbs. Geez what a pain that was. Neihbors was tryin to help and yanked to hard on it I guess. And tires are kinda dry rotted. Other than that I think she may be a keeper. If any body has a junk carb laying around I wound be interested in buying that idle adjuster and plunger. I cant find them on ebay
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	20745  

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

heres the choke thing i broke
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	79
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	20761  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

the otherside
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	69
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	20777  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

cant wait to add to it
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	58
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	20785  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

An '85 huh? Unless something has changed, all the carb parts are available new from cheapcycleparts.com. I highly recommend new clutch friction plates, and check the metal plates to make sure they are not warped. The friction plates on my '02 warped at around 70,000 miles, causing the clutch to not disengage completely.

I also recommend checking the final drive splines and cam chain tensioners. These are known weak points on the Vulcan 700/750, and can cause some very expensive damage. If the cam chain tensioners are bad they can destroy the whole engine. Hopefully the stator is ok, but considering how old that bike is, I would also be concerned about the balancer dampers. When they fail, the balancer wobbles, and cuts right through the case.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks VN750 /JERRY I just bought the manual on it and have been reading everything I can on this site. Alot of great info. I bought the used clutch for the hub assembly because the original had a small score in it. However it came with like new looking plates less wear than what came out anyway. Layed them out on a sheet of glass no signs of warpage. They look a little different than what was in there. not sure if thats cuz of a diff. manufacter or maybe ones cork and the other maybe kevlar. I think i may go ahead and put them at least long enough to give it a test run. The spines will get greased when I take replace the rear tire.

Last edited by ken4413; 01-04-2015 at 03:14 AM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

The tensioners and dampers Im still learning about however I do want to do this right. My mech. exp. is limited to cars and semi trucks so i am lost in a whole new world here. But I will figure it out. In no rush springs not here yet Bike has under 10.000 on it so im hoping theres not to much slop. It was full of oil and mainly stored inside a big plus. My biggest concern is not knowing if there is any of the old clutch left in the crankcase. The plan is to ride it 100 miles if it does not blow up. Then I will purchase new friction plates and tires. I found a couple carb kits which I will do now being carbs are already off and a pain in the ass to change. Looks like the kits have everything except diaphrams new jets 0 rings ect. Gave my diaphrams a good coat of glyserin hopefully be ok. Then if makes to the 3000 mile mark I will start making her mine. new seat/bars and purdy stuff. And I think the carb kits come w/ the choke plunger but i cant find that dang high idle screw anywhere on them exploded view part list from any supplier. guess I dont really need it BUT i guess the put there 4 a reason
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

has anyone seen a friction plate come apart like the one pictured above. if so what caused it? I was the outside one the others were all intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement