Turn that front wheel when parking - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Now what

Turn that front wheel when parking

Learned this the hard way two days ago. Had the bike fall off the kickstand. Even though I put the kickstand down all the way, I set it near a small crack in the drive that had some grass in it. Started the bike and went to the garage to put some gear on. Bike warmed up and started reving high like it usually does. I went back to adjust the choke. I just touched the choke lever, and down she went. Total surprise because I distinctly remember putting down the stand and seeing where it was on the ground. I figure it vibrated enough to move into that crack, compress the grass and because I didn't have the wheel turned to the side, it rolled forward enough to fold the kickstand. If the wheel had been turned, I don't believe it could have moved forward. Broke the LH step and the support for the PF3 popped out on the left side. Won't know for sure if that's screwed or not until I can take the bike out and see what happens at speed.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM

I my self has had this happen to me so now center stand it goes from now on hope every thing is ok with the bike
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Addicted to Projects

Hope the bike is OK.

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!

A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Hope the bike is OK. Don't feel bad. A week after getting my VN750, I parked on a slight downhill (that's right, a downhill, don't ask why), put down the kickstand and started to get off the bike. It started going down and I barely held on and kept if off the ground. Pulled out my back for 2 weeks but it was worth it. I don't always turn the front wheel though when I park, now I will. Good luck with the repairs!

VulcanTL
2003 Vulcan 750
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
... Broke the LH step and the support for the PF3 popped out on the left side....
I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. In a similar incident, I had a close call when I picked up my bike from the dealer. I started it while standing beside it, assuming that the bike was in neutral. It wasn't! (The mechanic had parked it and left it in first gear.) I barely caught it when it jumped forward!

My bike has fallen over twice in my driveway -- once to the left, and once to the right -- and in both instances my PF3 took the brunt of the fall and prevented the bike itself from being damaged. (The wings of the shield are a bit scuffed, but that's a small price to pay!)

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 10-16-2008 at 05:29 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:30 PM

My PF2 is scarred pretty bad on the left side. Did the same thing. Started it and turned around. Was just about to put my pack on it when it fell.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Kawika

I always turn the wheel to the lock position (left) when using the sidestand since it dropped a couple times....have not had any new drops since doing this for the last year or so...even when it's running and on a very slight downward slope like my driveway.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 03:39 AM

Anyone mind telling me what is a PF2 or PF3 please

Regards
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Now what

PF stands for PlexiFairing. It's a windshield that fits the bike. The 3 has lowers that the 2 doesn't.

Thanks for the concerns. Bike should be ok once I replace the step. It's on order and should be here in a week or two. This is a good time of the year for this since the good weather's gone south leaving us with fog/mist in the morning and rain in the afternoon.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:29 AM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
I have this rule. If its not on level ground and on the center stand, it doesn't get started until I'm sitting on it.

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement