Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

powdercoating

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Spockster 
#1 ·
I know people powdercoat frames, wheels, and engine parts, but has anyone ever tried powdercoating a tank and fenders? It costs more around here to have a tank and fenders painted than it does to have a car painted. It wouldn't be a shiny as paint, but how would it hold up, especially to gas?

#2 · (Edited)
Powdercoat is very fuel resistant, and there's also a gloss coat.

Was watching a car show the other day, they were powdercoating a car frame. It was a matte looking finish after they applied it, but after baking in the huge oven, it was as glossy as ten coats of clear. It was on Motor Trend TV, Kindig-it or something like that, the Kindig guy.

Looked for his video but they're all on fakebook. So here's a glossy gas tank on youtube, you can see the finished product at 1:30.

#3 ·
That looks exactly what I want for my Sportster. As glossy as possible, definitely not matte. Right now it has the original paint, and I don't like it. It is mostly white, with black sections and orange pinstriping. Kinda like this http://d2qn5pre0p0oeu.cloudfront.net/i4/d405bf79/c09071c1/753618942o.jpg. I want a solid color, but don't want to pay $700 for a paint job.

#4 ·
You can get a DIY kit, prices vary. Then spend $20 on an old oven and bake that puppy. You might like it and start doing pieces for other people.

I've painted a lot, but powdercoat looks a lot less technical and requires less finesse, less materials.

#5 ·
I have never ben very good at painting or bodywork. I'm the mechanical type. There is a local place here that does powder coating on car, truck, and motorcycle parts. If you mess up paint, it can be removed. My understanding is that powder coat is not so easy to remove. I even thought about trying Plasti Dip, it comes off really easy. But it leaves a matte finish. I might just take the parts to Maaco and see what they say. They painted my truck hood gloss black for $100 a few years ago.

#6 ·
If you go ahead and do it, PLEASE post pics here so we can see.

#7 ·
I've watched powder being applied, in person, it looks like as long as you get full coverage, it turns out nice and doesn't run like paint. It all lays down nice and smooth when you bake it. Not sure what is used to electrically charge the piece, which makes the powder stick while applying.

As soon as I find a swimming pool, I'm trying my hand at hydro-dip. All sorts of patterns and colors with that, and it's durable. You use clearcoat on it after the dip, either matte, satin, or gloss. I can do my ATV body for about $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.