2001 Kawasaki 750n - Titling issuees - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
1987 Vulan VN750-A

2001 Kawasaki 750n - Titling issuees

Hi Guys,

I bought my 750n this past August. When I bought it, I was told by the owner that they had to dig up the title. That they would look for it, then provide it for me that evening. My mistake was to trust them, and I didn't insist on it on the spot BEFORE I handed them the money. Then I was told they had to call the bank to remove the lien (supposedly already paid for). Then a few days ago, the seller asked for my help in figuring out what needed to be done (I used to work for a bank). I went into the DMV, the lady there called their bank, found out that bank didn't even have the info on it anymore, and it had be transferred to another bank. I was told by the DMV lady that the seller just needed to call the 2nd bank, and request a release of lien, and have it sent to the DMV. Again, assuming they did pay it off. I haven't heard from the seller in a week, and honestly I'm not holding my breath that these guys are going to do anything about it.

Now for my questions:

Would it be legal to buy a titled frame, then move everything onto the new frame?

What's the best, safest way to accomplish this?

I have a 2001 750n, are there specific years for a frame I need to look for?

I know about the stator, and r/r, and I'm definitely planning on moving those. Are there any other modifications I should be planning on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Garage
I know in PA he could apply/file for a "lost title" and pay the application fee. A lot easier than switching over everything on a donor frame.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
1987 Vulan VN750-A

Here in Idaho, you can only apply for a lost title if you are on the title to begine with, so that's a no-go for me.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro35647 View Post
Here in Idaho, you can only apply for a lost title if you are on the title to begine with, so that's a no-go for me.
What I'm saying is have the original owner apply for the lost title, then he could sign it over when he gets it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM

Titled Frame

If you are interested, I have a titled frame. It is from a 93 and I can let you have it for shipping and $20. I really just want to get it out of my garage. The $20 is to pay for the packaging. If yu figure this will work for you geet back to me.

Mcneuby

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
1987 Vulan VN750-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
What I'm saying is have the original owner apply for the lost title, then he could sign it over when he gets it.
I don't think that would work, here's the skinny. When he paid it off, he never got the title, and never followed up on it. So, when he sold it to me, he went through the bevy of banks which his title had passed through. When we finally caught up with the right bank, they said he still owes them money on the motorcycle. We may end up doing that just to see if it works, but I'm doubting it will.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
1987 Vulan VN750-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcneuby View Post
If you are interested, I have a titled frame. It is from a 93 and I can let you have it for shipping and $20. I really just want to get it out of my garage. The $20 is to pay for the packaging. If yu figure this will work for you geet back to me.

Mcneuby
That may work. Will the my 01' components fit onto a 93' frame? I don't mind doing some light fabrication, but if I have to create motor mounts, and such it will be too much over my head. I check on shipping and see what it would cost.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
That may work. Will the my 01' components fit onto a 93' frame? I don't mind doing some light fabrication, but if I have to create motor mounts, and such it will be too much over my head. I check on shipping and see what it would cost.
1985 VN700 and 1986-2006 VN750's had the same frame. infact 99% of the pars interchange between all years... small differences in fuel petcocks, brake master cylinders and a few other parts, but for the most part every thing else swaps over...

but as for you swapping over everything from the 01 to even a '85 vn700, it would be pretty strait forward. unbolt every thing from the 01 and swap it all onto the donor frame.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM

ok im from uk so have no idea how yr legal things work however that being said i dont understand why its an issue tell the bloke to give money back till he sorts it out so you can then do a normal sale, if he refuses has he not illegally sold it to you?
that being said if he refuses take said hammer break jaw for lying to you and hands for taking your hard earned cash.... simple!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
I don't think that would work, here's the skinny. When he paid it off, he never got the title, and never followed up on it. So, when he sold it to me, he went through the bevy of banks which his title had passed through. When we finally caught up with the right bank, they said he still owes them money on the motorcycle. We may end up doing that just to see if it works, but I'm doubting it will.
If the "right bank" says he still owes money on the motorcycle then they must have the title. Applying for a lost title should only come up with the same information from DMV and a refusal to issue a new title without the proper clearance from that bank that the loan is clear. If a computer glitch happens where the "right bank" does not get involved by the DMV you will still have a potential problem in the future if you want to sell the bike or have an insurance issue. At some point the bank or DMV will catch up with the whole mess and you will be left on the short end. The good guy never wins in this kind of situation unless it is done the long hard way. If the previous owner has proof of paying off the loan to the "right bank" there should be no problem except the time to sit at a desk in the bank by the previous owner. They (bank) probably will not work it all out with just you being there so you are now stuck with dealing with that seller again. Right now the owner of record seems to be the previous owner with a bank lien and you can not do anything about that until they straighten out the said lien. Without the title you are doing work on a bike you do not own. You can get it all road worthy and running properly and have it taken away with no real recourse. You would then be out the time, effort and cost with nothing to show. All that can happen or you may be lucky and have the seller straighten out all the legal paper work and hand you the clear title. I would be careful as to what you invest into this whole thing. Hopefully you have at least a signed receipt saying you paid the guy for the bike. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 11-21-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement