92 750 ...never ending project! :) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

92 750 ...never ending project! :)

Hello, I'm new to the forum and posted a lot of this information in the newbie forum but I think this is the correct place to put it so here goes... I got a non-running (for 3 years) bike that was bobbed/chopped/ratted by another guy who had a different vision for the bike when he modified it from stock. Really nice guy and I can't wait to finish/ bring it to life so I can show him what I was able to do. Here is a short list of things I've ordered, replaced, need to fix, and problems...

1. new ignition/gas cap set
2. main wiring harness (the whole electrical system, battery box, etc.. was loosely stuffed inside the frame so I don't even know if all the main parts work)
3. neutral switch
4. rear brake switch/front brake switch and wires
5. aftermarket gauge cluster (danmoto SP8)
6. 11 1/2" progressive rear shocks (it was a faux hard tail with bolted brackets)
7. new battery (the old one had blown up)
8. rear fender w/ lights (old one was cut way to far back for my taste)
9. Modified a solo seat from a victory vegas to fit it
10. fork seals
11. stripped, repaired dents, and am repainting the tank and rear fender
12. New mirror, modified to fit under the handlebars
13. polished most of the rust off the chrome
14. rebuilt and balanced carbs
15. new kickstand (bike was lowered so previous owner had cut it short)
16. fabricate new side covers (tabs to hold on stock ones have been cut off)
17. clean the inside of the tank (looks like someone used Kreem and didn't know how)
18. repaint frame
19. weld crack in oil pan
20. fluid flush, air filters, oil filter, and install inline fuel filters
21. repaint rims??? (if they clean up well I might keep the red/black theme)
22. rebuild fuel petcock assembly

So I have done a lot of work already and feel I haven't really gotten to far...but I'm having fun and learning a lot about this bike...my first Kawasaki. I will keep this updated and add pictures as I remember to take them

Last edited by sailormonkey333; 06-04-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: correction...tried adding pictures :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

pics!

Here are a couple pics... I am using leather that I will lash to the frame as side covers, have installed shocks, new wiring harness (mostly connected, still waiting on a couple sensors, ignition switch, and new dash), seat is mocked up, mirror mounted, carbs rebuilt and installed, tank dents repaired, and though you can't see it I modified the battery box for an oversized battery and extended the hot lead and ground accordingly. The leather bag on the front is going to house/hide all the gauge wires and leads on the harness that aren't going to be used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130604_202451_831.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	7569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130604_202504_002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	7577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130604_202534_014.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	7585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130604_202601_401.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	7593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130604_202946_623.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7601  

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM

Looking very interesting !....and actually, this section (builds) is the right place for the detail.....

...also check out ChopCult on the web....could give ya some good ideas...its a great forum....

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I think it'll be great when it's done...it'll be a little small for me but should fit my cousin who is visiting for DELMARVA bike week and thinks he will be driving my jeep because he doesn't have time to ride his bike down...instead he will have the vulcan to ride if all goes well! I'm chomping at the bit waiting on parts and have had to content myself with learning how to do bodywork and painting LOL I'm putting the first coat of metal flake black on the tank tomorrow and hopefully will get the rest of the parts in sooner than later so I can even see if she will run!
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

So this morning I go out to put the first coat of paint on my newly repaired and finally straight/smooth tank....I wet sand the primer with 1000grit, wash it, dry it, turn to get my stuff ready to spray it and it takes a 4 foot fall from the stand I had it on...massive wind gust hit it just right. So now its stripped back down and I'm re-repairing it only good thing is the rear fender should be here today along with ignition and new tank grommets/mounting hardware.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

I have some various parts if you need something give me a call and I will see if I have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks man, I will keep that in mind! I got my first coat of metal flake black on it ...I can still see some minor flaws but its 100% better than it was....all thats left is clear coat and reassembly and the tank will be done. Also installed inline fuel filters today incase theres any residual garbage in the tank. I think I need a tank bib to make it look even better ...any suggestions anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130605_134733_613.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	7641  
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Prowling Tiger

Nice! I wish I had the space and skills to paint my own bike. Since I don't have either, I'll have to pay someone to do it.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

LOL...this is my first time doing body work and painting, just finished the third layer of clear coat and after I put a tank bra on it I think it will be good to go...at least moderately good looking and will withstand occasional paint spillage
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=sailormonkey333;340537]thanks man, I will keep that in mind! I got my first coat of metal flake black on it ...I can still see some minor flaws but its 100% better than it was....all thats left is clear coat and reassembly and the tank will be done. Also installed inline fuel filters today incase theres any residual garbage in the tank. I think I need a tank bib to make it look even better ...any suggestions anyone?[/QUOTE]

Knifemaker has a design on Flickr HERE

and Romeobravo172 makes them just for us here on the forum HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement