Idea for a 900 seat while keeping the backrest - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Idea for a 900 seat while keeping the backrest

Hey all,

Long story short, I have a 900 seat I'm trying to fit onto the bike, BUT, to keep my girlfriend riding on the bike, I have to keep the sissy bar and backrest. I think I have an idea and wanted to run it by some of you to see what you think

I was thinking I could take some steel flatbar, about 13 or so inches long, and put 3 holes in it, that are 6.25" apart The first 2 holes would be used to bolt it into the frame and secure the rear fender, and would be covered by my saddlebags. Then the 2nd (aka middle) hole, and the 3rd hole, would be used to hold the existing supports (the ones that hold the current extended back rest.

At first glance, this moves the backrest back just under 6 inches, which is enough for the 900 seat, and would only lift it about 2 inches. It looks like the very back tip of the back rest would sit just forward of the brake light.

So I think I could pull this off with 2 lengths of steel flatbar, with 3 mounting holes, and a slight bend in each just after the 2nd holes. Anybody think this could work? Any glaring issues with my thinking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:17 AM

I don't know without some research, but any seat mod that includes the words .. "moves .. back 6 inches", gets my attention. Hope to see pics.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM

As long as you use stout enough flat stock and it actually supports the seatpan. Maybe a crossbrace or two?
According to which plane you wish to bend said flatstock, you may want to start with wider stock and simply notch it.
Might be time to invest in a welder...
Pics of GF necessary before any further guesswork...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement