Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Goat Belly

6K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Loran in Npvl IL 
#1 ·
Hey y'all I did the goat belly this Saturday !!
Easy as could be and man does it sound great "just like a cruiser should !!"
It took about 4 hours but could have been less if not for a very rusty bolt.
I have a little popping on deceleration but ya know I kinda like it.
I did not feel any difference in low end but much more power in the high band
just like some one previously said "it was like flying".
I was able to use a standard u-clamp on the right side by rotating the shield
a few degrees upward.Well thats the story.Another mod accomplished.:pepper:

#2 ·
did you use scooter works degoat kit, or you make your own?

#3 ·
Gb

I used my own method but I did take the advice of one of the guys who is a member here. Total cost in parts was $ 19.09 including tax. All you need are two lengths of 1 3/4 flex pipe,two u-clamps keep the old strap clamps and a hacksaw.

If you Google "goat Belly'" you'll come across the detailed instructions that I used.

#4 ·
thanks for the info, i think i may do that untill i can find someone to make some custom pipes for me

#5 ·
Say there Artman,
That is a really good idea. But don't the flex pipes leak a bit of sound and impact the quality of the tone? Many years ago I used them on a '64 Chevy Impala Doug's header installation because the X frame design forced a bend and exit toward the outside of the body which required a rather radical bend in the pipes that linked the headers to the mufflers. Sorta heard a hissing sound. That link required a sharp and peculiar bend to get back to the mufflers. Later had custom pipes made because of the sound that sorta "leaked" through the flex pipe. Perhaps you do not have a similar sound because the egress is rather straight, by comparison.

The Scootworks solution is good if you spend the time to make for a good leak proof tight fit.
Bye,
Sam612

#7 ·
Well I took mine out today. Two lengths of 1 3/4 flex pipe,two u-clamps .. Pretty Easy but I guess I was in too much of a hurry to take it out with the new sound. Have two minor leaks but am fixing those tonight. I also saw no real difference on the low end and more power at the high

#8 ·
Today must have been goat belly day, took mine out also. Had Cobras and uncontrollable popping so I bought a stock system from Crystalship and ran that with viturally no popping(I had backed out the mixture screws) will tinker with it somemore as I don't really care for the popping .It does have less grunt off the line but more power over 4 grand. Will see how my neighbor likes it at 5:30am.

#10 ·
I used the Scoot works kit, I would not go back.
It comes with heatsheld tape. It also had plugs to get rid of the reedvalves(Marble). I would recomend putting zipties to hold them on. I lost one because I didn't.
I did have to adjust the air screws, it is in the verses on how if you don't know. I also drilled out the screens in the mufler. If you look in the motorside of the muffler you will see what I am talkng about. it gave free flow through the muffler. I have ridden with people with V&H pipes and sounds very close.
Good luck

#14 ·
Should be less than a hour if your exhaust is in good shape, a little longer if your hardware is rusted.

#16 ·
I completed degoating and also adjusting carburetors . Will try it out tomorrow. I notice my left side is a little louder than right side. I guess its because left exhaust pipe is shorter. I think it should make the life expectancy of stator much longer. Also added a battery voltage monitor , which i really like. Just knowing what is going on is nice. You guys have saved me a bundle of money and are in the process of making me a pretty good wrench.Your posts and threads take you right to the point and save a lot of research. Thanks

#17 ·
bilyum said:
I notice my left side is a little louder than right side. I guess its because left exhaust pipe is shorter.
Mine was degoated by the previous owner, with (I believe) Cobra pipes added on, and the right side seems to sound louder to me, when I'm sitting on it.
If I get behind the bike, they sound pretty much the same.

#21 ·
Eggnog - You really must read ALL the Vulcan Verses. It will help you out in the long run and prevent further embarassment when we bring up decloning and reskinning.

#22 ·
cegodsey said:
Eggnog - You really must read ALL the Vulcan Verses. It will help you out in the long run and prevent further embarassment when we bring up decloning and reskinning.
Big 10-4 on that one, and don't forget the Positronic brain mod in the EMM so we can make the switch to injection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.