A great polishing tool set... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

A great polishing tool set...

....had to share this with you guys....I was at Harbor Freight a few days back picking up some pneumatic stuff, and was looking for a brass wire wheel for my 4 1/2 angle grinder...well, couldnt find the brass in my size, but found these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-65287.html

I took a gamble and gave em a shot.....HOLY SHEIT !!!!....Im gonna pick up 2 more sets....all I did was take the safe shield off my grinder, and the step 3 wheel made an old piece of rusty flex pipe look like polished chrome !!!!

Includes 40, 80, 220, 400, and 600 grit discs

I will rarely use a wire wheel ever again !!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM

I've never used a grinder for buffing. Hey Wolfie, Any good ideas for taking scratches out of my polyarbonate windshield? I know there's products out there but I was hoping there was something home made I could use. I love Harbor Freight. I bought a powder coating rig from there. Worked great. I wanted to pick up a small welding machine.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 05-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I found out that the plastic Polishing kit for like headlights and such is only a piece of 1500 grit and 3000 grit sand papers, tooth paste and an antifogging goggle lens cleaner.. I paid 15 bucks for about 5 bucks worth of product.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

BTW...welcome back officially brother....**hug**....

...and ya, like Slim said....varying grits of wet/dry sandpaper...you can only get it at places that supply auto body stuff...depending on the scratch, I start at 800, and work up....Ive used "Kit" brand "Scratch Out" or Megulars Plast-X for really fine stuff....if REALLY fine, like just a haze, good old Brasso can work wonders....I finish em up with my buddy Jack's car polisher....ya I know, I gotta get my own...

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Thanks wolfie.. great to be back
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Glad to HAVE ya back.... now I can stay outta these electric threads which I know very little about !!!! Lol... You have been missed ! Nice to be wanted/needed, eh ?...prepare to get inundated with PMs...make sure yours were upped to mod PM count ( a lot more)...

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've never used a grinder for buffing.
Forgot to address that comment bro, sorry....but these wheels arent "hard"...its like a grit embedded in a foam....I even took it to my chrome front pipe, where my heel melted on, lol...took it right off to a nice shine w/o damaging the chrome.....these arent meant for painted surfaces btw....just metals like chrome, steel, alum, brass, zinc, nickel, copper, etc....dont use em on plastics....theyd melt...

I'll try to post a before/after pic of what these things can do....tomorrow...

My inspiration for these BTW, was Mike Angell, who polished the valve covers on the engine I got from him, so they looked like chrome....I was so impressed, that I began searching and thinking....that can be dangerous for me, lol....

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-18-2013 at 01:12 AM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
working at the truck shop, we always started the process with a polishing wheel attached to a grinder. then finished the job off with our hands.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:15 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Forgot to address that comment bro, sorry....but these wheels arent "hard"...its like a grit embedded in a foam....I even took it to my chrome front pipe, where my heel melted on, lol...took it right off to a nice shine w/o damaging the chrome.....these arent meant for painted surfaces btw....just metals like chrome, steel, alum, brass, zinc, nickel, copper, etc....dont use em on plastics....theyd melt...

I'll try to post a before/after pic of what these things can do....tomorrow...
I believe you said you used these with your 4 1/2 inch grinder and the guard removed? No problem with RPM's? Interesting find and many possibilities popping into my head now. Thanks for passing this along.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

With the guard on, I could only utilize a small area of the disk, and it was a bit acute...with the guard removed, I used it almost like a disk sander using the full area....RPMs at first concerned me, but once the nasty mfg edges wore off, it seemed to balance itself and was fine....safety glasses recommended though....but these things are phenomenal Tom...and its a 5 step/progression system...the final being like mirror I guess....I havent gotten to that disk yet, saving it, lol....

I gotta post pics tomorrow....for the price, these are incredible....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement