Full Gear vs Fool's Gear - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 AM

Should we even be allowed to ride a motorcycle at all? Can there be any doubt that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars? Surely motorcycles are too dangerous and the costs to society to high to allow people to ride on motorcycles. Consider how dangerous the activity is even with the appropriate gear. By what factor do you really think the risk is mitigated with the appropriate gear. What, maybe 1/3 less likely to be killed? Surely the risk is just too high. Society simply can't afford the risks and costs associated with motorcycle use.

You see, there is NO logical point whereby to draw the line. Having gear doesn't make motorcycle riding safe. Those who advocate ATGATT seem to think that they are protecting the activity for the rest of us. In fact, the very arguments they make can just as easily turned against motorcycle riding in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

So, ride naked to show the oppressive government we are still free. Interesting concept.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 03-04-2009 at 09:13 AM.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
So, ride naked....
Don't make any dares you don't want to see!!!
That was done by a Yahoo member (maybe two?), with pics to prove it!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Don't make any dares you don't want to see!!!
That was done by a Yahoo member (maybe two?), with pics to prove it!!
I was speaking figuatively, not literally, and with tongue firmly in my cheek! Don't want to emotionally scar any innocent bystanders!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM

I haven't seen anybody wear flip flops on a bike, are there really people that effing stupid in this country?
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworth View Post
Should we even be allowed to ride a motorcycle at all? Can there be any doubt that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars? Surely motorcycles are too dangerous and the costs to society to high to allow people to ride on motorcycles. Consider how dangerous the activity is even with the appropriate gear. By what factor do you really think the risk is mitigated with the appropriate gear. What, maybe 1/3 less likely to be killed? Surely the risk is just too high. Society simply can't afford the risks and costs associated with motorcycle use.
You see, there is NO logical point whereby to draw the line. Having gear doesn't make motorcycle riding safe. Those who advocate ATGATT seem to think that they are protecting the activity for the rest of us. In fact, the very arguments they make can just as easily turned against motorcycle riding in general.

I think that statement would have some, (not alot) validity if EVERYONE rode a bike instead of driving a car. (and doing that in itself would make the road safer...)

Motorcycles , no matter what you think, are a minority, and are a minority when it comes to ways to die or be injured. CARS kill , injure and maim more people per year than anything (some of them folks on bikes), so by your logic we should get rid of cars first. I'm with you on that vote.

Society bears risks and costs? Not usualy. More folks die of heart disesse, and cancer, so picking out motorcycles as one of "societys ills" is just stupid.

I am not sure but it sounds like you are trying to rationalize not wearing any gear under the pretext that there are no guarentee's that it will be helpfull in an accident. That is about as stupid as telling a cop not to wear a bullet-proof vest because he might just get shot in the head anyway.

Helmets are a law in some states, but proper gear is not (as far as I know) I know some states "suggest" one to wear proper riding attire, but no actual law covers it. I have seen shirtless shoeless riders with non-DOT approved helmets and shorts pass cops and not get pulled over.

The bottom line it is your ass and your choice on how well you wish to protect it.

Now I am also unsure how promoting wearing protective gear works against us as motorcyclists. Are you saying that wearing gear is just pointing out to everyone that bike riding may be dangerous? Well bikes are dangerous and just about everypone knows this, so wearing a helmet and protective gear is showing the world you realize this too...as opposed to the shirtless fool that is simply showing everyone how stupid he is or that he just doesn't care. And when "society" sees folks that don't care that tends to make them more angery than anything else...and THAT IS working against us.

Look, I am not going to give anyone crap on what choices they make. If you do not wear a helmet , your just being careless and stupid...but that is my opinion. If you don't wear head to toe protective gear...that is your choice, but again, you are just adding to your risks....and providing the rest of "society" with more ammunition to make protective gear a law , or, to outlaw to bikes altogether...

And when it comes to not being killed, I'll take that 1/3...it may mean alot.

EDIT- some numbers for you:
http://cbs2.com/national/Traffic.dea....2.795108.html

And it is estimated that over 1 MILLION people with die this year from cancer and heart disese.
KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-04-2009 at 05:25 PM.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM

I've been hospitalized plenty of times in my life. I also have close family members that have spent a good deal of time being hospitalized (my wife and I have joked that we need to write a book someday rating hospitals by the quality of their cafeterias. Anyone who has spent any time in a hospital, either as a patient or visitor, particularly between the hours of 2200-0600 knows *exactly* what I'm talking about). While it probably doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, I've decided that it's generally best to spend as little time as possible in the hospital.

When I ride, I use a full-face helmet, Tourmaster Intake Air II jacket, boots, mc gloves and jeans (even in the North Texas heat). I've found that with all of the options that the jacket gives and all of the venting in the helmet, there's no reason *not* to wear this stuff when I ride. Given all of this, I figure that if I were to involuntarily be introduced to the pavement, I'd feel pretty stupid lying in the hospital undergoing skin grafts and doing physical therapy for where my shoulder or elbow hit the road (and unable to get a decent snack at 0200 b/c the cafeteria is closed), all because I wasn't wearing the gear. Of course, I may not feel all that stupid since my un-helmeted head would probably have also bounced off of something hard, turning me into a vegetable and making me blissfully ignorant of the way I was *before* I decided to not wear the gear.

Yes, riding the bike is a risk, but I judge the reward (the enjoyment of riding) to be worth the risk. Riding without gear is a risk, too, but given the advanced state of the gear available, I just don't see how the reward of riding without it outweighs the risk.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to deefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ant View Post
When I ride, I use a full-face helmet, Tourmaster Intake Air II jacket, boots, mc gloves and jeans (even in the North Texas heat).--FA
Sounds like MOTGATT to me

Deefer
94 VG1200 Voyager II

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefer View Post
Sounds like MOTGATT to me
Yep, lose the jeans and get a pair of mesh pants...you'l be safer and cooler.

(skin grafts on thighs and knees hurt just as much as shoulders..)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yep, lose the jeans and get a pair of mesh pants...you'l be safer and cooler.

(skin grafts on thighs and knees hurt just as much as shoulders..)

KM
That's my next piece of gear, KM. Just haven't had the $$ to contribute to the economy just yet. The tax refund is, however, a-comin'. Any brand / model you'd recommend?

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement