Stella "Pic Heavy" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stella "Pic Heavy"

I bought my bike about 5 weeks ago. I planned on making a thread for her as soon as I figured out a name for her and has just become Stella. I know everyone loves pics "I do" so I post as many as I can as I go. If you have questions, comments, suggestions etc. speak freely here!

Story of bike:
For the most part unknown to me.

My story:
I had been searching for a bike for weeks on craigslist with several requirements. This one popped up after looking after work one day, it fit most of the requirements I was looking for. Ad said it was a 2002 not currently running and in great shape with low miles for $1k. When seen I contacted ready to buy right then. I only asked him how many miles where on it, he said 13k and hadn't ridden it for a year had an incident that scared him off bikes. He said it was never dropped, I basicly bought it over the phone right then. He had alot of interests in the few hours posted, but I was the only one offering money. He was 1.5 hours away and couldn't even look at it. I basicly bought it over the phone by word. By the time I got there he had a few more calls on it even though he removed the add after word of mouth sale. When I got there I basicly paid for it with looking at it little in the middle of night. I knew off the bat I had some work to do to get it running such as a carb cleaning and new battery plus more as they would come up.

The next day I figured out it was actually a 2000, he didn't know what he was talking about or bs'ing. It was still ok to me. Only brings me to believe you never know. So I am going over everything as I go. I got him on my facebook so if I have a question I can always ask and he can see it transform. I'm not a "stock" person, I mod everything so don't bother trying to convince me otherwise, it won't happen!

I'm still very pleased. After 5 weeks, I still haven't cranked her over. There are things I want set good before "I" even try too. In this time I have done alot to her, but still not ready to crank over to me. I'm figuring sometime in May I may try to turn her over and run her. When I first got her I figured it would be a short term project "about a month" before I ran her. It has however turned into a medium term project. Things keep coming up that need attention.

I said enuff for now, time for pics!
The craigslist add pics I basicly bought it from:

Saddle bags came off when I started to load her on a truck, later went into the trash.

First pic I took a few hours after I dropped it off at home.

First shots before I start any work:

The pictures actually make it look much better then she was.

I'm not doing anything in any specific order, so don't be surprised if things are jumped around~

More to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Jack of all trades

well I guess its time to change your sig now isn't it? Nice looking bike btw.
post #3 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, haha I do.

It took a couple days to get caught up on sleep from staying up all night getting it. And the work begins! First thing I had to do was completely remove the front brakes. The piston or pistons where locked open and or had no fluid in the system too, I couldn't really even roll it had to have help moving it 5 feet off the truck. I removed the front brakes and rolled it to a new place to work on it.

How bad the fork seals where.

Fuel vent was rusted so bad and snapped inside the hose.

I ordered a bunch of parts and waited for them to come in and decided to yank off the intake. My first goal was to get it running first then mod it. I couldn't wait and started.
Stock air filter assembly aka ear.

complete intake system.

pair valve and you can see the bad battery box there.

Intake gone including pair valve.

Left side no intake.

Right side no intake.

post #4 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Removed the fog lights.

Stock tag bracket.

Removed tag bracket.

Dry rotted front signals.

Reed valves

badged

debadged

Sidestand, I was barely able to put it down.

Sidestand all cleaned up and removed switch.

removed the reflectors
post #5 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I freaked out when I first saw this. I though the rectifier wasn't hooked up. There is another one mounted on the side of the battery box from a different bike.

My home made tag bracket.

Tag bracket with plate.

Reed plates I had made, not the best looking but will work for now.

Spark plug comparison

Breather I installed. I got it and shipped to me for a $1 couldn't beat that!

Broken choke lever and the line was ceased.

Progress...

Original battery box rusted out. It was actually rusted in half and could'nt hold a battery. Got a box from an 03 and cleaned it up too.
post #6 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery box installed.

All back together but cargo box and front brakes.

New choke lever and broke and lubed the line free.

Headlight and gauges removed.

Stock 1157 incandescent bulbs.

Led 1157 45's.

Gauges in work.

gauges done.

Gauges at night. 100% LED converted and changed the colors, they where all green.
post #7 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel cap won't open, it is ceased. More to work on later.

I noticed the front wheel bearings are shot. 1/16 movement both ways. Front wheel removed.

Removed forks to work on them too. Notice the large pile of parts set for trash from her.

This is how it looked behind the seal. Can you even see the snap ring?

Wheel bearing comparison.

Relocated and upgraded power wires to 4 gauge.

Got tired of the exhaust, I removed it all but the headers.
post #8 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This was my kitchen. Have two bike front ends in. Was going to work on the forks and the wheel bearings at the same time. It ended up looking like this for about 2 weeks. I have no pictures of, I had an issue with speedometer housing. The gears where locked up in it and the reciever was shot cause of it. Bought a new reciever and a used housing. Housing had one gear locked up in it also. I had to tear it all apart, clean, lube and rebuild it too.

In the mean time with the housing issue, I worked on the forks.

Forks fully rebuilt and reinstalled.

Stock right side header.

Right side header modified.

Still needs work, but an idea of what the exhaust will look like.

Finally finished the front wheel and reinstalled.

Front view of new signals. Not yet wired up cause I need to troubleshoot some wiring in the headlight first. Some wires where messed with previously.

Side view of signals. They will glow "led" yellow, bulbs are on order.

That is where I am at now. More to come, I will update...
post #9 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Looking good Reb
post #10 of 181 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Daily rider

Garage
Loved looking through the pictorial. I'm sure it will come in handy for someone down the road. I'm just thinking you overpaid for the bike. It looks like it sat outside in the weather for quite some time. All the pics are supporting that - especially the front forks and bearings.

Looks like you do good work, though. I'm sure it will be nice when you're done with it.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement