Need help with my 95 project!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ubertalldude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Need help with my 95 project!!!

Hey guys, im 16 years old and just got my second bike a couple days ago, its 95 and doesnt run but im hoping that its only because the guy that i bought it from took it out and claimed that he cleaned it. I was trying to fit the carbs back in last night ,which was a PITA btw, and I couldn't get it but i took a closer look at the carbs and i think that the jets were still gunked up so i need to find a way to get those unclogged. Is there a special way or magical trick to fit the carbs in because i spent a solid 45 minutes trying to fit it in with no success.

Some other things that are wrong with it that i can tell right now is that the front brakes are siezed up and the blinkers are all off because the plastic has distagrated, other than that everything looks good, ill upload some pictures once this weather clears up. If yall could could give me some advice that would be great, thank you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM

The carbs suck no matter what, you just have to fight them to get 'em in. I find it helps to use something to sort of manuver the boots onto the output snouts of the carbs, may even be a good idea to smear a little grease on the boots before you try to slide the carbs into them. This is all, of course, best done AFTER you've fully cleaned the carbs, which will likely require a full disassembly and a soaking in something like chem dip or at least a lot of compressed air and carb cleaner. Just DON'T get carb cleaner on the rubber bits!

Blinkers you'll have to replace, aftermarket should be ok. LED's are good but they'll blink really fast unless you put a newer flasher unit in there (located under the seat behind the battery)

Front brakes you'll have to disassemble and probably get new pads. Also a very good idea to bleed the brakes with fresh fluid.
Thorn likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Would i need to buy a carb rebuild kit or anything when i clean it? Or could i avoid that, its in fairly good condition its just that the jets are clogged with old fuel

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:19 PM
GDI

Well, as far as magic tricks go--don't know about that, but maybe a couple of ideas for you. Likely if you're seeing problems with clogged jets you're going to need to work on the idle circuit, too. Don't know how familiar you are with carbs, but I'm guessing at 16 you might need a little advice? These carbs have idle screws that are set intentionally lean at the factory so that they have lower emissions. They'll run better if you turn them 1/4 turn out our so. Problem being that they're also hidden behind block-off plates that you may have to remove unless a previous owner has already done that for you. I don't have any pictures handy or I would share. . . .

Will also want to remove the idle screws and get some carb cleaner through those passages. Be careful though. idle screws are made of brass and quite fragile. You want to turn them all the way in counting how many turns they're set at and then note that value so you can use that same setting (or 1/4 turn out from there) when you replace them. Also must be cautious not to overtighten them! Be careful when you remove them as there will be a tiny o-ring in there, and a tiny spring that is there to keep that screw from moving on its own.

Also, I had my carbs off this winter, and I have to say they are a worthy challenge to install! One thing I did was to remove the idle adjustment screw while I was installing the carbs, then added the idle adjustment after the carbs were in place. After finishing up, I was pretty sure that the carbs had never been installed properly before I removed them. Getting the carb boots tightened up was probably more than someone that earns their living by the hour wanted to screw around with.

Be careful, take your time--you can do it!

GDI
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much GDI, ive dabbled a bit with the idle screws on my last bike, i had a 82 gl500 and i had to mess around with the idle screws a bit to get it running, im not too familiar with carbs and i could've identified the wrong part, just to clarify is the idle screws thr brass screw on the bottom of the carb? Ill upload some pics asap to show you what im talking about
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 PM
GDI

I'm talking about 16014 in this pic

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...rburetor-parts

Picture shows the block-off plug (92066) as well. Normal procedure is to drill a hole in the plug. It is a soft metal like brass or aluminum. Then take a deck screw or some self-tapping screw and pull it out. Again you have to be very cautious because a drill will easily wreck that idle screw as well.

Looks like a forgot to mention there is a washer in addition to the o-ring and spring! Details, details!

GDI
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

If you zoom in on the diagram you can see three little holes next to each other on the bottom of the upright circle, that’s what I can see is really gunked up with something
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordrepasi View Post
If you zoom in on the diagram you can see three little holes next to each other on the bottom of the upright circle, that’s what I can see is really gunked up with something
That's an unusual spot to be clogged up. Should check the air filters to be sure they aren't falling apart and getting sucked into the carbs.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

If i installed the carburetor could i use seafoam to get everything cleaned up?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Seafoam will help a little bit for a carb that's a little gummed up, but while you have it out and know it's clogged you should take the carbs apart and clean them out before you wrangle them in, find it doesn't quite run right, wrangle them out, etc. etc.

Clean 'em good once and you should be free and clear for a long time as long as you run it often and keep good fresh gas in it.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement