My '93 Bobber, continuing the project... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Saddle

My '93 Bobber, continuing the project...

So...I've acquired what I believe is a good bobber project; it seems to run well with normal, mild 750 cold-start issues that I've been reading about here. I got it as a hard-tail, lowered some in the rear, an aftermarket rear fender of unknown origin, no front fender, 'custom' orange and black paint, and a pos seat. The turn signals don't work and it has some road rash from what looks like a minor laydown, but there are no bends in the frame, the forks are straight and it rides well.

Two days ago I spent a few hours (don't crucify me) taking the dash off; I unplugged the tach, speedometer and dash lights and cut off the turn signals (which I will replace). Fortunately, Kawasaki left about 10 feet of extra wire leading to the turn signals so I could change them a hundred times if I wanted to, haha. I also noticed a very rusty battery box underneath the decrepit seat and did a little investigative surgery, removing the box and all craziness attached to it. The frame had been painted, but the cancer on the battery box had spread to the frame a bit but it is only superficial; I took a piece of 120 grit sandpaper and made good progress in removing it.

Next step, I will finish sanding the frame under the battery box and in the vicinity, giving it several coats of rustoleum and satin clear...may even go with POR15. I'll do the same for the battery box. I have already stripped the seat and will be cutting the pan down to more of a vintage look and then recovering it. It will be mounted the old way, a center slide and two springs in the rear.

Cosmetically, the fender and tank will be repainted, probably copper. A select few other parts of the bike will get the copper also, probably the battery box, headlight, taillight and turn signals. I also thought about trying to sand the black off of the edges of the heat fins to give it that beautiful 'Night Train' look. The handlebars will be replaced with black drag bars, the mirrors with a lower-profile flat black version of the vintage round ones (they might be copper also). I have an awesome brake light from a 30's model Ford with a red glass lens and 'STOP' letters in yellow, and I'll put a visor on the headlight.

Mechanically, I plan to do normal maintenance and upgrades on the bike myself but I'm going to take it to a local mechanic for the initial detailed assessment. I much prefer to have a professional look over it first lest I miss something!

I hope to start cutting on the seat pan tomorrow, so I'll try to post some pics... For now, here's a few pics of the bike and of the current seat pan. If you look closely you can see the knife marks where I have outlined the cut on the front edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	12258   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	12266   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	12274   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-5.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	12282   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	12298  

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Bobber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Welcome to the family.read the vulcan verses.lot's of info there.nice looking scoot there.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Saddle

Shaved seat pan and 'what the heck is this?'

Alright, well I shaved the seat pan down to a point where I'm almost happy with the shape; I may round out the back a bit more but I'm not sure yet. Pics below (the uncut pan is pictured above).

I also took off the rear fender and tank today in preparation for their facelift and noticed a fuel port of some kind that wasn't attached to anything when I pulled the tank off (pic2). For reference sake it lies directly between the carbs straight under the tank. Does this attach to the hose on the underside of the tank in the center? What is its function?

Also, the box in the 3rd pic is a part that I'm not familiar with (but that doesn't surprise me). It is marked 'Igniter' and was attached to the back of the battery box and runs to the fuse box mounted on the side. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed-6.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	12329   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-7.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	12337   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	12345  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Alright, well I shaved the seat pan down to a point where I'm almost happy with the shape; I may round out the back a bit more but I'm not sure yet. Pics below (the uncut pan is pictured above).

I also took off the rear fender and tank today in preparation for their facelift and noticed a fuel port of some kind that wasn't attached to anything when I pulled the tank off (pic2). For reference sake it lies directly between the carbs straight under the tank. Does this attach to the hose on the underside of the tank in the center? What is its function?

Also, the box in the 3rd pic is a part that I'm not familiar with (but that doesn't surprise me). It is marked 'Igniter' and was attached to the back of the battery box and runs to the fuse box mounted on the side. Any ideas?
That is the icm (spark igniter) box. Not sure of those hose, hut others will definitely be able to answer.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

that nipple is the carb vent it should have a hose attached to it that goes somewhere out of the wind originally it would be tucked into the right side air filter box (ear) but it looks as though you have a pod filter set up so in that case a good place for it is on the little nipple in the bottom center of the tank where the fuel float assembly goes

and as stated earlier the black box marked igniter is the cdi box it sends the signal to the ignition coils so dont break it cause even used ones are selling for 100 bucks on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/

Last edited by new rider 9984; 12-24-2013 at 11:21 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Back in the Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
that nipple is the carb vent it should have a hose attached to it that goes somewhere out of the wind originally it would be tucked into the right side air filter box (ear) but it looks as though you have a pod filter set up so in that case a good place for it is on the little nipple in the bottom center of the tank where the fuel float assembly goes

and as stated earlier the black box marked igniter is the cdi box it sends the signal to the ignition coils so dont break it cause even used ones are selling for 100 bucks on ebay
I kinda thought that was a vent; and there is a hose attached to the float assembly that was itself 'floating' and not attached to anything. So I'll just put the two together once the tank is ready to be put back on.

As far as the ICM...I should've known that, seems obvious now that I've been told. Oh well. Thank you both.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Back in the Saddle

Updates with PAINT!

Hey there 750's, I'm back with with a contact high and a backache...just kidding, sort of. I've spent the last couple of weeks on and off working on removing the paint from the tank and fender of the bike (I did use a mask). It was a nightmare! There was orange on top, then black, then red, then a lavender sparkle- all divided by layers of primer. When I said backache, I was serious. Even with airplane stripper it took many applications and lots of elbow grease.

But, the end result is a nice starting platform, complete with a little body filler that I didn't know was there. You'll see in the pictures that there is still a little bit of color on the tank and they have not been washed yet. I didn't need to get absolutely every morsel off since I'm applying a textured topcoat, but I did make sure it was smooth with no clumps and it was all clean. I cleaned it with steel wool, dry sanded and wet sanded to get it ready. There were a few very small wrinkles in the fender, but with 'filling primer' and my textured topcoat I'm not worried too much about it. After all, it is just a bobber.

So, I have finished the primer on the fender and underside of the tank. This afternoon I'm going to sand/grind a little on the frame of the bike in some rough and/or rusty places to get ready to hit it with the black again.

BTW, I've read dozens of posts here about our dysfunctional gas caps. Has anyone found a good aftermarket replacement??? It seems that even most universals won't fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed-9.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	12754   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	12762  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

short of cutting out the gas cap bung (yup thats what its called) and welding in another style i have heard of no other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement