Interstate riding - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Interstate riding

How do you feel about interstate riding on a 750? I feel fine myself, but after 85 mph it starts srtuggling to overtake when the wind is up.
Is a 750 big enough? some say NO , only good for around town only!
Where is the limits for 750 class. Opinions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech View Post
How do you feel about interstate riding on a 750? I feel fine myself, but after 85 mph it starts srtuggling to overtake when the wind is up.
With the Mods I have done my VN700 has no problem overtaking on a windy day, she is good for about 115- 120 mph.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

How do i mod mine lance, do i jet the carbs a bit bigger?? Is mine gutted down like a car to be ozone freindly?
I do have plexifairing which of course has huge resistance, but 120mph headroom sounds brilliant mate, fill me in BUDDY.

Last edited by Mastertech; 01-31-2009 at 08:17 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
How do you feel about interstate riding on a 750? I feel fine myself, but after 85 mph it starts srtuggling to overtake when the wind is up. Is a 750 big enough? some say NO , only good for around town only! Where is the limits for 750 class. Opinions please.
I've been on three 1,000-mile trips on my VN 750. It has done very well, particularly when I haven't been in a hurry (I generally cruise between 65-80 mph) and I space out my travel days (e.g. 2-3 days of riding, followed by a few days of relaxing). I've ridden 500 miles in a day twice, but don't recommend it! Personally, I prefer meandering on "blue highways" and back roads to bolting down interstates, but sometimes I just have to get there quickly.

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 01-31-2009 at 08:43 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRector View Post
I've been on three 1,000-mile trips on my VN 750. It has done very well, particularly when I haven't been in a hurry (I generally cruise between 65-80 mph) and I space out my travel days (2-3 days of riding, a few days of relaxing). I've gone 500 miles in a day twice, but don't recommend it! Personally, I prefer meandering on "blue highways" and back roads instead of bolting down interstates, but sometimes I just have to get there quickly.

Thankyou Easy, do you ever feel like 6000 rpm is a bit noisy, i suppose all motorbikes rev high, need the power.
How does it do at 90?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Thankyou Easy, do you ever feel like 6000 rpm is a bit noisy, i suppose all motorbikes rev high, need the power.
How does it do at 90?
I reached 100 mph a while back on a Honda Nighthawk 750 (never again, unless I happen to find myself on some deserted stretch of flat asphalt in rural Utah). I've been up to 85 on my Vulcan, though, and it's fine... when I'm wearing ear plugs! (I also have a PF3 shield, which blocks a lot of wind.)

I wear ear plugs whenever I am riding a long distance. It not only lessens noise, but overall fatigue on a long trip. When they're inserted in my ears, the bike just hums nicely, even at high rpm's. I especially like ETY Plugs -- they fit snugly, and come with a handy connector string that helps keep me from losing one or both of them when I take them out at a gas stop or when I talk on my cell phone!
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I bought them to wear on the bike and when I play in my classic rock band. Now I only wear them on the bike -- I like the pounding music too much!

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 01-31-2009 at 08:56 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
The Professor

Quote:
How do i mod mine lance, do i jet the carbs a bit bigger?? Is mine gutted down like a car to be ozone freindly?
I do have plexifairing which of course has huge resistance, but 120mph headroom sounds brilliant mate, fill me in BUDDY.
All you need is money. $$$$$ My 700cc engine is basically an 800cc stroker. I Had the crank offset ground with custom con rods, custom machined cylinder sleeves and pistons. Pistons were machined w/deeper valve reliefs and compression of 10.08:1 Extensive head work, full on port and polish with combustion area increased, custom SS valves and seats and custom bronze valve guides. SS shims to increase spring pressure. Carbs reworked and fitted with K&N filters on the carbs. Topped off with a V&H exhaust. Piece of cake! LOL. I have to credit ALL the custom maching to a long time friend who lives in Maryland. He builds engines for drag bikes and did not charge me for any of the work. Once he sent the parts back I merely had to put it together.

If you ditch the factory intake and exhaust system 105-110 is no problem!

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 01-31-2009 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou lance, that was one hell of a responce, i dought i'll be doing all that anytime soon.
Is the factory exhaust restricted pretty good? Where would i find a bigger cfm intake?
What kind of rpm's are you running at that speed? So she'll do a 100mph in a headwind eh? Thanks lance.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Most of my limited riding has been commuting to work and around town. I`ve only had one trip about 100 miles away, and found the frame physically too short for me. I am 6 foot tall and #300, so felt felt quite squished up in my midsection after any more than 30 minutes in the saddle. The bike had plenty of power to travel at 70-75 mph, which is about as fast as I want to cruise, considering my limited riding experience. I also don`t care for engine noise above 5-6000 rpm, and the increased fuel consumption that goes along with it.

A smaller rider may find the vn750 fine for long and/or high speed riding. I think in my case though, I would opt for something bigger like a Nomad, for comfort as well as lower engine speed and exhaust noise on the highway.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I rode miine loaded with gear 500 miles to Kentucky for the gathering, I had no problem with any speed.
I did notice that MPG dropped fast when I got over 75 to 80.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement