Motorcycles and Cager educaiton - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycles and Cager educaiton

I will be taking the MSF starting Wednesday next week. With about three years previous experience riding, but an 8 year break till I picked up this 750,i t seems like a good idea. I did not take any formal training when I got my first street bike 11+ years ago, but I think its a good thing and am happy to see it promoted. However one thing gets in my craw.
For all the measures being taken by bikers to increase our skills, education, protective gear, ect. Have we forgotten that in a bike vs car/truck/SUV/Semi/highway rail/road debris/anything collision that the bike and biker always come out on the short end of the stick. And for all the NHSA is trying to do, why does it seem that car driver education includes nothing regarding motorcycles, not even a single question or mention in any manuals or tests. I realize it is hard to educate road debris on how to look out for a biker before inserting itself in a fearing or breaking a shin. But SURELY its not that hard for a state to add a paragraph on looking out for motorcycles, and explain their limitations to their car driver education manuals? Of course in just the few weeks since I got back on a bike, I have become more aware that some "cagers" are about as intelligent as road debris. But I think it would be beneficial on the safety front to education the damage inflicter's as much as the unfortunate recipients.

Last edited by midimcnasty; 10-01-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM

i think the MSF course has something to offer everyone no matter how much previous experience you have (there's something for everyone). i have wondered myself about the lack of information provided to car drivers about the awareness of motorcycles. i guess thats one reason not to let your guard down when riding.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Amen brother. I started riding just a few months ago and have encouraged everyone I talk to about the bike to read the manual for the safety course. EVERYONE, biker and cager alike, should read that!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Even thought I am pretty sure the Missouri Motor Vehicle Handbook that they give you when you are trying to get your drivers licence does in fact mention motorcycles and points out the diffrences in their perfomance , manuverablility , and vungrability ... learning this along with all the other crap you have to know to get your licence is rather useless.

I do not remember ANYTHING that was on the drivers test. (back when dinosaours ruled the earth) But, I do remember the TV ad I saw about drinking and driving last week.

My point here is that if you want cage drivers to be more "aware" of us folks on two wheels..even a whole page in the drivers ed book will not burn into their head as fast as a repetitive ad on television.
I mean hell...just getting them to use their turn signals (as is the law) is asking alot...(and this too is in the Handbook)

If you want to "edjucate" car drivers about bikes, you need to buy billboards, and advertising time on TV and Radio.

And lucklily there are states that do this, and there a orginazations like the AMA that do this too. Lately insurance companies have got in to the act with ads too.

Alot more can be done of course, but as my Dad said "You can lead a horse to water, but he will likely piss in it first" meaning as much as one can try and tell a car driver to be aware of motorcycles , it only works on those who are in fact listening.
So many drivers today are so poorly focused on what they are doing it is a real wonder to me that I don't see more accidents daily.

Last week I had a guy in a truck rear end me while driving my car...glad it was the car and I was not on my bike....but if he had been paying better attention it would not have happened. (I'm pretty sure he was on his cell phone)

So write your congressman, join the AMA and ask them to sponser more ads, and then tell everyone you know to tell everyone they know to watch out for bikes while driving.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Love My Baby

Amen to KM's post, too. Repetitive TV commercials and a few spots on the nightly news are the most effective means of getting into peoples brains. And the most effective way to avoid collisions is to leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front of you. Problem is you can't completely control the amount of space between you and the people behind you. "They" need to control that better.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Naw, I disagree. There are countless anti DUI ads and Click it or Ticket campaigns and the idiots are still out there. I had one of my former Sailors get arrested for DUI on a Saturday morning. This after training on the previous Thursday on drinking and driving and a Safety Stand down on Friday on not drinking and driving. It's kind of like locking the front door, it only keeps honest people honest. The real burglar will get in anyway. For drivers, no matter how many Public Service Announcements or ads are run on TV and radio, they will remain oblivious because obviously, it certainly doesn't mean them. It's for the other guy. How else do you explain the idiot who was reading a book while shaving and driving (if you could call it that) at the same time? Yes, I witnessed this and I still have a hard time believing it.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
Naw, I disagree. There are countless anti DUI ads and Click it or Ticket campaigns and the idiots are still out there. ...

The part of my post about the horse peeing in the water was kinda my point about this. Ads, billboards, etc..will only make an impression on those that pay attention...But... To say they are useless and do not do anything is unfair and unfounded.
That the vast majority of folks don't pay attention or think the ads are not aimed at them will never be changed..but you can't stop trying, You can not write off everyone as some folks do get the message....even if it takes pounding in repeatedly. Look what they did with smoking.

All car drivers are not insensitive idiots..even if at times it seems so. No one I know wants to kill or hurt anyone and if presented in the right way you can make a diffrence in some peoples minds with an intelligent ad or informative sign.

You get enough folks talking and laws get changed...

Perhaps if they made DUI a capital offence folks might think twice ?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 AM

if drivers education, billboards, and advertising time on TV and Radio sink into (at a minimum) only a few concerned heads then at least thats a few less heads we need we worrie about.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Wow, a lot of well thought out comments. I had not thought of the value of a repetitive T.V campaign or such KM. I see your point regarding its potential to be more effect that a quickly learned soon forgotten driver ed manual addition. Your analogy of the anti smoking campaign is a good one. I smoked since I was 16 until finally quiting 2 years ago. Not solely because of a advertisement campaign, but I have to say that having smoking become as socially unacceptable as a heroine habit did have some influence. :-) email to AMA and Congressman going out today.
:-)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM

I agree with the smoking analogy. I've raised awarness just having the "watch for motorcyclists" sticker on the back of my Jeep. Bikers and cagers alike have made comments to me at intersections: bikers thanking me and cagers asking where they can get one. Even if some cagers don't ride they may know a biker and want to help out. That's been my experience anyway.

And to answer the question cagers asked:

http://bumperstickers.cafepress.com/...icker/33090329

It says "save a life" on it too, most people won't ignore that. Buy 'um and slap 'um on your everyday vehicle. Its a start...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 10-02-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement