Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - View Single Post - Neutral Finder
Thread: Neutral Finder
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Neutral Finder

I'm looking for any information on a 1986 "positive neutral finder" feature of the VN.

The way the bike shifts into 1st and 2nd gear is seemingly inconsistent:
[From a dead stop]Sometimes instead of shifting from neutral,down, to 1st gear, the bike won't sit into gear. I have to shift UP into 2nd(? or is it 1st ?), begin accelerating and then shift back down to what feels like 1st gear. When (this above) happens I cannot shift UP, only DOWN and then back UP to find 2-3-4.

[Other times] The bike feels like it isn't making it into 2nd or 3rd, it somehow goes into neutral and as the RPM starts to whine I shift up or down to find a gear--which sometimes works first try, but other times takes 3 or 4 tries

I'd say 40% of the time everything shifts correctly from N-1st-2nd.. etc...from a sitting stop to go.

The majority of mess up's happen when trying to find 1st gear. The bike just won't let me get into 1st unless I *dumbly* start tapping the shift lever all around or shift UP into gear and back down

Now I'm wondering if I'm just not using the "neutral finder" thing correctly or maybe I need some clutch/tranny work. The clutch cable IS pretty worn (old).
If anyone's got any idea on this I'd love to hear it.
Thanks, and RIDE ON.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome