Counter Steering Video - it's good - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Counter Steering Video - it's good

Ran across this video on youtube. Just showing counter steering. I wasn't expecting the intro.

I will say that a better way to understand counter steering is pushing in the direction you are turning. So if I'm on a curve to the right, I push my right hand into the turn. Same as turning left you can say but the feel I get is pushing the nose into the turn.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 06-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sadly, as many who in fact do "understand" countersteering, sometimes when faced with a panic situation still treat the handle bars like the steering wheel in their car. They panic, and years of instinct from driving kick in instead. Same happens with braking...they stomp on the rear foot pedal and lock the wheel, or sometimes adrenaline pumped into their system makes them grab the front brake with too much force. (This is why I'm a huge supporter of ABS on bikes)

The key is to practice stopping and evasive maneuvers, and of course learning to think through stressful situations. Riders with years (and years) of experience tend not to have as many (if any) accidents as those who have only been riding a few years (but have decades behind the wheel)

Am glad the rider in the video survived.
JimmyMac likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Always brake with all three of your brakes. I wish I had ABS but wonder how that feels. It freaks me out in a car.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Cool video showing difference:

My FJR had ABS. However it also had extrodanary brakes, so even when I tried to trigger the ABS, the bike always just stopped before the ABS kicked in. Just couldn't get myself to try and lock them up on a wet road at 70 to "test them"
Other riders however posted on the FJR forum how the ABS saved their ass.
Modern bike ABS is far better than what was first offered in cars. It's virtually transparent now, as systems can now "pulse" the brakes at over a hundred times a second.
The opposite of this now is what they call "traction control" which can prevent you from spinning the rear wheel (and breaking it loose) accelerating out of a turn. Some bikes have multiple settings for this depending on the situation...e.g. ...Off/Rain/Street/Track.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
The video was filmed a few hours from me. It's a road a lot of the guys like to ride sportily on, and I don't know why.

Single lane. Blind corners. Often dirty (dirt in the turns.)

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM

Good subject!

It's amazing how many people don't understand counter-steer, and they'll just say, "oh you just lean the way you want to go!"

Anyone that can successfully ride a bike, is counter-steering whether they realize it or not. Most of us have been doing it since we learned on bicycles as kids.

There's a certain speed where counter-steer takes over, maybe 25+, not sure. We all know to turn the bars in the direction we want to go if we're at 10mph or slower in a parking lot.

Had a friend that kept wrecking bikes. He brought one to me saying it wouldn't turn. I rode it, it was bent, since he's already wrecked twice, hit a car once, and a chain link fence. He told me about trying to turn and the bike just goes straight. Had him describe his actions, and he was turning right to go right above 25mph. He didn't understand what I told him about steering, but he finally gave up riding bikes. Watched him in my mirrors once, went straight off a turn and stopped 4" from a drop into acreek..

One way I describe it to people... Push on the right hand grip to go right, push on the left to go left. Once you understand counter-steer, you can quickly dodge almost any obstacle in the road, potholes, roadkill, mufflers, etc. You need to be careful about snapping the bars though, some bikes will go right into a tank slapper at the right speed.
JimmyMac likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Good subject!

It's amazing how many people don't understand counter-steer, and they'll just say, "oh you just lean the way you want to go!"

Anyone that can successfully ride a bike, is counter-steering whether they realize it or not. Most of us have been doing it since we learned on bicycles as kids.

There's a certain speed where counter-steer takes over, maybe 25+, not sure. We all know to turn the bars in the direction we want to go if we're at 10mph or slower in a parking lot.

Had a friend that kept wrecking bikes. He brought one to me saying it wouldn't turn. I rode it, it was bent, since he's already wrecked twice, hit a car once, and a chain link fence. He told me about trying to turn and the bike just goes straight. Had him describe his actions, and he was turning right to go right above 25mph. He didn't understand what I told him about steering, but he finally gave up riding bikes. Watched him in my mirrors once, went straight off a turn and stopped 4" from a drop into acreek..

One way I describe it to people... Push on the right hand grip to go right, push on the left to go left. Once you understand counter-steer, you can quickly dodge almost any obstacle in the road, potholes, roadkill, mufflers, etc. You need to be careful about snapping the bars though, some bikes will go right into a tank slapper at the right speed.
Yep, I think a much better way to explain it to people is pushing it into the turns. I push down on the turn side. So it feels like you are pusing the front wheel down into it and gripping the road better. It's actually kinda like riding a ave in that you can actually feel the grip of the tire.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
The video was filmed a few hours from me. It's a road a lot of the guys like to ride sportily on, and I don't know why.

Single lane. Blind corners. Often dirty (dirt in the turns.)
The only time I've ever had issues with sliding is when I lived in Myrtle Beach. Seemed like every damn corner had sand on it. Sht is like ice.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Cool video showing difference:
https://youtu.be/M3MfLcJLaCs

My FJR had ABS. However it also had extrodanary brakes, so even when I tried to trigger the ABS, the bike always just stopped before the ABS kicked in. Just couldn't get myself to try and lock them up on a wet road at 70 to "test them"
Other riders however posted on the FJR forum how the ABS saved their ass.
Modern bike ABS is far better than what was first offered in cars. It's virtually transparent now, as systems can now "pulse" the brakes at over a hundred times a second.
The opposite of this now is what they call "traction control" which can prevent you from spinning the rear wheel (and breaking it loose) accelerating out of a turn. Some bikes have multiple settings for this depending on the situation...e.g. ...Off/Rain/Street/Track.
I want anti-lock brakes and I want them NOW!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I want anti-lock brakes and I want them NOW!
Pick one:

Guide to 2014 Motorcycles and Scooters With ABS - Consumer Reports News

Also list here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...s_under_11000/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 06-02-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement