My 85 VN 700 Restoration - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
n00b

My 85 VN 700 Restoration

So here's a little back ground first. I'm young at 19, looking for my first bike so that my wife and I can save $ on Gas. There's no need for me to take my big SUV to work and back every day. I was looking into a Honda CBR 250 for around 3g, but just didn't feel right about it.

So I happened upon this 1985 Vulcan and started to talk to the owner about it. Explained what I was after and asked about the bike a bit. Sat on it (i'm only 5'4", this is important!) and felt it out. The dude tells me if I can fix it and ride it out of his garage then it's mine.

Got that in writing and the Title in my name. Now it's just putting the mechanical experience I have to the test to fix it.

I really have no clue what i'm doing, but I'm already in love woth this bike. She's an old lady for sure, but then again cougars have always liked me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 AM

well good luck with the old girl. i have no idea what you are doing either... you didn't mention much about the bike itself. get some sea foam in the carbs with a syringe, after you drain them and let it soak. clean the tank out too, lots of info here on the subject. the tires need replaced if it has been sitting that long, for sure, even if not bald. get an agm battery and some new ngk plugs and crank her over, if it runs warm it up and replace the oil and filter right away. best bet is to replace all fluids and lube the splines. just surf the sight, you came to the right place.

oh and since you are young, take the rider safety course, and ride with some experienced riders if possible, they will have a lot of advice. make sure you search the site, learn all you can, practice emergency moves (you will need them sooner than later) and wear some protective gear.

my best advice,

1)make a habit of using BOTH brakes and your gearbox to slow down at EVERY stop so it becomes natural

2) look at every cage as though it is some *%#@%& idiot driving while eating a bowl of soup, texting, and changing a cd. because some of them are.

3) watch out for wild life, pets, kids, etc especially at dawn and dusk.

good luck with the bike!

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Welcome I see you have made a start by taking the carbs off good move, give them a good cleaning, clean all electrical connections get good grounds and smear with di-electric grease,

make sure before you crank the bike on the starter that the engine is free turn it over by hand,

get a AGM battery and Iridium plugs, change out the oil and check the oil screen for debris,

check tank for rust and crap and the petcock works, clean out put in new gas and add some seafoam,

check foam filters renew if rotting if ok oil them, and see how you go from there

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Check out the thread on my '85 here....

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19429

The 85, IMO was the best year for Vulcans. That and 86.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Garage
Welcome and good luck! I suggest cleaning the gas tank, gas cap and the carbs first. Then drive it home and repair the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement