DupliColor Paint Tip - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
DupliColor Paint Tip

Hello All. I thought I'd share my experience with painting my bike. I used the Duplicolor quart paint to color my scoot. I used it as it was a very inexpensive option. $22 a quart.
I
did a silver base then bought a concentrated candy to mix in the clear. I also used a duplicolor rattle can for a darker tint in some areas. All was fine & dandy, it came out really nice. I did have to wet sand & buff to get a nice gloss finnish but here's where my lack of paint knowledge came in to play.

Duplicolor paints are laqure based. This is very reactive to gas. So you can imagine my disgust when the first drop of gass splashed onto the tank. Imediate tarnish. Damb. So I started looking into what I could use over the laqure & was gas resistant. What I found by recomendation of a local paint shop was "DAU75 ACRYLIC URETHANE CLEAR PPG" The hardner to use with it is "DXR80 DELSTAR ACRYLIC ENAMEL HARDENER PPG". It's a 16:1 ratio so you only need the small bottle of hardner.

I shot the bike last night so obviously I don't have any pics yet. But will say I was VERY pleased with the outcome. This stuff dries with a beautiful gloss finnish. I may still wet sand cause I'm not a proffesional painter lol & I did get a slight orange peel effect. But once I get it in the sun I may be happy with it. Who knows. The tools I used was my 6hp 33gallon compressor & a cheap harbor frieght (standard) paint gun. I probably didn't have my gun tweeked perfectly but hey, it's a garage paint job & the whole thing cost me a little over $200. Not to shabby. I want to mention too, the quart of the clear is enough to do my bags, fenders, tank, windshield & forks with some to spare. So, don't be afraid to use this cheep paint. You can get good results with it, you just HAVE to use this good clear coat to finnish it off.

Last edited by kanuck69; 06-16-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Better? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Great info...... But you need to learn about writing "paragraphs". ... Trying to read a long giant single paragraph off a monitor or small screen is difficult for your readers...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Single paragraphs are ok. Married ones can get really annoying.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Enough with my crappy writing skills. We're not all able to "Pilot" the writen word with such "Liberty". lol

Last edited by kanuck69; 06-16-2011 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
Enough with my crappy writing skills. We're not all able to "Pilot" the writen word with such "Liberty". lol
Why drag Liberty Pilot into this? Knifemaker is the one claiming to be the authority on how to write. The fact is that if all poor grammar and terrible spelling was used to block responses to threads here there would be no communications. I didn't know that only perfection was allowed here and before someone responds with an "all in good fun, you need thick skin for this forum", my response is BS. I say we should all write our questions and or comments as best we can so as to get our point out there. If you need perfect grammar go read a book someplace else.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM

hmm... someone forgot to take his meds today.

Knifemaker made a suggestion. A good one too, and it seems it was actually taken in pretty well by the original poster, cause when I read it, it was no longer one big paragraph.

He also made it without saying anything offensive, which is a plus.

I also found Kanuck69's sentence to be quite cool and amusing... he wasn't "dragging" LibertyPilot into anything, just giving him props about his writing skills (which I agree with) in a very original way (and now I gotta give props to Kanuck69 for it lol).

Your comment, however (Vulcan2000) is quite... stupid. However, you did write "my response is BS" and I definitely agree with you, your response is most definitely B.S.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

H
o
w

a
b
o
u
t

i
f

w
e

w
r
i
t
e

l
i
k
e

t
h
i
s
?

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
hmm... someone forgot to take his meds today.

Knifemaker made a suggestion. A good one too, and it seems it was actually taken in pretty well by the original poster, cause when I read it, it was no longer one big paragraph.

He also made it without saying anything offensive, which is a plus.

I also found Kanuck69's sentence to be quite cool and amusing... he wasn't "dragging" LibertyPilot into anything, just giving him props about his writing skills (which I agree with) in a very original way (and now I gotta give props to Kanuck69 for it lol).

Your comment, however (Vulcan2000) is quite... stupid. However, you did write "my response is BS" and I definitely agree with you, your response is most definitely B.S.
Well I stand corrected. I originally thought this forum was for helping those with motorcycle problems and sharing information from experience. Now I know that grammar is the first priority and cycles are second. I will contact the editor first before posting in the future. I am really sorry you missed my point but I am sure it was due to my writing skills rather than your narrow mindedness. Too bad they don't make a med to cure that.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Lord this is a touchy group. My comment was just a suggestion, as Ceal wrote, and not meant to be offensive, condensending, or charged with any ill will.

I don't care about how you spell or ones poor grammer, I just want to be able to read a persons post without backtracking several times because I , and many others, have a hard time following lines of text when there are no breaks or spaces in it.

Some of us old FKS have to wear reading glasses and are not reading off 17 inch HD moniters. My suggestion was to make your post readable to all... just the simple act of being considerate of others.

It has nothing to do with "proper grammer" to simply arrange what you wrote so it is easier to read. So it seems someone missed my point too....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Well it seems like you missed my point entirely. I do understand what you're saying... but you made too big a deal about a suggestion.

Also, just because you CAN be a complete idiot, doesn't mean you should be.

Organizing your thoughts into understandable sentences can actually help you get better answers to your questions and it can help other people understand your advice too, so it's not unrelated to helping other people with their motorcycle.

I still don't see where anyone other than yourself says that grammar comes first or that you have to be perfect to be on this forum...

EDIT: Response was meant for Vulcan2000 but KM put in a post while I was typing

Last edited by Ceal; 06-16-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement