Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Black and orange VN750 project

9K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  tzrwesku 
#1 · (Edited)
So far so good. Engine, frame, triple tree, rear fender, tank, forks (lower part :)) and some small part painted black. Some other parts, like valve covers painted orange. Also started the "Ear shave" mod. Carb rejetted and pods installed. I used those rubber pipes from airbox to carb. Cutted them half and but them between carb and pod. IMO it looks kinda cool . Last pic is when bike was untouched... More to come, new head light (purchased), turn signals, tail light, handle bar (lower than original and also purchased), front fender from fibreglass, saddle shave and of course lowering set. Exhaust are going to be "self made" one sided with one or two muffler.

#37 ·
Engine been out and left side cover gasket changed, hope this will cure leak. Have not put oil in yet, but i believe the problem is fixed. Old gasket was dry and hard.

#38 ·
Well, well, finally that "&¤%#" oil leak is fixed. Had to pull engine out twice. And problem was tiny piece of old gasket which I did not notice (stupid blind me). Pipes wrapped, new dash now working (finally, installation was PITA) first it was not showing speed, just zero, found out that chinese had connect hall sensor cables wrong to the connector. Also had a problem with RPM, needle was bouncing like crazy. Problem was that the RPM input have to be PLUS cable (and coil is MINUS), now RPM cable is connected to pick up coil wire and working fine, YES!!!!! I ordered a new "mini" arrow head turn lights because those old EN500 blinkers did not fit to bikes image. Tail light installed, and oil warning light installed (where the ignition key use to be) Rear fender installed. Also did a pick up coil mod, bike starts super fine when hitting start button. Tank decals installed. Whats next: Front fender modding, seat, DIY forward controls, a little bit orange color details to fenders and tank (and maybe to the seat)... few pics added

Attachments

#40 ·
Forgot to mention earlier. I ordered a remote controlled (radio frequency) two channel relay set. This relay is going to replace ignition lock/switch. And because this is two channel relay I maybe install second channel work as a "remote start"...:rockon:

Attachments

#41 ·
Few pics,rear, front, dash. New dash been installed inside old housing...
Going to paint or wrap forks to black between triple clamps.
I also shortened main wiring (~12inch) from front end, now all connections behind side panel (but, I´m not going to use those plastic side panels (missing right side), I make new ones from metal wire mesh)

Attachments

#44 ·
Ebay, 45€ (~ 51$) from Hong Kong to Finland, included post and package.

#45 ·
Also curious about the gauge. My 87 VN750 has a cable driven speedo.
Is this gauge you are using all digital? Does your bike support digital speedo
or does this have some sort of adapter for the cable?

Thanks!

#46 ·
All digital, gauge came with hall-sensor and two magnets. This meter indicates, battery, turn lights, fuel, neutral, lights (short or high beam), speed and RPM . Oil pressure warning and water temp is missing. I installed a red LED for oil and I have a small water temp gauge which I`m going to install somewhere near radiator filler cap.

#47 ·
Almost done, forward controls missing and after that...wroooommmm:)

Have struggling with air leak. Been replacing carb boots and also throttle shaft felt gaskets (with o-rings), now it seems that no more popping and backfiring:rockon:

Also have to do some kind of db-killer, bike is roaring too much when revving.

Few pics added with seat on.

Attachments

#48 ·
Main power remote controlled relay set installed and working, going to try do also a remote starter. Just making forward controls and they are coming together nicely. Gear lever side almost done. Brake side needs some planning, but at the moment I am not going to use old brake linkage system (like in Wolfieś controls) instead i´m going to do my own version.

Attachments

#50 ·
Black is two component polyurethane and sprayed with paint gun, then sanded and polished.
Orange is Hammerite metal paint.

#52 ·
No, i did not bake it. Normally two component acrylic or polyurethane paint can withstand engine heat. Polyurethane paint is widely used in work machines, even on engines. Only problem with PU paints is long drying time (without baking capability at home) and orange peel like finish (that's why you have to sand it and polish it), acrylic paint is faster drying and smoother finish, but acrylic is "softer" than PU. I have used both paint types on my project bikes over years ( my Suzuki RF600 is painted with three layer acrylic but now i'm going to paint it with PU)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.