Vacation disaster - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Just a regular guy

Vacation disaster

Ok, I had a week vacation from work and decided to do a little tlc work to the bike, nothing major, wrap my exhaust, degoat, change out my shocks and lube the splines. A good buddy is a mechanic with his own shop and let me bring the bike up there.

I changed the shocks, easy peasy, 5 min... then all the problems started. First 2 of my exhaust studs were rounded off to start with, then the other 2 broke off... I was going to buy an exhaust manifold, but after looking things over decided that taking the manifold off the head was risky because those bolts were likely to break too. So I drilled out the old bolts taped a hole and finally got the exhaust put together... this took 2 plus days because I am not much into fabricating and not much of a mechanic so I had to wait for my buddy to have time to help and advise me.

Took it for a text drive and it ran like crap. Sputtering and half running. Got back to the shop and determined that my front cylinder wasn't firing properly. We had compression and spark... though the spark looked a little weak, but it was even on all plugs. Pulled the k&n airfilters off and one of my slides seemed to be closing about a half second slow. Pulled tge carbs to see what was up, pulled tge diaphrams out, couldn't see anything binding. Replaced tge hose clamps on the boots connecting them to the heads. Made sure they were aligned and tight (they were a loose before). Got everything on, went to adjust my throttle cable and pop! Off came the throttle cable holder... broken! I'm sure they were damaged before there are to many damaged spots. Since then I have tried JB weld a couple if times and thought a bought funding someone to weld them...

Now i am thinking about either buying a set of carbs... not knowing if that will fix my problem... or parting the bike out... I really don't want to be bikeless, but I'm out if vacation, and really frustrated.

Oh, and someone backed into my bike while it was parked at the shop....

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Ouch .....what a vacation !

Quote:
Now i am thinking about either buying a set of carbs... not knowing if that will fix my problem... or parting the bike out... I really don't want to be bikeless, but I'm out if vacation, and really frustrated.
Ask for that bracket here .....if anyone has some Junked carbs .

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Giggity!

Garage

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Sheesh Chris...sorry to hear that man. But if you had to spend a week not being able to ride, this was the right one with the weather we've had.

You said that you degoated. What did you do with the exhaust? Add on some HD mufflers and flex pipe or anything? Just trying to narrow down what might cause all the sputtering and bad running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Part it and buy a newer or witb lower miles.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 AM

I still dont understand why some wrap their pipes on a water cooled engine....looks ?.......ya...works on Harleys with straights....2 differnt engines...
Said it too many times....nobody listens......

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I still dont understand why some wrap their pipes on a water cooled engine....looks ?.......ya...works on Harleys with straights....2 differnt engines...
Thats why I wrapped mine. I pulled my heat shields when I straight piped it and my pipes had some rust on them and they just looked like crap. The wrap made them look much better and gave it more of that stripped out racer look.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

1993 VN 750 bobber/bagger mix named "Halfbreed"
Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Custom wrapped straight pipes
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Just a regular guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Sheesh Chris...sorry to hear that man. But if you had to spend a week not being able to ride, this was the right one with the weather we've had.

You said that you degoated. What did you do with the exhaust? Add on some HD mufflers and flex pipe or anything? Just trying to narrow down what might cause all the sputtering and bad running.
That's the thing, I kinda bastardized the exhaust system, I was gonna do an H pipe, but wasn't positive how to hook them together, so I bought 18" of 1 3/4' flex pipe and was going to just hook them straight to header and muffler, but I have Sportster pipes and they are a bigger diameter. so after cutting notches into the flex pipe to try and make it fit over, I got pissed and just hooked them straight up figuring I would have to lean it out a bit. I am already rejetted because of the ear shave.

I know that isn't correct, but I still have the gb so I can reinstall if needed. After my test ride, it was obvious my front cylinder wasn't firing correctly, and I have had issues with it before but never tackled it because of no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I still dont understand why some wrap their pipes on a water cooled engine....looks ?.......ya...works on Harleys with straights....2 different engines...
I wanted to wrap because my heat shield were shot to ****, I took them off a while back and the mounts broke, and the pipes them selves looked terrible, I like the blacked out look, so my wrap is black. Plus from everything I have read, it leads to better performance as far as heat distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
Part it and buy a newer or with lower miles.
If I part it, I am going for a different bike, I really like the Victory bikes, just can't quite afford one yet.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Yep, water or air cooled, the pipe wrap is supposed to keep heat in the pipes versus radiating off the length of the pipe and help with exhaust scavenging.

Maybe try a dose of seafoam in case a jet is clogging? Did it sit all winter or get run a bit? I noticed a lot of scuffing on my slides, that could lead to sticking and make it move slower. But if you were checking while running ... could the broken bracket be throwing the carb synch off?

The bump sounds like it was a hit and run. ??? If I have to park way out in a lot somewhere I put it on the centerstand for a tiny bit of insurance, not failsafe but at least something.

That bracket can be welded pretty easy and quick, best to do it off the bike. I tacked my tach bracket in the vise with the stick welder. Mig would be best probably, but it doesn't take much.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM

If yer just tryin to hide discoloration...get some quallity flex pipe (SS)...slip it over....acts as a heat shield yet still dissipates....sorry, but IMO wrapping looks like the bike just came from the ER, lol....its a recent fad.....but thats my own opinion....you couldnt PAY me to wrap my pipes....the flexpipe gives it a more custom look and still shines....
I know quite a few custom builders personally...they will do wrap if the customer wants, but are against it....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement