The customization bug and problems that come with. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

The customization bug and problems that come with.

Men,

I apologize for AGAIN making my own exclusive thread because of a few things I'm excited about. But I tried doing some of my own customizations and ran into a few problems.

FIRST- I put in new carbon fiber turn signals. They are SICK. They look and work fantastic. The only problem is when I rewired them I had to leave two wires unconnected and now my speedometer and tach lights don't work. What can I do for this?

PICTURES-

SECOND-I put on the Vance and Hines Cruisers. Felt my testosterone rise when I started it for the first time. Absolutely AWESOME! But it backfires a little bit in this mountain air. Should I adjust the air/fuel screws?

-Modifications so far-
  • Drag bars & low mirrors
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • Leather Tank Bib(Credit to Romeobravo172 for craftsmanship)
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm having problems posting pictures.. I'll give it another try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	4670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	4671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	4672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	4673  

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Let's Ride!!

Garage
Hmm, I never would have thought to use the stock signal boots with the aftermarket signals. I have similar signals (though chrome, not CF) and just tweaked things to make them work. I should try that for at least the front signals.

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Yes, just make a clean cut with a sharp knife at the base of the rubber boot and insert the new signal. Mine had a screw in end and I just twisted it into the rubber, fit like a dream and it's very solid.

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Garage
Just a heads up, I had those stalks on my ninja. They gained condensation bad and quick and I later tossed them. I suggest painting the screws and RTV'ing the lense on. I might still have 4 spare bulbs for them those, but not certian. I might have tossed them also. If I still have them, you can have them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

wow awesome, thanks. I knew they weren't very high quality, I got them very cheap on ebay. What is RTV? Also do you think that some polyurethane around the base and loctite at the screws and around the lens would prevent condensation?

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 AM

RTV = silicone....

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 AM

Garage
The screws will corroed, don't let the galvinized look fool you, so paint them! RTV around the lens lip will work enuff, it is weather and temp resistant and looks and works like caulk. I only had them on the rears of the bike, less weather then fronts too. I got mine through a cataloug from a kawi dealer way back. I got something somewhat simular now on the 750, but they at least have a sealing lip.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, I have a tube of silicone here that would work. Will do, thanks. Any ideas on my wiring issue?

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Garage
I'm sure what you did was disconnect the hot running wires from stalks, tape or cap them of course so they don't ground out. Check your connections and fuse. If it was on and grounded out at some point it will blow the fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement