Tire Painting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Tire Painting

Its winter (almost, but close enough)...bike is down and I cant ride...taking the time to do new fork seals, etc....well, long story short, since the front wheel was elevated and off, I decided to whitewall my tires. Ive been wanting whitewalls since forever....

Tested some Krylon Fusion matte white on an old truck tire in the garage. Looked awsome, so I said, why not. First I took the Krylon VHT matte black wheel paint and did the rims. NICE !....started masking off tire from rim (trued a template first, forget it)...sprayed...and...the stuff just beaded (sort of) but left spots....tried a second coat, no avail.

See, for a year now, since my tires were older, Ive been using TireShine (kinda like Armor All)...it had soaked into the rubber and caused a glaze (prollt supposed to do that)...but paint wouldnt stick....so, I took some acetone, cleaned, roughed up a bit with sandpaper, more acetone, then tried agai. Was "ok", but I wasnt happy. Got a can of flat white primer...cool...then 2 coats of the Fusion after that....masking is a PITA, so if ya want whitewalls and can afford, buy em...but on a budget, Im satisfied....

Rough estimate for materials to do both, will be around $20...still, a lot less than new w/w, and my originals wer still good.

So, in synopsis...yes, you can, for much less...its time/labor intensive, and yields a decent result IMO....

If ya have the bucks....buy....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Garage
I gotta be honest bro...wasn't feeling the whole whitewall vibe when we talked about it, but I have to admit.....that looks a LOT better than I imagined it!

Can't wait to see how it looks on the bike.

Are you going to re-paint the blue accents you had on the rims?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I kinda dont think so....I was gonna go more badboy (haa haa Tom) and do the spokes and a wheel pinstripe in red....hey ???....that way id have red, white, black and blue....still deciding...lotsa time left....who knows, by spring I may have a springer front with a wider spoke wheel and tire too....nevah know....but fer now, yeah....Im leanin towards red spokes. Mebbe outline the wolf in red too...and the fins....fins red...

Thats the great thing about a paint program...I can take a pic of my bike and try different color combos...I may do the pipes and bars flat black too....you know how much I love chrome....

Last edited by Wolfie; 12-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM

I think whitewalls can be pure sex on the right bike. Not something that I'm thinking would fit in with my vision of my bike though. I can see how trying to mask that off would be a pain in rear. I saw where using electrical tape can work better for masking curved lines because of it being stretchable. Maybe something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
....you know how much I love chrome....
.....and yet you tolerate me on my bike riding with you...lol

no worries...not gonna be wearing any capri pants any time soon
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Just a regular guy

I gotta say... I am not a whitewall fan myself... but to each their own. At least you are finding a way to get "your" look.

I am kinda curious though... would all that paint cause need for a rebalance??

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am kinda curious though... would all that paint cause need for a rebalance??
Well, its all equally distributed, an honestly, I rarely ride at speed where balancing would be an issue...

Quote:
.....and yet you tolerate me on my bike riding with you...lol
You'll also note too, my brother, that you rarely ride towards the front of the pack, lol.... .... *digdig, nudge* I DO however want you to take the lead on one of our rides....Im tired of checking mirrors every mile, lol....Id like to just lay back in the cradle next season....or even hit the tail....Merc usually gets that, but his choice...next year we mix some....

Quote:
I saw where using electrical tape can work better for masking curved lines because of it being stretchable.
Already tried it....just doesnt seem to stick....

And again, I stress...I fully believe my adhesion issues were all due to me using that TireShine....I think a stock tire, untouched would accept the paint(and tape) readily, as my test on a truck tire did.

I got a mail back from Krylon, btw....useless....but the yuppie FAQ reader simply stated, that the paint wasnt designed for rubber....I called him a liar and azzhole, because I saw that it worked.....watch....in 6 mos. Krylon will have a Whitewall Paint....I'll sue.....

Kill all yuppies......save the world.....Ride hard, die free.....

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
i like it.might try a springer on my new project.have an old columbia springer might try to fit on my new 86.gotta get the rest of the bike so i can get you pic whores some pics.lol

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Wolfie,

I was wondering "is it ok to use tire shine"? I was told to never use anything like armor all on the tires because it can be dangerous especially on the curves.

Is this true??? I like for the tires to shine as well but have been afraid since I was told this. If it's ok, then I am getting some today since I washed my bike yesterday and its parked in the garage.

Please forgive me if I sound dumb asking this...

Thanks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

You can use either TireShine or ArmorAll on tires, long as you dont plan on painting em....just need to make sure you dont get any on the tread....what I always did, was to spray down a rag first, then just wipe the sidewalls...dont do your seat, grips, or footpeg rubbers either....else you will be sliding off the bike, and the bars and pegs will fall outta yer hands....
Use this stuff only on sidewalls...it will actually help to prevent dryrot....

And its not a dumb question at all, bro....those who told you NOT to use it, should have told you why too. Sidewalls dont touch the ground (if they do, yer in trouble anyway)...but dont spray right onto the tire....apply it carefully with a rag or paper towel. Dont get any onto the tread...

Last edited by Wolfie; 12-21-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement