vn750 lost to time and abuse - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

vn750 lost to time and abuse

picked up beat up vulcan 750. Has a lot of problems, does not run, does not shift etc... First clean up the carbs and put a new fitting for the fuel(old press in was broken). Next thing trying to figure out if shifter broken or something else. The shifter shaft slides in and out freely about an inch. It will also appear to not be able to go in any gears. Neutral lights is off, while bike is either in neutral or with busted clutch. This is my first actual motorcycle, I usually tend to play with old cars instead. If it becomes too much of a headache, might try to part it out.
few pictures:

my other motor related home made contraption that still works up to 40mph or so:

92 Stealth
89 Trans Am
67 Camaro
91 suburban v2500

Last edited by yevgenievich; 04-13-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM

They aint that had to fix, and all the info ya need is RIGHT HERE !!!
Welcome !

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Welcome!

Just wanted to add two cents... Kawasaki has PNF, positive neutral finder, it won't go into any gear except 1st and neutral if it isn't moving and the trans turning a certain speed. I realize your shifter may have other problems, but this might be handy to know once you do get it to shift. Not knowing this helped me get a better price when I bought mine. We both thought there might be something wrong with the shifter and dropped the price, turned out to be nothing wrong with it.

I spotted one of the 2-stroke bicycle kits in an auction the other day, starting at $5. (up to $38.99 now) Thinkin' I should convert my Mongoose for when gas hits $5.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM

I had a 3 wheel bicycle before Jack got his welder...was gonna convert that to electic using a Chevy starter motor and a lawnmower gearbox...never shouldda given that away !!!

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
picked up beat up vulcan 750. Has a lot of problems, does not run, does not shift etc... First clean up the carbs and put a new fitting for the fuel(old press in was broken). Next thing trying to figure out if shifter broken or something else. The shifter shaft slides in and out freely about an inch. It will also appear to not be able to go in any gears. Neutral lights is off, while bike is either in neutral or with busted clutch. This is my first actual motorcycle, I usually tend to play with old cars instead. If it becomes too much of a headache, might try to part it out.
The shifter shaft is sliding because a C-clip got knocked off of it on the inside of the case.
You can shim it out with several flat washers on the shaft between the outer case and the shift lever.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
The shifter shaft is sliding because a C-clip got knocked off of it on the inside of the case.
You can shim it out with several flat washers on the shaft between the outer case and the shift lever.
I cut a 1" length of hose, split it lengthwise, then slipped it over the shaft. Worked fine for couple years. Now with cases split, I can see that fix was important...to keep the internal linkage properly aligned. New "C" clip will be installed.

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

i played with the vulcan a little more today.When rolling it around i noticed clanking noise. I took a short video, don't think this would be normal.

s30.photobucket.com/user/yevgenievich/media/vn750/VIDEO0059.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

I did put the carbs back in, and maybe try to see if at least the engine will run next week

92 Stealth
89 Trans Am
67 Camaro
91 suburban v2500
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM

A slight clanking is normal...LOUD clanking is bad and may mean that the shaft splines or drive gear is bad...yer gonna need to remove the rear wheel soon to check...

I just listened to it...thats not good at all...sounds like there are teeth not meshing properly....

Last edited by Wolfie; 04-13-2013 at 05:42 PM.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Prowling Tiger

What happened to the OP posts?
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Its the crappy autospam censor here...I keep approving, the sensor keeps blocking...this is a PITA....Id rather do this stuff manually and spend 2 hrs/day than take the chance of losing members....starting to annoy the crap outta me...and that aint a good thing !
Should be fine AGAIN now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement