My first crash - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Dirt to road

My first crash

Well rode for about 2 weeks now to work and back and was nothing but awesomeness. I was heading home today minding my own business bout to go on my favorite s curve in the road, 20 mph left 90 degree curve. I love to hit that going bout 25 mph and tip my bike and lay it down till the foot pegs drag. Anyway i was slowing down and started to lean into the curve when a car that i couldn't see cause of trees was driving in my lane! I then threw my bike the opposite way to the right and slammed on my brakes, went off the road lost control and tipped my over on the left and i rolled foward in a bean field. Another second sooner i would have been hit head on. The guy kept driving and didn't even stop, 6 people drove by and never stopped.... broken thumb i think, scrapes, broken turn signals, mirror, handle bar slightly bent, clutch lever bent, ans forks outta alignment. Coulda been alot worst...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438392741957.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	24866   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438392756669.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	24874   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438392767790.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	24882  

Project Bike 92 VN750
Days running: 0
Project Pictures http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/dieinghost/library/

Up coming Projects:
NOW- Getting it running....
Winter of 2015- Bobber Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 PM

Glad you're ok!
Mike DeAngelo likes this.

"Katie"
2002 VN 750, stock except for accessories
Mustang seat
Super Bright LED brake strobe on trunk
About 25k miles
All drive train maintenance performed, drive shaft coupler replaced
Way more experienced at pulling VN 750 carbs than I ever wanted to be.
TOC ACCT rebuild kits installed
Pick up coil mod
Cooling system flushed, refilled with fresh coolant
Petcock rebuilt
VN sold, current steed Honda ST 1300
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Glad you're OK man

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM

First Crash

Sorry to hear of your accident. Remember to ride like everone is out to get you. Sounds like you handled it as well as you can something like that. The bean field was a good landing place. To bad the passers by weren't more helpful.
Hope you can get the bike back on the road soon.

New to me 2004 15k Last liscened in 2011. Stock as they come.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 PM

Let's hope that is your last crash. Wishing you a speedy recovery and quick fix on your cycle. With that said, always think that you are not seen and drive defensively. Watch for any signs indicating curves, slow down and get into the portion of the lane away from on-coming traffic. If you are hitting the foot pegs in the turns, you are leaning over too far and going to fast. That sort of thing can take you down.
Good Luck.

'99 VN750, all stock
performed driveshaft maintenance
checked the ACCT using the Grambo Trick
Sycned carbs with flow meter
Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9 Irridium Spark Plugs
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 PM
Jack of all trades

Bummer man. What sucks is you just got it on the road. But anything you can walk away from is something to be thankful for.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Dirt to road

Amen angel. Im so glad that i walked, hell rode away haha thank you all! Everything is starting too hurt now, bursed shoulder and my thumb is fractured. Besided that and some cuts and a little mangled bike im 100% ok, thank God. Ill probably be the most defensive rider now haha

Project Bike 92 VN750

Up coming Projects:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:47 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraholiday View Post
Well rode for about 2 weeks now to work and back and was nothing but awesomeness. I was heading home today minding my own business bout to go on my favorite s curve in the road, 20 mph left 90 degree curve. I love to hit that going bout 25 mph and tip my bike and lay it down till the foot pegs drag. Anyway i was slowing down and started to lean into the curve when a car that i couldn't see cause of trees was driving in my lane! I then threw my bike the opposite way to the right and slammed on my brakes, went off the road lost control and tipped my over on the left and i rolled foward in a bean field. Another second sooner i would have been hit head on. The guy kept driving and didn't even stop, 6 people drove by and never stopped.... broken thumb i think, scrapes, broken turn signals, mirror, handle bar slightly bent, clutch lever bent, ans forks outta alignment. Coulda been alot worst...
Glad to hear you and the scoot are not banged up any worse dh.

So what did you learn from this incident?

You have to expect the unexpected when riding on public roads.
You are not going to try to tell me that you have never crossed a center line going around a curve while driving are you?

