Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

died

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  niterider 
#1 ·
Rode the bike to Buffalo over the 4th weekend and everything was going fine till i hit the NY border, then the PGS hit. Opened the cap and put it on prime and it fired right up switchd it back to run and 35 miles later put put put....then opened gas cap put on prime and it fired right back up again!!!!!!!

Well after 10 miles of smelling gas i pushed the cap down no problems the rest of the way(stil on prime)

On the way home left it in the prime(for those that don't know earlier modles had prime instead of OFF on the petcock) ran great till the very end!!

In the home stretch the RPMs dropped to 0 and I was like WTF pulled the clutch in and the loudest backfire I ever heard rang out from the tail pipes and the RPMs came back.

Figuring this was a one time event i thought nothing of it and kept on going. Well the other day on a short trip home from work the same thing happened RPMs dropped to 0 clutch in and backfire and then back to normal. Anyone else ever experience anything like that?

oh yea i get the occasional crazy tach needle jumping around

Even with the small inconvenences I love this bike and I have no doubt when it gives me trouble it will restart,

F

See less See more
#3 ·
Almost sounds like a dirty electrical connection somewhere.

#5 · (Edited)
it would sound to me that you leaving it on prime that it's flooding something terrible. Did you try the res? you may need to check the vac hose from the petcock and aslo clean the petcock out or rebuild it.

as far as the tach and stuff, clean all your contacts in and around your junction box and the headlight bucket etc.. with a "PLASTIC SAFE" contact cleaner, just make sure to clean all the contacts you can find.

#6 ·
Ya was thinking of replacing all the hoses on the fuel system. Hadn't given a thought to rebuilding the petcock. It coulda been flooding just weird it happened a 100ish miles from starting.

Cleaning the electical connections I had thougt about as a winter type thing but I can prolly get most at most of them in no time.

Ruger the ride was alot of fun!! Darien lake Nope Anchor Bar yep Main reason for going to Buffalo tho was Wifes 20 yr reunion.

Natxbrotha Sell It??????? Hell NO

#8 ·
Ruger the ride was alot of fun!! Darien lake Nope Anchor Bar yep Main reason for going to Buffalo tho was Wifes 20 yr reunion.

Natxbrotha Sell It??????? Hell NO
cool! Anchor Bar? never been there. checked out the web site, looks like a nice place. was there something under the "v-rod" to catch the dripping oil? hee. hee.

right on about selling it!:rockon::smiley_th

have you heard about "Doc's Deepwood Run"? it's Aug. 10th, the wife and I will be doing it. we did it two years ago, it's a real nice run and a lot of fun! if you think you want to do it and if you want maybe we could meet and ride together? it's up to you, just let me know.

#9 ·
Your problem is electrical, IMO. When the elecrical flow stops, the muffler fills with unburned fuel. And after the electrons start to flow again the fuel in the muffler ignites and that is why the back fire. I am guessing the ignition switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.