Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Opinions/Advice

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mercilessgod 
#1 ·
Ok...2001 Vulcan 750...paid $800 for the bike and have about another 450 in it so far. Motor locked up in it and caused damage to the heads. bike started and ran after it cooled down. pulled it apart, bought a set of heads and put it back together. Wouldn't fire. Had good compression, etc. Tore it down again and reset timing...still won't fire up...My choices are this, I can either get it fixed by someone, and renew an existing loan I have to pay for it (as long as it is 1K or less for the fix) or I can sell it as is for $850... I can't really decide what to do, but fixing it myself is not an option. I have too much going on right now but I really want to be riding as the weather is turning nice (plus it would save me a buttload in gas cost going to work). Ideas? Thoughts?

#3 ·
You have $1250 ($800 plus $450) in it so far and sending it out to be fixed will cost you a bit more. Selling for $850 now will only leave you down $400. To recoup that in fuel savings will take some time. Those seem to be the hard facts initially. Renewing a loan with interest to pay for professional repairs would only add to the whole situation. I would check to see if there are any members from this forum in the Georgia area that would be willing to give you a hand with the diagnosis of the problem and then reevaluate. If you can get the repairs done yourself with some assistance and find out that it is a simple fix rather than a major $$ problem you might be back in business. Going to a dealership will cost you big time as they are out to make a healthy profit from the very beginning. Diagnostic time with them can be a long process since they can build the profit right from there. They are also more inclined to over repair. JMHO

#4 ·
The costs I'm evaluating are the cost of another bike, versus what I have in this one plus repairs. If i can get it done for around 1K, then I have a bike that I have already started fitting to myself and will probably come out cheaper than if I buy another one. The closest thing I have seen around here is a 93 Vulcan 500, but the guy wants too much for it IMHO. As far as me having the time to diagnose, even with help from forum members, and repair myself, I really don't have the time. I WON'T be taking it to a dealership to fix....ever, but there are a few shops around here that I can take it to.

#9 ·
long story short, was leaving work and popped the clutch out a bit quick, bike stalled and when i cranked it up again, the oil light was on...had happened before and had gone back off after about 1/2 mile of riding. thought it would be ok so started riding home and....it wasn't...went to d/s to try to make it to gas station and motor locked up. got my wife to pick me up and got the bike home, let it cool down, and then started it up (it ran) but made horrible clicking noise. shredded rear cam journal and started wearing on front so replaced both heads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.