If you could not see all the way around the curve because of trees, you either need to slow down or change your "line" around that curve, so you can see farther into it before starting to turn in. David L. Hough refers to it as a "delayed apex", staying farther to the outside of the curve before starting your turn in. If you cannot safely stop in the distance you can see going around a curve, or topping a hill (sight distance), you are going too fast. When your sight distance starts to close up on you, get on your brakes--BOTH FRONT AND REAR, NOW!!

The difference between a crash and a clean get-a-way in most instances is about two seconds more reaction time according to some experts in the insurance industry.

I suggest that all riders, noobs as well as long time riders can all learn something from Hough's books on Proficient Motorcycling available in the link following.

http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough...ntt_dp_epwbk_0

I would like to make a suggestion to all members that when you report a crash or near miss, that you also ponder what you could have done differently to prevent the incident, and report your ideas for becoming a safer rider.

There was a middle aged couple killed on a motorcycle 5 miles from my home about 3 years ago, in what I consider to have been an easily preventable crash. They had been riding for several hours in a strong crosswind from Edmonton to Lethbridge, a distance of 320 miles or so. It would be reasonable to assume the driver was fatigued in both body and mind and not as responsive as he had been earlier in the ride home. They were only about 5 miles from home, a distance where many of us start to let our guard down because we know the area and start to think about what we need to do when we do get home.

This rider was on a two lane highway with a short divider fence but no median in between. He was in the left side tire track, and leaned over significantly to the left into the wind. Another rider alleges that he was also exceeding the speed limit by some unknown amount. An oncoming SUV started to make a left turn across the bike's path before seeing it and stopping. The bike and riders struck the drivers side front corner and were thrown some distance into the ditch.

The bike riders had the right of way. They were also the ones who died.

The SUV driver was in the wrong. (He is also a rider that I knew slightly from bike night. He was also traumatized by the hurt he had caused, and did not ride again for a long time.)

I contend that the rider should have recognized the danger potential of the left turning SUV facing him. If he had slowed down 10 mph pre-emptively and moved over 4-5 feet to the right hand tire track, I believe he would not have hit the SUV, and would still be alive today.

The horizontal movement of the bikes headlight those 4-5 feet may have been just enough to have caught the SUV drivers attention in time to stop him from rolling into the bikes path too. (google SMIDSY---Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You.)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
1: Glad you're OK

2: (unrelated to the crash, but in regards to sporty turning) don't push the bike down into a turn (like dirt bike riders do), you want to put your weight into the turn before the bike, thus why the sport bike guys lean off their bike. If you are scraping hard parts, you are at the bike's designed lean angle, and don't have much to go. It's unwise to ride at near-100% on the street, no mater what the skill level. If you are not riding at or near-100%, then you have time and space to react accordingly (most of the time). For street riding, a 'delayed apex' is suggested as well.

Read this if you have the time: http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16...riding-skills/

I went down on my VN too. Parking lot, pea sized gravel, and a overzealous u-turn. I broke my ankle for that one so glad you got off a bit lighter. A thumb is no fun.. though.

The center stand does a good job protecting the exhaust on that side of the bike! Saved mine from real damage.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Last edited by thtanner; 08-01-2015 at 02:23 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Dirt to road

My crash was less then 2 miles from home so yeah i let my guard down cause i knew that curve very well. The first time i went on that curve on my bike i went like 5 mph lol i guess ive been just trying to push limit on the bike (see how low i can get it.) Ive been riding dirt for over 10 years and have alot of bad habits for the road. When i first started riding i always wanted to put my foot up in turns and the seat position was so different i keep putting my feet on imaginary pegs. Just a note this all happened before the curve, if it would have been 1 sec sooner and done what i usually do i probably would be dead from a head on collision. Im the type of person that learns the hardway, im going to be the most defensive rider now. Thanks for your input guys! Anyone have a left mirror?

Project Bike 92 VN750

Up coming Projects:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement