So I was on my way home from work yesterday morning and suddenly lost most power. Seemed like I was running on one cylinder. I suspect a bit of grit from my rusty tank got into one of the carbs. Backblowing didn't fix the issue, So i figured it was time to pull them out for a good cleaning. I'll also be addressing the rust in the tank. I guess I put that off for too long now as is.
Being the PITA that it is to get the carbs in and out with the stock intake, I figured this was a good time to go ahead and do the ear shave as well.
Halfway through remove the air system I figured what the hell, might as well go all out and do the TOC side cover mod as well. I have my spare modified cover sitting ready, might as well.
Of course, pulling the exhaust, I broke a stud on the left side manifold.
Oh well, I had to order a new gasket for the front bevel gear anyways.
engine out and I got to see a lot of frame rust that I need to address. Looks like I'm going to be having some fun all week.
OH... and there's a smallish hole in the front of the engine case above the oild filter where the case splits that some previous owner tried to cover up with what appears to be liquid nails. I'll be pealing that out and replacing with JB Weld.
So lets see, what did I get myself into?
Carb pull and clean.
Engine clean/degrease and repaint. Hole repair.
TOC side cover mod
replace exhaust manifold studs
Frame rust removal and repaint
I've got until June 19th to be 100% complete as I've planned on riding down to Gatlinburg, TN June 20th...
I think to get the engine back into the frame, I'm going to drop the swing arm and remove the forks, prop the engine on a 2x12 setup on some concrete blocks, and lift the fame onto and around the engine rather then try to lift the engine into the frame.
More pictures to be added as I progress...
ow if only I had the time and money to get the frame powder coated NOW so that I don't have to pull the engine again when I decided to go that route.
On the plus side, it only took me 3 hours to get the engine out and onto the bench. Bet I can do it faster next time...