putting famly as ease as new riders \ spousal safety debates - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
As my signature line says, "Ride till you rot!" There is real truth in those words.
I agree there brother

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm not giving up the pizza. I may as well learn to ride, and enjoy it..

besides my wife has to know I can't\won't jump as deep into this as I did with firearms. Talk about expensive training between travel, using 500-1k of ammo per class and the class cost itself - well worth it.

Thanks for the info.

2002 vn750
AGM battery, Shinko 230 tires oversized front
Ear shaved - k&n pods, drilled clutch basket
MCCT
40/138 jetting

If I can split a case and make it work - you can too!
Forum pictures:http://s150.photobucket.com/user/Gid...?sort=3&page=1
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Motorcycles are more dangerous than cars.... If you have no real experience riding one, you should ask yourself how well will your family be off if you were to get killed?
Weigh your desire to ride over the thought of your children having no father.

This is something you have to decide on your own, and asking folks here to try and convince your wife "you'll be alright" is the one thing no one here can really promise her.

So at least , I for one .....won't ....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
It ain't about the destination, its about how much fun you have getting there.I'd much rather die with a smile on my face then some miserable ****.

sportster seat

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Garage
make it happen...

Like KM said, i dont think anyone here is going to tell you it is save. the statistics are staggering! you can never control everyone else on the road with you. however, you have to ride with confidence or you are going to hurt yourself before someone else does. likewise, you passenger has to be confident in their riding ability and knowledge.

i do have a bit of a success story though. My GF was scared of the motorcycle. so i bought her a helmet. she was surprised and scared. we went out last summer and the first several times we went out we only went around the block. she was getting used to being a passenger and i was teaching her how to be a better passenger. eventually we got on a street with heavier traffic, but only for a few blocks. when i felt comfortable with her as a passenger, one day i just got on the highway. she was scared but didnt freak out. she loves riding now. she is still scared and i am scared to death about having to make a call to her parents. but we are having fun. she will never ride her own bike (so she says), but we are looking forward to getting out of the city, on the bike, this summer.

now everyone is different, and "throwing someone in the deep end" isnt the best way to go about it for everyone, but for my GF it worked. i spent money on a helmet, she got on the bike. and we went super slow with learning and with speed. i think that is about as successful and one can be!

good luck.
fishgolf77 likes this.

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:07 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Well if coming home with a helmet got her on the back of the bike,come home with a bike

sportster seat

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:10 PM

Garage
ODD, fair point! Maybe I'll try it. ?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
If she doesn't ride it you now have two bikes.it's a win/win

sportster seat

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidaeon View Post
I would value any input\stories on constructively promoting an apprehensive wive's openness to riding. Any thoughts experiences you can share beyond taking MSF courses (starting that later this month myself) . . .
Long time ago, back in my twenties, even since riding bikes since i was in my teens, there i was doing about 35 in a 40 on a turn-lane divided 5 lane city street just sort of putting along since was only heading about a mile or so away. I was taking a pal of mine home, was in the right lane of the two. . . putt putt putt on my 450...

came over a small hill and about 30 yards away was a pickem-up truck stopped broadside across both lanes.

With the extra weight and well accustomed to my bike, i had two choices. Try and stop without hitting it. Or go around it. The former choice was obviously going to fail, so, i chose the latter.

I remember putting my foot down on the left side because this was going to be a hard "dirt bike" sort of swerve i would need, and sure enough that little bit helped do the trick.

I was just able to get around into the center turn-lane and straighten her out and the last thing i can remember even to this day was looking to the right as i passed behind the truck thinking to myself, "daayyyyyumm... that was a close one, shoooooo".

According to some people ( bikers ) behind far enough back to observe what happened, i got around the back of the truck just before he started peeling rubber in reverse, they heard a real loud crack and i ended up sailing across the street where i landed on my head ( no helmet by the way since i gave it to my passenger ), while my passenger went sliding another 70 yards ( according to the cops ) with the bike on top of his leg.

So, long story short, because we had both died ( according to the ambulance and hospital ) when i woke up in a bed, there were two real ugly cops standing there asking me what happened. Then they told me i was being charged with murder. Great story so far, huh? Fortunately, my friend got out of critical care and they had to drop the charges. Oh... there is a point to this story, right....

I no longer "drive" a bike. I ride like i feel like it and it is *COMMON* in these parts to have some high-strung pick up truck pull right into the same lane ( blind spot? who knows ) and i am quite accustomed to dealing with such things at a moments notice since i *RIDE* my bike like a dirt bike with "moving car shaped trees". I will ignore any law, rule, common courtesy, or "what ever", that i feel like any time i feel like for whatever reason i feel like without mandatory advanced notice.

I never drink. I never dope. I never smoke the weed. But this is Los Angeles and EVERYONE ELSE DOES. Make sense? Great! There was a news story on TV last week about hit-and-run accidents in this area. The statistic was 1 every 18 minutes and that included a hefty percentage of PEDESTRIANS. ( anyone want pizza yet? )

So,... right, yeah, i am sure i will get flamed for writing this ( yet again ) but i'd rather say it like it is from my perspective than give anyone even the inkling that little words on paper are anything close to riding a bike in reality.

Did i mention the time the trucker out on a divided highway, just me and him, nobody else around, decided to drive into the shoulder at full speed just long enough to purposely spray chat all over me just because i was on a bike? yeah...

Moral of the story... "safe" is an illusion. Forget about about it and enjoy life.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM

I think it all starts with a defensive riding mindset.. Like mentioned, Always be on the look out for A holes... One good thing is bikes meneuver better than cars... Take the course, always have an out lane.. But i'm new to this so what do i know.. My wifes knows i'm happy when i ride so she doesn't get on me too much.. i wear my helmet, gloves, and need to get a orange vest .. Can't be too safe right..

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement