Full Gear vs Fool's Gear - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Master Procrastinator

Send a message via AIM to bigrepp61
hey ruby... obiviously you dont wear any gear.... thats your choice... and im glad that you work in the icu... not many people have a stomach for that kind of thing.... but did you ever take into account all the people who dont come in to see you cuz they were wearing gear? i have 3 friends who have had bad crashed... none of them were drinking... none of them were messing around and all three were riding responsibly and defensivly.... yet all three found their way to the pavement and the only thing that kept them from a trip in an ambulance is their gear.... hey i cant force you to wear it but i know that when i hop on im atleast always wearing my helmet jacket gloves and boots... pants are optional!!! anywho what do i know.. im only 23

Mike Reppert
2002 VN 750
1980 Monte carlo

"I am not over weight ,I am under tall" Denny
^^^^^ i completely agree^^^^^^

Last edited by bigrepp61; 02-28-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yes, more people die in cars than on motorcycles, BUT MANY MORE MILES ARE DRIVEN IN CARS THAN ON MOTORCYCLES! If you compare miles driven/ridden, more fatalities occur on bikes than in cars.

It would probably save some lives if people wore helmets any time they are on the road, regardless of the vehicle or even if they are pedestrians. Will they? Probably not, due to the perceived odds involved. I'm not aware of any race car drivers that wear their helmets and Nomex suits in their personal vehicles, or have their family members wear the gear too. They realize that on the track the odds of something going badly are increased and dress accordingly. I realize the odds of something going badly on my bike are greatly increased and wear the gear in an effort to increase my chances of survival. I also know that drinking, taking risks, etc., increase my odds of having an accident and avoid those activities.

If we assume that two riders of equal ability drive the same roads but one of them wears ATGATT and the other never does, statistics prove that the guy with the gear has the best chance of survival.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Love My Baby

Good and true points. I'm certainly not advocating that people don't wear gear. I'm taking a huge risk not wearing ATGATT. But then again, I take a huge risk just riding a motorcycle in south Florida, even if I do wear ATGATT. But for the grace of God, any of us could be mush in the blink of an eye.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Master Procrastinator

Send a message via AIM to bigrepp61
ohh while im thinking of it do you know how much emt's make down there.... im thinking f moving down to that area and i figure thats the only qualifications i have so i figure they can alwas use an emt somewhere.... woldnt mind movin up to a paramedic but need more time/money/training..

Mike Reppert
2002 VN 750
1980 Monte carlo

"I am not over weight ,I am under tall" Denny
^^^^^ i completely agree^^^^^^
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Love My Baby

PM sent

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I pray that your faith, luck and skill continue to keep you safe and in one piece while riding, Rick. However I must point out a flaw in the conclusion you draw from the statistics you quote. You say that 20% of all fatalities are motorcyclists, and I have no reason to dispute that. What I do question though, is what percentage of total miles driven by all traffic was driven by the cyclists. If bikes only account for 2% of total miles driven, but 20% of fatalities, then the death rate is 10 times higher, per mile driven, for bikes than it is for cars. I believe that I am conservative in my example. I recently read that a bike rider is 17 times more likely to be injured in an auto accident than a driver or passenger in a car.

You have the right to choose for yourself how you dress to ride. However I believe wearing atgatt, raises my odds of surviving a wreck and/or avoiding injuries when I go down. I`ve heard many long time riders say that there are only two kinds of riders, those who have gone down, and those who will!! Still wishing you many safe miles in the saddle in the years ahead, my friend.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM

I am a strong proponent of Motorcycle Safety and want to add my voice to those that encourage safe practices. We are all affected to some extent whenever someone is in a motorcycle accident, especially if there are injuries. In addition to the anguish caused to family and friends, there are a number of ways that the Cost is passed on to all of us. First the medical cost to the insurance companies is reflected in our premiums. If a "breadwinner" is out of work there may be costs of Social Services needed to help the affected family that are supported by our taxes. There is also the loss of productivity that an employer sustains. All these costs add up. No one individual bears the full costs of his accident.

As such, we should all follow safe practices and encourage everyone else to as well. There are three areas of motorcycle safety we should promote.
1. Safe Equipment (especially tires & brakes)
2. Safe Riding Practices
3. Personnal Protection (ATGATT)

No one likes to be "told" what to do and I hope that everyone who rides voluntarily takes steps to enhance safety (and reduce costs all bikers and society in general). I am concerned that as motorcycle accidents become more frequent and costly to society there will be increased movement toward regulation. If you think that helmet laws in some states are bad, just wait. (Just remember, 3-wheel ATVs were actually banned.) The new administration will be looking hard for ways to cut healthcare costs in the future and we don't want to be a visible target by racking up lots of statistics.

"The Risks YOU take impact others besides yourself."

Ride Safe and Set a Good Example

- Safety First

Paul

'04 VN750
'75 CB360T
'08 Concours 14
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to deefer
Well, since it gets so cotton-pickin' hot down here in North Texas, I've had to modify ATTGATT to MOTGATT (Most Of The Gear....). I always wear a helmet, jacket (mesh in the summer), gloves and boots. When possible and cooler, I wear leather pants and jacket.

I don't do this because I plan to have a wreck, I do it "just in case". It's like going fishing - I wear a life jacket, not because I plan to jump in the lake, but "just in case".

As many others have said, wearing the gear (MOTGATT or ATTGATT) may not ALWAYS keep you from being hurt, but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. It's a personal choice. I have a riding buddy that still must think he's invincible because he only wears a "dew rag" and gloves. His choice.

Be safe out there and Semper Fi!

Deefer
94 VG1200 Voyager II

Last edited by deefer; 03-03-2009 at 03:23 PM.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

The best advice I can muster on the topic is to dress for the crash and not the ride. This is my old idea of protected in the summer (and yes, those are Craftsman mechanic gloves, not MC gloves):

Since then it's become (you can't really tell, but those are riding specific jeans with knee armor):

I have a mesh jacket also that has full armor and good abrasion resistance, along with leather pants that have vented panels in the right places to keep me from getting overheated. And on REALLY hot days, I wear my camos with some Icon underarmor and Alpinestars knee and shin pads.

post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM

I got mesh pants recently, so I don't know if they are as cool as the mesh jacket I got last summer. My plan is to wear them over jeans when it's cool to warm and shorts when it's HOT. My plan is to die without ever experiencing road rash.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement