Modding a harley or CN 800/900 seat - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)
 
Modding a harley or CN 800/900 seat

I am trying to find a "how to" thread on how to mod a Harley or a VN 800/900 seat to fit the VN 750. My search bar will not work for some reason. Can anyone direct me to one or 30? Lol. Thanks.

It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Gryfox23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,601
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
I know several have done this, but don't recall an actual step by step "how to".....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Deviate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 1,253
iTrader: (5)
 
Here is a link to Chuck A.'s album on how he did his 900 seat mod. It might give you a good idea of what's involved.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=422
Deviate is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)
 
Dang. I wish there was a writeup to help me out. I'm actually lookin for a solo seat.

It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Gryfox23 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Giggity!
 
kanuck69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio, Zanesville
Posts: 4,307
iTrader: (24)
     
Garage
I sent you a link to what I did. If you excluded the "pillion" This would work well as a solo as I utilized the Harley seats side mounts.

Link Again.
kanuck69 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
Or you could go with the En454ltd seat posted in your Newbie post.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,601
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfox23 View Post
Dang. I wish there was a writeup to help me out. I'm actually lookin for a solo seat.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you need that much help modifying and fabricating a solo seat, perhaps you aren't the right person to be doing the work. Altering and retro fitting a non standard part takes a certain amount of ingenuity and resourcefulness. If you are lacking this perhaps you're better off finding someone with these skills to do it for you.

There's usually a bike shop in every big town that has someone that can do what you want. Many times for less than you might think.

I made a solo seat for my Project bike (see "Babe" album in my link below) but don't have step by step instructions on how I did it. I made custom
brackets to fit it...but have no lay out of the design...just did it as I went along....much like most folks doing something simular would do. No blueprints here to follow if you get my drift...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I sent you a link to what I did. If you excluded the "pillion" This would work well as a solo as I utilized the Harley seats side mounts.

Link Again.
I sent a return PM. Thanks again. That welded bracket is exactly what I had in mind before seein the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you need that much help modifying and fabricating a solo seat, perhaps you aren't the right person to be doing the work. Altering and retro fitting a non standard part takes a certain amount of ingenuity and resourcefulness. If you are lacking this perhaps you're better off finding someone with these skills to do it for you.

There's usually a bike shop in every big town that has someone that can do what you want. Many times for less than you might think.

I made a solo seat for my Project bike (see "Babe" album in my link below) but don't have step by step instructions on how I did it. I made custom
brackets to fit it...but have no lay out of the design...just did it as I went along....much like most folks doing something simular would do. No blueprints here to follow if you get my drift...

KM
No sir, I won't be offended. I have purdy tuff skin. While I ain't real mechanically inclined, I do have some brains. I had already started tryin to figure out how I'd mount it cause I knew that they mounted way different. I had the same idea as Kanuck before I ever saw his pics. I just didn't know if there was an easier way to do it. Now that I see that, I know that I was right. I basically just wanted to see how someone else had done it before I gave it the ol "what fer!" but thanks for your input.

It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Gryfox23 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,601
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Cool. I had seen your other post where you said:

"Thank you for the info and the welcomes. Maybe some of you guys that are close to me can give me a hand wrenching on this bike cause I certainly ain't very mechanically inclined."

Modding a stock seat is easier than retro fitting one from another bike. Each seat there is diffrent and likely would require a diffrent approach.

So I'm unclear what you are doing here as you were not specfic....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Cool. I had seen your other post where you said:

"Thank you for the info and the welcomes. Maybe some of you guys that are close to me can give me a hand wrenching on this bike cause I certainly ain't very mechanically inclined."

Modding a stock seat is easier than retro fitting one from another bike. Each seat there is diffrent and likely would require a diffrent approach.

So I'm unclear what you are doing here as you were not specfic....
Oh well since you say it like that, I'm a ragin retard when it come to mechanic work. Lol. I can do stuff once I'be seen it done first. I'm just worried to death that once I take it apart, I'll never be able to put it back together without havin spare parts left over.

It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Gryfox23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome