Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Post It Up!!!! Post pictures of your DIY Modifications here

58K views 146 replies 63 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 · (Edited)
this thread is to showcase home built and inspired parts...
LIKE Homade fiberglass seat

3" shock lowering brackets

an example of repurposing parts. Takeing the stock air filter housing and turn it into the electrical brains of the bike.

See less See more
#6 ·
LED boards for stock OR modified turn signal stalks.
Mounting bracket for driving lights.

Photos and information are in my albums.

More to come......

#8 ·
Tank Bibs-specifically for the VN750-made to order, most popular is the Fire&Steel logo, but can do others if needed.

Attachments

#9 ·
My fwd controls are still in progress...wish I had pics of what I did to my 441 Beezer Victor...
Inspiration ya want, eh ?...get me a torch, a MIG welder, some scrap steel, an old frame, and 3 days...gotta feed me beer while Im there though, lol...thats MY inspiration, lol

#10 · (Edited)
Not a Mod. exactly, or anything I made, but something very cheap that I really like...
I had used a combination cable before till when I went to use it the last time and some way the combination had changed or something, I was not able to get it open or use it...
I picked up this very handy keyed bicycle cable lock for very cheap (china-mart) and love it... I know it won't keep a pro from stealing my bike, but they are not the ones I worry about...

Holder attached to frame... Sorry about the bugs, but I got them the hard way (I earned them)...lol...

Lock in holder...

In holder and front wheel locked, one end is small and can also run thru helmet "D" ring and lock it...

The key stays in the lock when not in use and stored in my saddle bag....

I did do some highway footpegs on the Vulcan that worked out pretty good, really helped on a lay over...

They didn't giveway when I totaled out Clyde either...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#12 ·
Ya know, some of the newer Snortsters have 4.6 gal tanks...been looking fer one of them...

...and OD...where's ya get that front whitewall ?...Im lookin to put whitewalls on mine by spring...that and fishtail tips...

#13 ·
My Sportster has the 4.5 gal. tank, some owners on the forum say the in tank fuel pump takes up near 1/2 gal., but I do get a tad more milage from a tank full than I did on my Vulcans...

The whitewall is a self made whitewall, made on the road below and the one goin to it, a bit of gravel road will make whitewalls ya know...lol...

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=b2lwn8lw

#14 ·
I keep fergettin where yer from OD...lotta limestone down that way...now I understand....dust....
Well, back to what I said...looks like a Shinko rear and an Avon front fer me...about $225 total....I like Avons too, had one on the front of my Harley...so I dont mind the cuple 3 extra bucks...
Then again, been looking at tire paint...and them stick on things fer whitewalls too...but the stick ons are almost as much as a full tire...mebbe will try the paint first...would still like a fatter front though, fer MY gravel roads, lol....

#15 ·
I keep fergettin where yer from OD...lotta limestone down that way...now I understand....dust....
Well, back to what I said...looks like a Shinko rear and an Avon front fer me...about $225 total....I like Avons too, had one on the front of my Harley...so I dont mind the cuple 3 extra bucks...
Then again, been looking at tire paint...and them stick on things fer whitewalls too...but the stick ons are almost as much as a full tire...mebbe will try the paint first...would still like a fatter front though, fer MY gravel roads, lol....
There's about 3 mi. of gravel Rd. to get from the "Devil's Triangle" to that mountain Rd. to Caryville, that's where the limestone dust really came from...
The Rd. down the Mtn. into Caryville is tar & chip with some loose gravel here and there, just enough to make you tippy toe...lol...

#18 ·
when I am done it should be almost 7 gallons.
Dang !....aint that gonna be a lil top heavy then ? :wow: I think Id be satisfied with 5...that'd gimme a 250 mile+ range. Toughest thing is making the tunnel on other tanks work. Damn Vulcan double backbone.

#20 ·
Gotcha...cant wait to see it finished...IMO would almost be easier to replace the double backbone with a single like the EN454 has...ya need 2 outlets fer yer tank too then, right, since the stockers wont balance w/o ?...
but you could just loop a tube under joining sides, then petcock for outlet on one side. Gonna need to braze the loop fittings onto the tank tho (guessing you'll use brass ones). Should work...

#24 ·
Clean & very nice ! I'd buy that ! :)

WilliamTech :smiley_th

#22 ·
Let me know what you guys think .
I see custom paint, aftermarket muffs (Bassani ?), and a store bought lugage rack. Looks sweet !, but this section is more for homemade parts, frame modification, etc, as anyone can "buy and bolt"... ;)

How's the weather down there ?...prime ridin time, aint it ?

#23 ·
It may look aftermarket but its the original which I cleaned up and sawed off the tips to how I liked it. It sounds pretty awesome and the weather is pretty good. All of it is original and was restored to look like new, only a few broken engine parts were bought but thats of course because its the engine. It was all painted and done at home.

#25 ·
My risers, made by chopping the lower part of the handlebar clamp off an upper triple I had laying around. Perfect height adjustment for the Daytona bars I put on the bike:

#28 ·
x2 !

Just looking @ the pic makes me nervous @ any speed above 30 mph !

Reactions: roadpouring
#29 · (Edited)
Scares the snot outta me...I did similar once when I was 16 with some aftermarket risers...steel bolts with an allen head...they stripped outta the holes...that was on my Bultaco Matador...alloy triple tree....if nuthin else, get a 1/8" steel plate with 3 holes, and tie em all together, or drill all the way thru the tree, and nut the ends. If anything, ya shouldda made the piece that hits the handlebar bottom long enough to hit both original mounts (3 holes). That would alleviate the stress on the single points.

#31 ·
Trust me guys, I'd like to do more, but so far I don't see that I have the room. The control panel is in the way to put a plate between the lower clamps and the risers. Here's some more pics:

There's no room to put a plate there and have a bolt long enough to go thru the forward hole and have a nut on the underside. The best I could do at the moment is a plate that covers the middle and rear holes, but that won't accomplish anything.

Only other option I see is a plate on the top of everything, with bolts going thru all three pairs of holes. I'm open to suggestions, but I don't see anything that works.

And FWIW, the middle bolts are quite long. I think it's about 15mm of bolt that go into the mower clamp. Granted, that doesn't help with shear forces, but it IS unlikely to strip out the hole.

#32 · (Edited)
Trust me guys, I'd like to do more, but so far I don't see that I have the room. The control panel is in the way to put a plate between the lower clamps and the risers.
idk...... others should / may be more familiar with your situation.....

EDIT: Dave, I believe you are trying too hard to make your new Bars set-up work on your bike !

I do know.... I would not ride with that set-up. Sorry Dave

#34 ·
EDIT: Dave, I believe you are trying too hard to make your new Bars set-up work on your bike !

That's kind of true; I've already bought them so I want to use them. Kind of a waste otherwise.
Shear isn't the problem. Redundancy is. I believe Wolf mentioned a plate; perhaps 1/8" flat stock with three clearance holes each. At least that way you could tie the other mounting holes into it.
But there's no room for that, unless I figure out some way to shift the setup rearward about half what it is now...

#33 ·
Shear isn't the problem. Redundancy is. I believe Wolf mentioned a plate; perhaps 1/8" flat stock with three clearance holes each. At least that way you could tie the other mounting holes into it.

#36 ·
The bottom of the plate would be where the bottom of the risers are now. And there's not enough room between them and the control panel housing for a nut. I guess I could try to thread the plate, but with only 1/8" worth of threads, I'd be concerned about stripping them. I could go with 1/4" plate, but that might make the bars higher than I want.

Don't know. After all this, I'll probably have to end up buying something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.