Chair Riding... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Chair Riding...

Back when I was learning to fly helicopters, my instructors introduced me to something called "Chair Flying". This is exactly what it sounds like. You sit in a chair, position your hands and feet like you would if you were in a helicopter, and imagine flying around. You imagine the runway in front of you, what the scene looks like as you take off, what the horizon looks like as you bank into turns, and what the ground looks like as you're landing. I did it as much as they said to (at least once a day) and I noticed myself progressing much faster than the other students.

Now, as a certified flight instructor (CFI), I can tell exactly which students chair fly and which ones don't believe it works. The students that chair fly progress on average 3 times faster.

I decided to take this learning experience and see if it applies to motorcycling. It does. If I'm going to be off the bike for a few weeks due to weather, travel, etc. I "chair ride" about every other day for maybe 15 minutes. I assume the riding posture, close my eyes, and picture a gradual right turn and feel myself leaning. Then I imagine a tight right turn, "see" what it looks like, and feel it as I lean into it. I do the same for left turns. I imagine highway situations that require more or less throttle, down shifting, or panic breaking. I imagine how hard I have to squeeze the break handle in order to shorten stopping distance without locking up the tires. Then the next time I'm out on the road I'm really not that rustly. Every turn that I come upon has a reference to one I've imagined and so can be dealt with. It REALLY works.

Give it a shot if you haven't been riding for a while. Sit down in a chair that won't tip over from you leaning, close your eyes, assume riding position, and imagine a road, any road. Picture left and right, tight and gradual turns. Picture accelerating to get out of the way and do the motions with your hands and feet. I PROMISE the next time you go out you'll have already brushed off at least half of the rust.

Side note and funny story: my instructor said to practice this alone as you look kinda funny doing it. Chair riding isn't that bad as you look like your riding a motorcycle. Chair flying on the other hand, not so much. The "stick" that controls the heli comes right up between your legs. Without it there but with your hand in position, it might look a little odd, especially considering your eyes are closed. I know this because my girlfriend, who can apparently be quite stealthy, walked in on me one time and said, "What the HELL are you doing?!" It took me 25 minutes to prove to her "chair flying" was a real pilot practice...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 03-16-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Interesting. And can't hurt to try...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM

My flight instructor told me the same thing too....and it's working!
visualizing things in your head helps a lot..i tend to see myself riding in my dream..it's awesome, but sometime the bike won't start then i get really really mad....i know it's funny but riding gets in your blood even in your dreams

Laterz

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
.........The "stick" that controls the heli comes right up between your legs. Without it there but with your hand in position, it might look a little odd, especially considering your eyes are closed. I know this because my girlfriend, who can apparently be quite stealthy, walked in on me one time and said, "What the HELL are you doing?!" It took me 25 minutes to prove to her "chair flying" was a real pilot practice.....

Well next time don't do it naked...lol

Visualization has always been a helpfull training aid , especialy in sports:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/s.../aa091700a.htm

Back when I roadraced , visualizing the course and picturing where you wish to shift, brake,and accellerate was a tool pretty much used by evey racer. You did not really need to hold your hands out and "assume the position" but merely SEE yourself doing it. However many did lean, move their hands to apply brakes or clutch ....and even make engine noises....

I think those out there that due to their local weather have been unable to ride , could benifit from such exercises , if for no other reason than quenching their psychological addiction....lol.

If you can go sit on your bike to do this. even better.

I do think there are many of us here , who have logged in giga-amounts of "flight hours" added to the fact that we never go more than 3-4 weeks without riding, never really feel we are getting "rusty", and that "Chair riding" as a learning or "recovery" tool is not needed.

But I do think those stuck with months off the bike and/or relitively new to riding can benifit from it.

Just keep your pants on.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-03-2009 at 06:47 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Vintage bike addict

Very interesting.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

You could also use my YouTube video as a visual aid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3buimf6Nq5U

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
You could also use my YouTube video as a visual aid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3buimf6Nq5U
Nice...here's one with nicer scenery and a better POV angle:
http://tinyurl.com/ce8qrb

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Late to the party

>Nice...here's one with nicer scenery and a better POV angle:

Now those are some real twisties! There is a considerable amount of traffic in the Alps too.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

Last edited by jabarry; 03-04-2009 at 11:33 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 AM

WOW! What kind of mileage do you get on you're chair.

2001 Black & Silver
2500 miles
Cobra pipes
ISO Grips
Custom mirrors
Maintenance Free Battery
Shaved and jetted
lowered 2 inches
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Undercover Sportbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Nice...here's one with nicer scenery and a better POV angle:
http://tinyurl.com/ce8qrb

KM
OK, I quit! I can't compete with the damn Alps!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement