High Visibility - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

High Visibility

The key to not getting hit by car drivers is visibility. I see a lot of bike riders wearing black jackets with black helmets. They " blend " right in with most blacktop roads. They are not invisible but they don't stand out and are often not noticed by the car drivers. I wear a BLAZE ORANGE color jacket ( the type deer hunters wear for outstanding visibility, so they don't get shot by another hunter ) and a bright red helmet. When my wife or son ride with me I make them wear a BLAZE ORANGE vest and red helmet so they are as visible as I am. High visibility Lime Green will work as well with a white helmet. We must make ourselves visible to car drivers, bright colored jackets and helmets will help a lot towards that goal. You still have to ride defensively, but the bright colors help a lot towards making you more visible than wearing dark colors. That why I use the " handle" of Blaze Orange. I am totally dedicated to high visibilty. So far so good, three years and 15,000 miles on my VN750 have been safe so far. Hope this one tip helps save a life someday. God Bless.

Last edited by Blaze Orange; 07-07-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Welcome to "the club"....

check out this thread I posted a while back:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ht=loud+colors

and also, inside this page, the writer confirms the same thing:

http://www.bamarider.com/new_page_3.htm

Personally, when I ride, I wear a Shoei RF-1000, with Shoei's "axis yellow" color..........

http://www.amazon.com/RF-1000-RF1000.../dp/B000J4F7ZA

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
High Vis helmets, jackets, pants, etc...should not be thought of as a cure of any sorts, you can still have idiots run you down. (You can still have deer jump in front of you or have drunks weave into you.) So , what I am saying is there is no guaranty that wearing said items will at some point save you....

BUT, they can only help. I have been fairly vocal about wearing bright colors as oppossed to dark ones for years. The "classic" biker get-up of black leather jacket, black jeans and if helmet, flat black paint , has alot to do with style and not much to do with safety. Granted , a leather jacket is a good move, but as our numbers increase, along with everything else out on the road, we need to start thinking offensively and not just defencively.

For years is was difficult to find riding gear in anything but black. Times have changed and many companies not only offer brighter colors, but even offer BRIGHT colors , like high vis yellows and greens.
Olympic makes there popular "Phantom" one piece suit in a bright yellow:
http://tinyurl.com/2ufkca
Fieldsheer makes jackets with bright yellow trim and reflective bits:
http://tinyurl.com/5o7b5e

And even leather jackets can be had with a bit of eye catching color:
http://tinyurl.com/6fsmed

Another good idea for those that ride at night, is to add reflective stripes, dots, pinstriping, etc to your helmet and bike..(they sell refective fabric to sew to jackets/pants too..) See here for ideas:
http://www.reflectivelyyours.com/

You can even get reflective pinstripes for your wheels:
http://tinyurl.com/56aup4

Again, not a cure, but a way to improve the odds so to speak.

So, you do not have too look like a deer hunter riding a bike (not that there is anything wrong with that...) as there are alot of options in gear if you wish to maintain some sort of "style" but make yourself a bit more noticable.

Another thing to consider is most folks are "fair weather" riders, and they spend most of their time riding on those hot sunny days of summer. Black helmets and gear are just making you hotter here. Be cooler and be more noticable. Dress for sucess as they say.................

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Doesn't blaze orange blend in with all the orange barrels, and high-viz yellow blend in with all the construction workers standing around those barrels?!

Bright shirts do make a difference. I was at a Reds baseball game the other night, and all the venders moving through the stands were wearing high-viz orange shirts. Even a sight-impaired fan could locate a beer-seller from the other side of the ballpark!

OK, re: riding ~ in cooler weather I still like to wear my black Fox Creek Leather jacket. But I've been thinking about putting an Icon mesh vest over it at night or during bad weather...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Mesh-Vest.aspx.

For warmer weather, I wear a very bright (but pleasingly) yellow Joe Rocket 4.0 mesh jacket. (I ordered it online because the stores only stocked the more standard but less visible black, red, blue, gray, etc. I also replaced the stock spine pad with a tougher one.) Here is the 5.0 version...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...50-Jacket.aspx.

Re: helmets... I considered orange and yellow, but stayed with basic white, which is especially visible at night, and cooler on those hot commutes, especially when I'm slowed down by the orange barrels...

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 07-08-2008 at 10:35 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I agree that bright colors help, but aren't the sure fire cure for stupid people who just don't pay attention on the road.
How many times has there been an accident involving two cars and the person who caused it says "I didn't see the other car"

A lot is up to the rider to pay attention to what all is going on around them.

But yes, bright colors certainly help.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

This is an issue that has moved front and center in my world this week. This past Monday, my wife was hit by a car while riding her bicycle. All in all it has been a very unpleasant experience!! Thank God her injuries, while serious, were not life altering. She is a serious rider with over 17 years of experience, who averages between 4000 and 5000 miles each season. This is the first time she has ever had an accident. She has had a couple of close calls over the years, but she is a very alert rider and has been lucky enough to avoid any accidents. She always wears bright colors, and always wears a helmet. On Monday she was wearing a very bright, orange and yellow jersey. The road she was on was wide and clear, with very light traffic. A 78 year old woman attempting to make a left onto the road my wife was riding, "didn't see her" and accelerated directly into the side of the bike. The force was enough so that the pedal of my wife's bike left a hole in the license plate of the car; and this was after the car was at a dead stop at a stop sign on the side street! Whether she was on a bicycle or motorcycle, she would not have been able to avoid the collision. (My wife was riding at a little over 20 MPH when she was hit) The doctors told us that her helmet probably saved her life, but most certainly prevented any serious head injuries. I had the opportunity to discuss the incident with the police officer who responded to the scene (on his motorcycle), the doctor in the trauma center who treated her (an avid motorcycle rider), and the nurse in the ER (commutes daily on his Hardley), and they all felt a connection between her accident and their motorcycle riding. I had to ride my bike from work to the hospital when I got the call, and I can say that the connection wasn't lost on me the whole way there. The lesson from this experience echoes what Hyper said, there are people on the road who aren't paying enough attention to what is going on around them. Be as visible as you can out there, but be prepared for that other driver who isn't paying attention. Wear protective gear when you ride in case you find yourself skidding along the pavement (even if you are not required to by law). The police officer said it more than once during our brief conversation, you have to ride with your head on a swivel because they are out there. Ride Safe!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Expert Advice Giver

ChrisC - Hope your wife is back to good health soon. Ditto to you and Knifemaker and Hyper. Make yourself visible, but drive defensively by paying close attention to what's around you (caged idiots). I get very nervous when I see drivers holding their cell phone and making lane changes without even a glance at what's beside them and then without making a turn signal, and all the time they are doing 70 mph.

1994 VN750
32K+
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Avon Venom Front & Rear Tire
Mustang Seat
Fire and Steel Luggage Rack
Fire and Steel Engine Guard
Fire and Steel Sissy Bar
KawaVulcan Saddlebags
eBay Genuine Imitation Chrome Mirrors
Kury Chrome Levers
Battery Tendered
Taillight LED'd
Splines Lubed
Wheelies Popped

2009 Triumph Rocket III
1974 Suzuki TS250
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Chris, I'll keep your wife in my prayers as she mends. And thanks for the reminder about colors, protective gear, and just paying attention. I can't be reminded enough.

EZC

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. She is definitely on the mend.

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 PM

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze Orange View Post
The key to not getting hit by car drivers is visibility. I am totally dedicated to high visibilty. So far so good, three years and 15,000 miles on my VN750 have been safe so far. Hope this one tip helps save a life someday. God Bless.
It sure helps to be seen, but I still ride like everyone is out to hit me. I use a great winter HiVis green jacket with reflective stripes for cool to cold weather, a Carheart vis green heavy T for warm weather, and a lightweight green T with reflective stripes for hot weather. I tried painting a helmet with HiVis green, but it really looked bad. When I wear my riding leather, I put on a HiVis vest.

My bro has a Joe Rocket summer riding coat with built in armor and reflective stripes. Great protection, but I'm way more visible.

The only testament I can give that the HiVis stuff works is I'm still alive after 42 years of riding in all types of weather, day or night.

BTW I've put LED marker lights on the bike that work well in daylight as well as night. Picked them up at the local truck stop.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse