Modding a harley or CN 800/900 seat - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Modding a harley or CN 800/900 seat

I am trying to find a "how to" thread on how to mod a Harley or a VN 800/900 seat to fit the VN 750. My search bar will not work for some reason. Can anyone direct me to one or 30? Lol. Thanks.

It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I know several have done this, but don't recall an actual step by step "how to".....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Here is a link to Chuck A.'s album on how he did his 900 seat mod. It might give you a good idea of what's involved.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=422

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Dang. I wish there was a writeup to help me out. I'm actually lookin for a solo seat.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I sent you a link to what I did. If you excluded the "pillion" This would work well as a solo as I utilized the Harley seats side mounts.

Link Again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Or you could go with the En454ltd seat posted in your Newbie post.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfox23 View Post
Dang. I wish there was a writeup to help me out. I'm actually lookin for a solo seat.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you need that much help modifying and fabricating a solo seat, perhaps you aren't the right person to be doing the work. Altering and retro fitting a non standard part takes a certain amount of ingenuity and resourcefulness. If you are lacking this perhaps you're better off finding someone with these skills to do it for you.

There's usually a bike shop in every big town that has someone that can do what you want. Many times for less than you might think.

I made a solo seat for my Project bike (see "Babe" album in my link below) but don't have step by step instructions on how I did it. I made custom
brackets to fit it...but have no lay out of the design...just did it as I went along....much like most folks doing something simular would do. No blueprints here to follow if you get my drift...

KM

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I sent you a link to what I did. If you excluded the "pillion" This would work well as a solo as I utilized the Harley seats side mounts.

Link Again.
I sent a return PM. Thanks again. That welded bracket is exactly what I had in mind before seein the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you need that much help modifying and fabricating a solo seat, perhaps you aren't the right person to be doing the work. Altering and retro fitting a non standard part takes a certain amount of ingenuity and resourcefulness. If you are lacking this perhaps you're better off finding someone with these skills to do it for you.

There's usually a bike shop in every big town that has someone that can do what you want. Many times for less than you might think.

I made a solo seat for my Project bike (see "Babe" album in my link below) but don't have step by step instructions on how I did it. I made custom
brackets to fit it...but have no lay out of the design...just did it as I went along....much like most folks doing something simular would do. No blueprints here to follow if you get my drift...

KM
No sir, I won't be offended. I have purdy tuff skin. While I ain't real mechanically inclined, I do have some brains. I had already started tryin to figure out how I'd mount it cause I knew that they mounted way different. I had the same idea as Kanuck before I ever saw his pics. I just didn't know if there was an easier way to do it. Now that I see that, I know that I was right. I basically just wanted to see how someone else had done it before I gave it the ol "what fer!" but thanks for your input.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Cool. I had seen your other post where you said:

"Thank you for the info and the welcomes. Maybe some of you guys that are close to me can give me a hand wrenching on this bike cause I certainly ain't very mechanically inclined."

Modding a stock seat is easier than retro fitting one from another bike. Each seat there is diffrent and likely would require a diffrent approach.

So I'm unclear what you are doing here as you were not specfic....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Cool. I had seen your other post where you said:

"Thank you for the info and the welcomes. Maybe some of you guys that are close to me can give me a hand wrenching on this bike cause I certainly ain't very mechanically inclined."

Modding a stock seat is easier than retro fitting one from another bike. Each seat there is diffrent and likely would require a diffrent approach.

So I'm unclear what you are doing here as you were not specfic....
Oh well since you say it like that, I'm a ragin retard when it come to mechanic work. Lol. I can do stuff once I'be seen it done first. I'm just worried to death that once I take it apart, I'll never be able to put it back together without havin spare parts left over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement