for the creative mind - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

Question for the creative mind

i am just wondering but has anyone experimented with the cross breeding of the 750 motors past the obvious 750 cyl. and heads on the 700 case which we all know will work?

I am pondering about the possibility of 1500 bubf heads and cylinders on a 750 case with the 750 rods but 1500 pistons.

I have no clue if this would work but if it did i am sure it would bump up the pony power a good bit.

any opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Prowling Tiger

Well, obviously, the primary concern would be engine integrity. Using newer parts on older parts seems like a no no to me. Another thing to consider is how would the internals of the engine and tranny hold up to the extra torque and HP? I mean, we are talking about doubling the displacement of the 750. I think this would be more work than what the final result would achieve.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Well, obviously, the primary concern would be engine integrity. Using newer parts on older parts seems like a no no to me. Another thing to consider is how would the internals of the engine and tranny hold up to the extra torque and HP? I mean, we are talking about doubling the displacement of the 750. I think this would be more work than what the final result would achieve.
Clear & Accurate Points !

I think this would be more work than what the final result would achieve.

IMO...
Depends on your final goal.....

WilliamTech

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
Clear & Accurate Points !

I think this would be more work than what the final result would achieve.

IMO...
Depends on your final goal.....

WilliamTech
Don't get me wrong, I'd like more power from the 750 as well. However, if one were to upgrade the heads and pistons, there would a lot of internal work that would need to be done. Hoaning the cylinder walls to allow for the larger piston head, may need different valve system, may need to update internals through out engine to handle extra power, and anything else I may have missed.

There is always a risk when upgrading internals. But you can't just focus on one area and hope the rest holds up. A guy/gal who spend what time and money they have to build the 750 with 1500 heads and piston just to watch the crank case explode seems futile to me. I know on crate motors, it is a common practice to use smaller heads on a larger engine to increase compression. I had a 355 setup like that. Had 305 heads on a 350 block. Gave me a 10.x (can't member now) compression ratio.

I think the better option would be to find a bigger engine which could be adapted to the bike. The VN1500 is a drive shaft bike, so maybe the parts are adaptable. Would also need to modify the frame and engine mounts for the larger motor.

Def be cool if someone figured out a way to swap to a larger motor. Be like a fox body mustang from the 1990's have a 351 Cleveland or larger motor stuffed under the hood. Or better yet, a classic VW bug with a small block V8 stuffed in it.

Last edited by blazblu82; 12-04-2012 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
VN1500 cylnders and heads won't fit on a 750's case. They are too big (surprised?)

Trying to stuff a 1500 motor into the 750's frame would be a challenge too.

The cost to do all this would far exceed just going out and buying a nice running 1500 and riding that instead

As the 750 is a water cooled motor, you really don't have alot of room to even bore the 750's jugs out much more....but you could add a few more cc's ... This would be the most likely avenue to pursue...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
VN1500 cylnders and heads won't fit on a 750's case. They are too big (surprised?)

Trying to stuff a 1500 motor into the 750's frame would be a challenge too.

The cost to do all this would far exceed just going out and buying a nice running 1500 and riding that instead

As the 750 is a water cooled motor, you really don't have alot of room to even bore the 750's jugs out much more....but you could add a few more cc's ... This would be the most likely avenue to pursue...
Probably would want to try to find heads closer in size to the 750. Maybe the 800 or 900 would be better? Personally, I'd just leave the 750 alone. It's a good engine for its size and if you really want a larger engine, go get a bigger bike.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

ahh fooey i was hoping it would work

blaze the hp from a 1500 bubf was only 72 hp so its not much of a differance and if it would fit there3 would be no hoaning needed since the cylinders would be from the 1500 as well

to put the 1500 motor on the 750 frame the frame would have to be cut and stretched im sure

top speed on the 750 is higher than the 1500 and the 750 is a hair quicker in the quarter mile from my recollection

i was pondering the mash up of the two motors with the 1500 up high and 750 down low because it would allow a bit more power on a slightly lighter frame but mainly it would put a fifth gear on the 1500 jugs

now many said that a 6th gear on the 750 was not going to help much and that the bike may not be able to handle it, however, i think all will agree that a 1500 bubf would no doubt handle a fifth gear

Quote:

photobucket link
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
ahh fooey i was hoping it would work

blaze the hp from a 1500 bubf was only 72 hp so its not much of a differance and if it would fit there3 would be no hoaning needed since the cylinders would be from the 1500 as well

to put the 1500 motor on the 750 frame the frame would have to be cut and stretched im sure

top speed on the 750 is higher than the 1500 and the 750 is a hair quicker in the quarter mile from my recollection

i was pondering the mash up of the two motors with the 1500 up high and 750 down low because it would allow a bit more power on a slightly lighter frame but mainly it would put a fifth gear on the 1500 jugs

now many said that a 6th gear on the 750 was not going to help much and that the bike may not be able to handle it, however, i think all will agree that a 1500 bubf would no doubt handle a fifth gear
What I meant by hoaning the cylinder was where the 750 lower mated to the 1500 heads. The piston needs the room to travel all the way down.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Probably would want to try to find heads closer in size to the 750. Maybe the 800 or 900 would be better? Personally, I'd just leave the 750 alone. It's a good engine for its size and if you really want a larger engine, go get a bigger bike.
i am disappointed in you blaz i was expecting km to say something to that effect but not you

the title of this thread is "for the creative mind" and comments such as yours are not creative

it really seems to me that the members of this forum applaud any mod to this bike as long as you dont touch the motor or trans.

a person can chop the frame for a hard tail, swap forks, build new wiring harnesses, mod seats for more room, change up intakes and exhaust, etc. etc. all to great applause but just mentioning actual motor or trans mods and its always the same answer get a different bike

Quote:

photobucket link
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

I bet you could stuff a 1500 in that frame if you really wanted too....
"worth" is relative... financially no, but it would be "worth" the cool factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement